gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:35:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Henry Rollins: The Beach Boys' SMiLE: Even Better than Advertised  (Read 3326 times)
tony p
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2011, 02:29:50 PM »

Henry Rollins has always said that he is a big BB fan. Thought you all would like to read what he has to say about SMiLE in the LA Weekly:

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2011/12/henry_rollins_the_column_the_b.php

At this moment, I am sitting in front of my stereo as the Beach Boys' SMiLE album wraps up with "Good Vibrations." Sonically, the album is one of the best things you are likely to hear in all of your life. There are moments on SMiLE that are so astonishingly good you might find yourself just staring at your speakers in unguarded wonder, as I have.

SMiLE is perhaps the Beach Boys' most legendary album. It was recorded in 1966 and 1967 but only saw a formal release in 2011. That's a long time to wait for what was said to be Brian Wilson's masterpiece.

The reasons the band did not release SMiLE in 1967 are probably myriad and perhaps not made any clearer with the passing of more than four decades. Being one of those people who have heard hours of outtakes of the songs, I have my theories as to why the album didn't come out, one of which I will come back to shortly.

Several of the songs on SMiLE have been released over the years: "Heroes and Villains," "Surf's Up" and, of course, "Good Vibrations." The entire album -- the concept, as it were -- was left for the bootleggers to assemble.

And did they ever. The Beach Boys are one seriously bootlegged band, almost on the level of the Beatles and Dylan. As proof, I direct you to the site surfermoon.com/boots.shtml, which has a fairly exhaustive list. One label in particular, Sea of Tunes, seemed to have total access to the Beach Boys tapes. Several years ago Beach Boys box sets on Sea of Tunes were dropping every few hours, it seemed.
Some of them clearly were assembled by the insanely obsessive. There is a multidisc set that covers the song "Good Vibrations" only! I had a feeling that the person or persons liberating the source tapes must have been working feverishly on the down-low, and that these sets were not going to be around for long. I reckoned I needed to get all of them. For this reason I traveled to record stores and underground outlets all over New York City, Singapore, Japan and Germany. As to the limited availability of the sets, I was right. Soon, the Sea of Tunes boxes were gone. Months later, I saw color-copy-covered CDR versions in some of my normal haunts, but those beautiful box sets were no more.

SMiLE was supposed to be the follow-up to the band's ridiculously good Pet Sounds album, released in 1966. Perhaps their biggest competition for youthful genius dominating the world at that time would have been the Beatles, who were in their Revolver-Sgt. Pepper's-Magical Mystery Tour phase, and to a minor degree the Rolling Stones, who were still in their pre-Their Satanic Majesties Request era.

Both the Beach Boys and the Beatles were aware of the other, and both were incredibly driven. The major difference was hands on deck; the Beatles had two Godzilla songwriters in Lennon and McCartney and a great one in Harrison. The Beach Boys had Brian Wilson. Though he collaborated with the extremely talented Van Dyke Parks, and other band members made contributions, Wilson carried the weight. Therein lies a biography that is at times fascinating and sad, and often imbued with a lot of pain.

Brian Wilson, a true, not-up-for-debate musical genius, was under immense pressure from Capitol, his bandmates and his own extremely high standards. The weight took its toll on Brian, whose adolescence is the stuff of nightmares, thanks to a violent father, who made Brian the target of his rage. He was the band's manager until 1964, when, at around age 22, Brian fired him.

And now my theory as to what happened to SMiLE. When you listen to these songs, at once you hear the breathtaking harmonies of the band, arrangements on the complexity level of a classical master composer, and lyrics that are heartfelt and sometimes whimsical but all completely unguarded. SMiLE, to me, is the work of a man trying desperately to hold on to himself as he struggles to navigate his great and fragile talent through a psychotic breakdown and corporate expectations. These songs are those of a man on a small boat, thousands of miles from any shoreline, sure of his navigational abilities but surrounded by the vast and turbulent ocean of his talent.
I think that at some point, he had so many parts that ultimately he didn't know what he had anymore and hit the ejector button. (Listen to "Good Vibrations" on headphones and trip on how many different sessions are seamlessly glued together.)
What we don't know and perhaps never will is if we are hearing the full version of the album exactly as Brian Wilson has envisioned it. Be that as it may, to hear all these songs in final mix, in sequence -- WOW. I have seen Brian Wilson play a couple of times. He still has it, in large quantities.

Even if you are not a Beach Boys fan, please, listen to SMiLE, all the way through, at least once. Totally worth the trip. What would have happened to the Beach Boys and the music world had SMiLE been released in 1967 or 1968 is one of those conceptual discussions that will have to wait until we are all stuck on the tour bus in the middle of one of those really long hauls. For now, a 40-plus-year-old labor of greatness has finally been brought to light. Prepare to SMiLE.

I gotta heart that just wont stop beating for you, I gotta love that just can’t stop feeling for you
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 02:44:40 PM »

Nicely put Henry!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 02:48:12 PM »

Henry Rollins is a good kid, although I never had any idea he was this into the Beach Boys. Very cool, I liked his ocean analogy.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Paulos
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 03:06:59 AM »

I wonder if Henry posts on here?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 03:42:47 AM »

I truly love this review. The metaphors are well-chosen. Rollins surely doesn't shy away from some uncomfortable truths either. I did not know (as many others here, I guess) that he is such a fan... you wouldn't deduce that from his own work. Thanks for putting it up here.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 04:10:47 AM »

A very heartfelt overview of SMiLE from Rollins...again, didn't know he was so into the BBs.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 04:57:28 AM »

There aren't many people who I admire more than Henry Rollins. I'm a great fan of his music, his writing, his spoken word shows and his acting, and I think he might be one of the smartest and most sensible people on this planet.
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 08:28:45 AM »

Henry Rollins is also obsessed with Public Enemy as well as the Beach Boys.

Glad to see there is at least two of us!
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 09:13:51 AM »

The irony here is that it was Black Flag's label that acquired Brother Studios from Tom Scott.  I well remember a young Henry Rollins wandering around what was now a huge shell of what it had once been...  My ex-wife had been asked to help turn it back into what it had once been, but with Scott having taken or sold off whatever was left, it wasn't much more than a soundproof room with a cheesy board.  Dennis & I would often hang out there, exploring for old treasures.  (I eventually removed the gold record that had been planted in plexiglass on the rear step!)  This was also the studio where Dennis recorded "Labor Day" right after Gage was born; (unfortunately, I don't think anything exists of it anymore...)
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 09:16:55 AM »

Henry Rollins is also obsessed with Public Enemy as well as the Beach Boys.
Glad to see there is at least two of us!

At least 3 of us. Devo too, BTW. Plus: Raymond Scott.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx