gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:11:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Single tracked Vocals vs. double tracked vocals  (Read 1329 times)
TheBeachBoysFan
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi little girl, it's me, don't you know who I am?

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2011, 08:35:31 PM »

Is there any song that you prefer the single track vocal mixes on Unsurpassed Masters set?  Ie, all the Vocal 1A mixes where they haven't double  yet?
For some reason I prefer "You STill Believe in me" with Brian on one track.  That's how I started listening to it (stereo version, the additional vocal track was lost for the stereo version), VS mono version where he's doubled.
I also prefer In the Back of My Mind one track vocal for Dennis.  Am I crazy?  Smiley

You're gonna lose the fight....
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 09:29:34 PM »

Is there any song that you prefer the single track vocal mixes on Unsurpassed Masters set?  Ie, all the Vocal 1A mixes where they haven't double  yet?
For some reason I prefer "You STill Believe in me" with Brian on one track.  That's how I started listening to it (stereo version, the additional vocal track was lost for the stereo version), VS mono version where he's doubled.
I also prefer In the Back of My Mind one track vocal for Dennis.  Am I crazy?  Smiley
I agree about "You Still Believe in Me." I think that Brian double tracked the vocal because it was a bit scraggly in parts, but I much prefer the single-tracked vocal.

The slightly-off sound of the double tracked vocal was apparent to me the first time I listened to Pet Sounds. I consider this change for the stereo mix to be an improvement.

- B00ts
TheBeachBoysFan
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi little girl, it's me, don't you know who I am?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 02:16:43 AM »

Yeah...the first time I heard it on Pet Sounds...I was like..."my..this is off..."

You're gonna lose the fight....
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 06:39:48 AM »

Definitely prefer "You Still Believe In Me" single-tracked. Not sure about "In The Back Of My Mind" - I had thought it'd be better single tracked, but I'm listening now and am not sure. The double-tracked final feels fairly muddled - doesn't sound bad, necessarily, but I do wonder if a single-tracked vocal would've suited it better.

Also, like I just said elsewhere, I think Brian nowadays sound great single-tracked, well compressed, and up front and fairly dry. Suits his newer voice much better than when it's caked in reverb and doubled in an attempt to replicate what he did in the 60s, which worked great then but not so much now.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 06:41:54 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx