gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:11:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys jam with America  (Read 3633 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 24, 2006, 05:03:43 AM »

Friday, March 24, 2006
The Beach Boys jam with America

The Beach Boys' Bruce Johnston revealed that he and bandmate Mike Love took part in an all-star jam session last weekend. Johnston told the fan website Beach Boys Britain (b5.boards2go.com) that, "I went to a house warming party at (actor) John Stamos' and we had a brilliant unplugged music afternoon. The band consisted of all our great back-up guys along with Mike & me -- plus two guys from the Knack, two (of the) Cowsills, (and) Dewey (Bunnell) and Gerry (Beckley) from America. It was fun and sounded great -- lots of 'hits' were sung. A few of the guests were taking videos."

Also taking part in the jam session were three former members of the Beach Boys touring group, keyboardist Mike Meros, and guitarists Adrian Baker and Jeff Foskett. All three had performed for years with the group, and interestingly, all had been fired separately by Love. Foskett has been part of Brian Wilson's band since 1999.

Stamos, a die-hard Beach Boys fan, has been sitting in on drums with the band at various points over the past 15 years. In return, the group appeared numerous times on his ABC-TV sitcom, Full House.

In 1992, Stamos sang lead on the Beach Boys' remake of co-founder Dennis Wilson's song "Forever" on their Summer In Paradise album. In 2000 he served as executive producer on the mini-series The Beach Boys: An American Family.

The Beach Boys kick off their Spring tour on April 22nd in West Point, New York, at Eisenhower Hall.

http://www.therockradio.com/2006/03/beach-boys-jam-with-america.html

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 11:55:48 AM »

Friday, March 24, 2006
The Beach Boys jam with America

The Beach Boys' Bruce Johnston revealed that he and bandmate Mike Love took part in an all-star jam session last weekend. Johnston told the fan website Beach Boys Britain (b5.boards2go.com) that, "I went to a house warming party at (actor) John Stamos' and we had a brilliant unplugged music afternoon. The band consisted of all our great back-up guys along with Mike & me -- plus two guys from the Knack, two (of the) Cowsills, (and) Dewey (Bunnell) and Gerry (Beckley) from America.

I don't think Satan himself could assemble a worse line-up.  They probably made Summer in Paradise sound like the Sex Pistols by comparison.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 02:36:19 PM »

So, with Bruce, Mike, John Stamos, Mike Meros, Adrian Baker, Jeff Foskett, and (probably) John Cowsill, that's seven Beach Boys.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
AKA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 03:44:58 PM »

Jeff Foskett!? He hasn't defected to the dark side, has he? Say it isn't so.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 04:15:33 PM »

Uh, sorry, not  really interested in any of those people...well, maybe Bruce, but for the rest of the gang, nope-
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 04:27:15 PM »

So, with Bruce, Mike, John Stamos, Mike Meros, Adrian Baker, Jeff Foskett, and (probably) John Cowsill, that's seven Beach Boys.

Two Beach Boys and 5 members of the BB band.

PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 05:12:23 PM »

The Beach Boys and America were touring together in the late 80's...I actually brought each band on stage at Oak Mt Amphitheatre in Birmingham, AL. I remember America sounding great, the Beach Boys were a little late but put on a great show. I watched them from the side of the stage. That was the late 80's line-up No Brian, no Dennis, but everyone else, and a killer guitarist/vocalist who nailed Brian's high parts. I do not want to venture to guess his name, although I am sure some members of this board know who it is. Nice outdoor evening concert. I still use the ticket stub as a bookmark for "Heroes and Villians"

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 07:10:28 PM »

http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/5-87a.html

http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/6-1-88.html

One of these two?

Jardine Power!
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep it clean with Al Jardine.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 07:23:30 PM »

If Uncle Jesse was there, it must have been pure magic.  3D
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 07:39:04 PM »

...It was June 1st 88, to be sure. I was not there for the 87 performance. The set list is a bit deceiving, as it looks like the boys played 25-30 songs in the set, but they combined them into several medleys, and played 'verse chorus' to a lot of them that night. I was working for a radio station that sponsored  both bands that night. I was backstage talking small talk to the 2 touring members of America at the time, concerned that the BB's were more than 'fashionably late" ...They said something about their personal jet being late,when they did show, they had a party onstage. It was a great night. I was a bit disappointed that Brian was not with them (not knowing the behind the scenes stuff going on at the time) but I imagine it was a young J Foskett taking care of Brian's beautiful falsettos that night. After a couple of songs, they got the vocal mix right, and the rest of the concert was stunning....June 1, 88...that was the one, and I thank you for the info on that, Charles...PMcC

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 08:55:14 PM »

1988 -- that would have definitely been Foskett then.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx