gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 06:43:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Smile Sessions Companion - Disk 1 (Stereo) *fixed tracks and mp3*  (Read 21466 times)
Barnshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2011, 01:21:29 AM »

Hi Everyone,
Just finished the first disk of my "Smile Sessions Companion" set. This is a complete stereo re-creation of TSS Disk 1 mix (down to the fades, fly-ins and volume adjustments).
While I dearly love the mono mix, the stereo offers an altogether different listening experience - it's less "punchy" and "deep" than the mono but it allows you to "immerse" in the soundscape in a way that isn't possible with the mono mix. I took an approach of "stereo all the way", tastefully using panning tricks and added reverb for some tracks. It might not be for the taste of some, but the "stereo-philes" will enjoy.

Many thanks for the Smiley Smilers who took the time and care to make their own mixes, especially bruiteur, seltaeb1012002, soniclovenoize and AlternateBrianWilson whose creative mixing ideas are all over my version. And of course thanks to ML&AB who made all this possible! We can't thank you enough.
Now, for the music.

DL in FLAC:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ebohkga11j6psub
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tpclawrtcy757ep
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?0wv63jeg8ftvyd0

3 fixed tracks (flac):
Heroes and Villains - improved stereo mix http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?kuardevwjr4flpx
Surf's Up - shortened silence before the track starts http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jllddgtpvt39evg
Good Vibrations - fixed the dropout http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?0ukv08bfzo6w6a3

Mp3 version (including the fixed tracks): http://www.mediafire.com/?nteo6eopdleu71t

I hope you enjoy it!

Coming soon -
TSS Componion Disk 2 - Historical Mono Re-Creation
TSS Componion Disk 3 - BW vintage Smile mixes and edits
TSS Companion Disks 4-9 - Additional Session Material
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 02:52:33 AM by Barnshine » Logged
Barnshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 01:22:38 AM »

Sources used are -

Our Prayer: Mok's Smile (20/20, GV Box)
Gee: TSS Disks 2, 1
Heroes and Villains: TSS Disks 1, 2
Do You Like Worms: TSS Disks 3, 1, SOT 17, seltaeb1012002's SMiLE A.D
I'm in Great Shape: TSS Disks 2, 1
Barnyard: seltaeb1012002's mix
My Only Sunshine: TSS Disks 3, 1
Cabin Essence: TSS Disks 3, 1, TSS Vinyl Side 4, 20/20, truckdrivindenny's Isolated Vocal, SMiLE A.D
Wonderful: TSS Disk 1, Mark Linett's 1988 Comp Reel
Look: TSS Disks 3, 1, Endless Harmony 5.1 Extractions
Child is Father of the Man: TSS Disks 3, 1, Vigotone, Mark Linett's 1988 Comp Reel
Surf's Up: TSS Vinyl Side 4, Endless Harmony 5.1 Extractions, TSS Disk 3
Friday Night: TSS Disk 3
Vega-Tables: TSS Vinyl Side 4, TSS Disk 3
Holidays: TSS Disks 4, 1, SOT 18
Wind Chimes: TSS Vinyl Side 4, TSS Disks 4, 1
The Elements - Fire: TSS Disk 4, Stereo Smiley Smile
Love to Say Da Da: SOT 17, TSS Disks 4, 1, Mok's Smile
Good Vibrations: TSS Disks 1, 5
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 01:29:15 AM by Barnshine » Logged
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 01:42:52 AM »

Just downloading,  thanks.
Barnshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 01:49:41 AM »

...Although I double checked everything, now I found out that 2 mixes are flawed - GV and SU (SU starts a second too late, which is not a big deal, GV has a dropout before the 2nd verse which is really bothering). I'll post those 2 songs corrected as soon as possible.
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 03:45:22 AM »

Sounds great so far.....but what did you do to H&V? The backing track is lower than on the mono and I can't even hear the drums (unless there's something wrong with my system).

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 07:52:38 AM »

Thanks for uploading this. Sounds great.
adam78
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 08:40:55 AM »

Sounds great so far.....but what did you do to H&V? The backing track is lower than on the mono and I can't even hear the drums (unless there's something wrong with my system).

This was a big complaint of mine regarding the Stereo H&V on the boxset. The mix is just awful. No excuse, hold your hands up Linett, terrible. Once the backing vocals kick in on the verses, you may as well call it an acapella!!

Edit: Actually one of the things Brian was truly best at, was knowing how to bury something in a mix knowing that it still adds to the whole sound of a record. It's always dangerous when people try to mix to get certain things, or even everything heard. I think this stereo mix in question was done to highlight the many brilliant vocal parts in stereo. Unfortunately, it's at the expense of the feel of the entire song. Look at how many things are buried into Brian Wilson mixes that sound genius on their own, yet are hard to pick out individually.  He knew the feel of a complete song and how to get it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 08:55:01 AM by adam78 » Logged
adam78
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 08:42:12 AM »

Oh and thank you very much for sharing this. I'll take a listen. I've been really looking forward to this from you since you announced it.
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 08:52:56 AM »

This was a big complaint of mine regarding the Stereo H&V on the boxset. The mix is just awful. No excuse, hold your hands up Linett, terrible. Once the backing vocals kick in on the verses, you may as well call it an acapella!!
I added the instrumental track on the Stereo H&V, now it's perfectly balanced.
adam78
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 08:57:04 AM »

I added the instrumental track on the Stereo H&V, now it's perfectly balanced.

Cool! Did you do it on everything or just the verses? I'm thinking I may have to do that now rather than just sit here dismissing the released version! Nice one.
Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 09:26:38 AM »

Edit: Actually one of the things Brian was truly best at, was knowing how to bury something in a mix knowing that it still adds to the whole sound of a record. It's always dangerous when people try to mix to get certain things, or even everything heard. I think this stereo mix in question was done to highlight the many brilliant vocal parts in stereo. Unfortunately, it's at the expense of the feel of the entire song. Look at how many things are buried into Brian Wilson mixes that sound genius on their own, yet are hard to pick out individually.  He knew the feel of a complete song and how to get it.
This is a really great observation.  The only other one of Brian's peers who matched him in the regard was Zappa, IMO.

I'm looking forward to checking this out as soon as those corrections are added.  Does this still include some of those crossfades, like between Workshop/V-T?  I was really hoping to eliminate those so that I could reposition a few tracks.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 09:59:13 AM »

MP3 preety, preety please?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 10:29:19 AM »

Another mp3 request please Smiley
David Kennedy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 03:21:05 PM »

MP3 Please!
grooveblaster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 03:41:16 PM »

was anyone able to download this yet? i've failed everytime i've tired. mediafire site is extremely slow
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 03:51:14 PM »

was anyone able to download this yet? i've failed everytime i've tired. mediafire site is extremely slow
I downloaded it this afternoon with no problems at all. The dl speed wasn't bad either. Very nice, by the way. Thanks Barnshine!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 06:03:09 PM »

em pee three please and thank you!

Cook pork throughly
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 08:25:25 PM »

Why are you guys requesting Mp3 files? Flac files play fine on your computer, otherwise just convert the Flacs to Mp3's with 'FreeStudio' or other programs. Piece o' cake!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 10:33:18 PM »

Why are you guys requesting Mp3 files? Flac files play fine on your computer, otherwise just convert the Flacs to Mp3's with 'FreeStudio' or other programs. Piece o' cake!

I know, but then I have to retype the track names.  Grin

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 10:40:44 PM »

I know, but then I have to retype the track names.  Grin

Naw. dBpoweramp or something. A God-like application imo.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 10:04:11 PM »

I know, but then I have to retype the track names.  Grin

Do you take a polaroid of your computer screen every time you want to print something?
Barnshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 02:46:33 AM »

3 fixed tracks (flac):
Heroes and Villains - improved stereo mix http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?kuardevwjr4flpx
Surf's Up - shortened silence before the track starts http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jllddgtpvt39evg
Good Vibrations - fixed the dropout http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?0ukv08bfzo6w6a3

Mp3 version (including the fixed tracks): http://www.mediafire.com/?nteo6eopdleu71t

Enjoy!
Barnshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 02:48:29 AM »

double post, please delete
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 01:03:07 PM »

Thank you so much for sharing Barnshine.  Now I have this to go with the box. Cheesy  I love that stereo Surf's Up (but you can't play the vinyl in the car!).
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 03:51:13 PM »

Anybody notice that extra little slot in the right panel of the disk folder in the Box? I supposed it's meant for the singles...though they didn't put them in...but it sure goes well for a disk of the vinyl rips, and now this!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx