gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681109 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 08:16:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wow...Mike, Al and Dave Reunion!  (Read 39864 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2011, 02:46:10 PM »

What strikes me about this photo is the contrast between David and Mike.  Mike is bald and can't go anywhere without a hat and a wild outfit. David is dressed with dignity and doesn't need a hat.

Just sayin.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 11, 2011, 04:34:02 PM »

What strikes me about this photo is the contrast between David and Mike.  Mike is bald and can't go anywhere without a hat and a wild outfit. David is dressed with dignity and doesn't need a hat.

Just sayin.

Ah Mike's hats loom large in his legend.  Outside of Hedda Hopper I don't know who has rocked more snazzy headgear in their professional life.  John Phillips maybe? 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
oldsurferdude
« Reply #102 on: December 11, 2011, 04:35:27 PM »

As far as how Brian Wilson looks by not appearing at these events?  I don't think it matters.  Brian Wilson is sixty-nine years old, a member of the rock and roll hall of fame, arguably the greatest talent of his generation.  Does it really matter whether or not he turns up at a given awards ceremony in 2011?  

I'm willing to bet the farm, the college fund, several major organs, my mortal soul* and my first-born that if, say, Brian, David & Alan had turned up, Mike would have been crucified for a no-show. Anyone who says any different is lying, because we all know that's exactly what would have happened. Brian was in the area less than two days previously. Get a suite, stay over. It looks bad, period.

[* - this is a lie, as we all know I don't have one  Grin]
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz(get over it-no one cares)zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 06:14:17 PM by oldsurferdude » Logged
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 11, 2011, 04:58:17 PM »

Brian probably gets invited to events like this once or twice a week. You guys are seriously overestimating the importance of this event in relation to both the general public and Brian's legacy. It seems like you're all burnt out a bit on the Smile set and need something new to discuss. I seriously doubt that Brian is considered to be in "poor form" to anyone outside the confines of this thread.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 11, 2011, 05:04:22 PM »

As far as how Brian Wilson looks by not appearing at these events?  I don't think it matters.  Brian Wilson is sixty-nine years old, a member of the rock and roll hall of fame, arguably the greatest talent of his generation.  Does it really matter whether or not he turns up at a given awards ceremony in 2011?  

I'm willing to bet the farm, the college fund, several major organs, my mortal soul* and my first-born that if, say, Brian, David & Alan had turned up, Mike would have been crucified for a no-show. Anyone who says any different is lying, because we all know that's exactly what would have happened. Brian was in the area less than two days previously. Get a suite, stay over. It looks bad, period.

[* - this is a lie, as we all know I don't have one  Grin]
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz(get over it-no ones cares)zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
4 or more pages of people that care!! I care

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 11, 2011, 05:23:39 PM »

Brian opted to stay home and watch this all night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOrc37wNUqU&list=FLqaEGrmuIWnZMMEivpsoy9g&feature=mh_lolz

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SBonilla
« Reply #106 on: December 11, 2011, 05:58:57 PM »

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz(get over it-no ones cares)zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Igualmente.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 11, 2011, 06:04:40 PM »

Because of people on this site, David Marks got to meet Buzz Aldrin. Unless they've met before. Pretty cool. Too bad Brian wasn't there. TOO BAD.

He did get to meet Buzz Aldrin, but that picture is actually of Chuck Yeager, an equally bad-ass american hero. 

First man with the balls to fly through the turbulence created by the sound barrier. 

true speak, that man is a bad ass. Reading The Right Stuff  completely defined a version of Americana for me, as an British dude, y'know?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
oldsurferdude
« Reply #108 on: December 11, 2011, 06:21:23 PM »

Well, good for you and the other 11 people here and in the world that do, but quite honestly, I think Brother Bri will be ok in spite of the extreme concern for his future. Roll Eyes
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 11, 2011, 07:25:05 PM »

The grammys talks breaking down now this no show..

Things must not be good with the guys  Undecided

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2011, 08:15:38 PM »

Brian probably gets invited to events like this once or twice a week. You guys are seriously overestimating the importance of this event in relation to both the general public and Brian's legacy. It seems like you're all burnt out a bit on the Smile set and need something new to discuss. I seriously doubt that Brian is considered to be in "poor form" to anyone outside the confines of this thread.

I'm from California, and I care.  This is not just another awards ceremony.  It's a bigger deal than the Hathorne monument and he showed up for that, at least.  Why did those other people besides the Beach Boys show up for it?  I'm sure the people who offered the honor considered it poor form, too.  To quote Murry, "What's a matter, buddy, make too much money?  I'm a genius, too."  Brian would not have gotten anywhere without the Beach Boys. 
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2011, 08:19:21 PM »

I'm from California, and I care.  This is not just another awards ceremony.  It's a bigger deal than the Hathorne monument and he showed up for that, at least.  Why did those other people besides the Beach Boys show up for it?  I'm sure the people who offered the honor considered it poor form, too.  To quote Murry, "What's a matter, buddy, make too much money?  I'm a genius, too."  Brian would not have gotten anywhere without the Beach Boys
Lol

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2011, 08:33:36 PM »

Brianistas sometimes annoy me.  I say that as a former Brianista.  You really think Brian would have been a worldwide success without the Beach Boys?  I don't think so.  I think John Lennon or Paul McCartney may have had a chance of being big stars without the Beatles having happened (but not sure things by any means), but  I don't think Brian could have done it on his own for a variety of reasons. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2011, 08:41:09 PM »

Brianistas sometimes annoy me.  I say that as a former Brianista.  You really think Brian would have been a worldwide success without the Beach Boys?  I don't think so.  I think John Lennon or Paul McCartney may have had a chance of being big stars without the Beatles having happened (but not sure things by any means), but  I don't think Brian could have done it on his own for a variety of reasons. 
You are most likely correct in your assessment. Brian needed that group dynamic to achieve success. Plus, his outside productions came nowhere near the success he had with The Beach Boys. Brian needed the Beach Boys and the Beach Boys needed him.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2011, 09:05:47 PM »

Well, good for you and the other 11 people here and in the world that do, but quite honestly, I think Brother Bri will be ok in spite of the extreme concern for his future.

Precisely.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2011, 09:24:18 PM »

I'm willing to bet the farm, the college fund, several major organs, my mortal soul* and my first-born that if, say, Brian, David & Alan had turned up, Myk would have been crucified for a no-show. Anyone who says any different is lying, because we all know that's exactly what would have happened. Brian was in the area less than two days previously. Get a suite, stay over. It looks bad, period.

[* - this is a lie, as we all know I don't have one  Grin]
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz(get over it-no one cares)zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
I agree, oldsurferdude. Does this guy have some sort of unhealthy fixation with Mike Love or something?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 09:26:38 PM by b00ts » Logged

- B00ts
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 11, 2011, 09:30:26 PM »

You guys seen this!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrSQ5tZMWhU

Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 11, 2011, 10:20:08 PM »

Yeah, I seen it!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 11, 2011, 10:41:34 PM »

Oh, come on, that interview is old.  Posted recently, but old. It has nothing at all to do with the topic of thsi thread.

Brian can either put his big boy panties on and claim his part of the Beach Boys legacy or not.  Mike won the other day by showing up in Sacto. with both Al Jardine and David Marks by his side.  While the guy who molded the California sound was nowhere to be seen.  You know if they inducted Brian by himself, he would have been there.  Brian was there for the Hawthorne dedication and the Capitol rooftop reunion some years ago.  Why he and his "people" are being so churlish and hypocritical now in regards to both the California Hall of Fame and the Grammy reunion is a mystery and just looks kinda bad.  People can put down Mike all they want, but Brian has his own flaws.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 11, 2011, 10:53:09 PM »

Brian can either put his big boy panties on and claim his part of the Beach Boys legacy or not.

I don't think he has anything to claim. The legacy belongs to him.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2011, 12:03:12 AM »

I guess Carlos Santana and those astronauts should have stayed home, too, since the California Hall of Fame is apparently such a piddling award.  I also don't think large segments of the general public are aware the Beach Boys legacy belongs to Brian Wilson.  They just know the Beach Boys name.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2011, 12:55:12 AM »

The legacy belongs to The Beach Boys too. Including Carl, and Dennis who I dare anyone to accuse of not deserving it. Say what you will about Mike.

These guys, formed the band with Brian, went to bat for the band, showed up for the damn gigs, sang like angels, played their instruments, wrote songs for the band/lyrics, sang wonderful leads with each member's personality and voice being distinct with the public. How in hell does this belong to Brian and Brian only! How come you never hear anyone yelling and screaming that The Rolling Stones are JUST Mick and Keith. How come Charlie, Bill, Mick Taylor, Ron Wood all get back slapped with great acclaim, yet Dennis, Carl, Dave, Bruce, Mike, Al are accused of being coattail riders to the guy who's barely shown his face onstage for the band's entire damn career? It sickens me! Some people just can't deal when the word genius is tossed around! YES YES YES Brian IS A  F*ck#ng GENIUS! Get over it! Move on! Brian was a freaking genius IN A BAND!!!!! A band that could survive and thrive with or without him, not to mention!!!! Sure is an easy thing for a bunch of no-talents to manage, right?

Ok, where's my bottle of scotch?
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2011, 01:51:43 AM »

Beatles fans sometimes annoy me. I say that as not a former Beatles fan. You really think that two people who needed major help sequencing, arranging, producing and mixing their records would have been a worldwide success without George Martin? I don't think so.
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: December 12, 2011, 03:58:34 AM »

Brianistas sometimes annoy me.  I say that as a former Brianista.  You really think Brian would have been a worldwide success without the Beach Boys?  I don't think so.  I think John Lennon or Paul McCartney may have had a chance of being big stars without the Beatles having happened (but not sure things by any means), but  I don't think Brian could have done it on his own for a variety of reasons.  

Beatles fans sometimes annoy me. I say that as not a former Beatles fan. You really think that two people who needed major help sequencing, arranging, producing and mixing their records would have been a worldwide success without George Martin? I don't think so.

Yeah, that George Martin has a lot to answer for - creating Beatlemania and making a legacy that's lasted 50 years...  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 02:51:33 PM by Zander » Logged

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 12, 2011, 06:43:49 AM »

The legacy belongs to The Beach Boys too. Including Carl, and Dennis who I dare anyone to accuse of not deserving it. Say what you will about Mike.

These guys, formed the band with Brian, went to bat for the band, showed up for the damn gigs, sang like angels, played their instruments, wrote songs for the band/lyrics, sang wonderful leads with each member's personality and voice being distinct with the public. How in hell does this belong to Brian and Brian only! How come you never hear anyone yelling and screaming that The Rolling Stones are JUST Mick and Keith. How come Charlie, Bill, Mick Taylor, Ron Wood all get back slapped with great acclaim, yet Dennis, Carl, Dave, Bruce, Mike, Al are accused of being coattail riders to the guy who's barely shown his face onstage for the band's entire damn career? It sickens me! Some people just can't deal when the word genius is tossed around! YES YES YES Brian IS A  F*ck#ng GENIUS! Get over it! Move on! Brian was a freaking genius IN A BAND!!!!! A band that could survive and thrive with or without him, not to mention!!!! Sure is an easy thing for a bunch of no-talents to manage, right?

Ok, where's my bottle of scotch?

Well to put it quite simply, to Joe Public (and their opinion in the long run is the only one that truly matters) The Beach Boys never reached the heights of success they did once Brian Wilson abandoned the head of the ship so to speak.  The band had it's greatest run of success when Brian Wilson was at the helm and varying degrees of success when he wasn't.  Therefore Brian Wilson is associated with the wide success of the band more than the other members of the group.  Is it fair?  Probably not but that is the way the cards have fallen.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx