gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 06:21:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wow...Mike, Al and Dave Reunion!  (Read 39670 times)
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 12, 2011, 06:16:16 PM »

I seem to remember Mike + Bruce didnt show up in Hawthorne for the ceremony..!!!!!!!!!!...Also a number of years ago there was a route 66 award presented to BB and Mike + Bruce were the only ones to show up for award in San Bernadino Ca..At this late date in their careers i dont think its required for all of them to show up unless its on TV..IMHO..
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 12, 2011, 06:33:47 PM »

Yup, and THEN..... none of them show up, lol. 
SMiLE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 12, 2011, 07:49:29 PM »

Without Brian they are not the Beach Boys.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 12, 2011, 07:54:56 PM »

Without Brian they are not the Beach Boys.

If they could get up onstage all over the world to ecstatic crowds and kick ass for most of the past 50 years as the Beach Boys minus Brian, they are indeed....... The Beach Boys!
SMiLE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 12, 2011, 08:49:50 PM »

"Brian Wilson is the Beach Boys, We are his messengers"-Dennis Wilson.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 12, 2011, 10:39:56 PM »

Brian thinks they're the Beach Boys.  He doesn't seem to have a problem cashing the checks "The Beach Boys" mail him after they go out and tour all the retirement homes.  You can't lump ownership on Brian when he himself shirks it. 
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: December 13, 2011, 12:10:24 AM »

David never seems to complain about how he got screwed by Murry.  He seemingly, suffered in silence. 

Unlike Mike who always seemed to be whining how he wrote this and that and didn't get a writing credit.  I imagine, back in the day, David came up with an original lick or two but would never make a claim against Brian over songwriting credits.

There are certain ways of handling things in life and David always seems to take the high road.

Well when you write lyrics for major hits like "California Girls" and not get any songwriting credit, I imagine you'd be a little sour about it too. 

Sure, Murry screwed Mike too.  But ALL those interviews by Mike.  But he also made claims for songs he had little to do with - ie: Pet Sounds album.  Taking the high road is not suing for a song credit you suggest two words for.

My point is, unlike Mike and Pete Best, David didn't take to the press to wage a campaign of whining.  And Lord knows David did a million times more than Pete Best.
And as Jon points out, David could have sued Brian for some credits and didn't.

But yes, certainly Mike deserves his "California Girls" credit.  But the guy was suing over everything.  Even Brian recording Smile.

Pete Best sued Brian?Huh   Shocked

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Keri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 13, 2011, 12:36:48 AM »

Record making is a collaboration whether Brianistas like it or not. And the Beach Boys certainly were a collaborative entity. YES, Brian was the main guy, but he was not the only guy.

Brian, wrote most of the songs arranged and produced them, he used session musicians for a lot of the tracks and singers (the Beach Boys) even then some of the best singing was Brian's. The Beach Boys grew as performers by what Brian pushed them to do. Whether Beach Boyistas like it or not Brian was as much or more a solo act than many solo acts. How many solo acts write, sing, arrange and produce? I agree music is nearly always collaborative. Did Henry Mancini play all the instruments on his albums? Did Burt Bacharach sing all of his songs? What would Beethoven have done without musicians? Of course the Beach Boys were needed and anyone with ears can tell that they could sing well and when Brian stepped back they made some pretty good music with and without Brian, they also went on to make some that I find really lacking in character, colour and originality.

"There is a war between the rich and poor,
a war between the man and the woman.
There is a war between the left and right,
a war between the black and white,
a war between the odd and the even.

Why don't you come on back to the war, pick up your tiny burden,
why don't you come on back to the war, let's all get even,
why don't you come on back to the war, can't you hear me speaking"

Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 13, 2011, 01:17:24 AM »

I think that the key here is that there is no 2011 beach boys reunion without Brian. Al Jardine rejoining the beach boys probably wouldn't cut it for the Grammy organisers or for the press
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 13, 2011, 02:20:53 AM »

David never seems to complain about how he got screwed by Murry.  He seemingly, suffered in silence. 

Unlike Mike who always seemed to be whining how he wrote this and that and didn't get a writing credit.  I imagine, back in the day, David came up with an original lick or two but would never make a claim against Brian over songwriting credits.

There are certain ways of handling things in life and David always seems to take the high road.

Well when you write lyrics for major hits like "California Girls" and not get any songwriting credit, I imagine you'd be a little sour about it too. 

Sure, Murry screwed Mike too.  But ALL those interviews by Mike.  But he also made claims for songs he had little to do with - ie: Pet Sounds album.  Taking the high road is not suing for a song credit you suggest two words for.

My point is, unlike Mike and Pete Best, David didn't take to the press to wage a campaign of whining.  And Lord knows David did a million times more than Pete Best.

But yes, certainly Mike deserves his "California Girls" credit.  But the guy was suing over everything.  Even Brian recording Smile.

No, but he's been calling press conferences lately complaining about your lack of wit on this board  Razz

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 13, 2011, 10:52:54 AM »

No, but he's been calling press conferences lately complaining about your lack of wit on this board  Razz
I'm confused does this mean David Sued the Beatles? if so did Mike Love sue himself? and if so did he win? why did Pete Best sue Brian? was it because the beach boys released an album called "the best of the beach boys?" it's so confusing..Did a lady named Sue  sue Johnny cash for singing "A boy named sue"? I just don't understand..
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 13, 2011, 11:11:15 AM »

Huh

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rogerlancelot
« Reply #187 on: December 13, 2011, 11:12:37 AM »

Anybody want to guess a possible set-list? For instance, do you believe there might be some SMiLE material to help promote the recent box set?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 13, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »

Might be hard to not include Kokomo in any FULL concert set list… has Brian ever sung that with the BBs band?

“We live in divisive times.”
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #189 on: December 13, 2011, 11:36:09 AM »

Might be hard to not include Kokomo in any FULL concert set list… has Brian ever sung that with the BBs band?

Yes he has, but I can't remember when or where.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 13, 2011, 11:43:58 AM »

I don't take Dennis Wilson's quote as gospel.  Dennis was being too humble in terms of his own contribution, as an inspiration if nothing else.  Brian would have not made the magic of the Beach Boys without his brothers, cousin, and friends.  I thnk he'd say that himself.  It was being in the right place at the right time with the right people.

For all the dislike people have of "Kokomo," I recall Brian was very upset at the time that he wasn't able or allowed to sing on the original record.  He liked the song.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 11:45:37 AM by mcg1119 » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 13, 2011, 11:59:37 AM »

Record making is a collaboration whether Brianistas like it or not. And the Beach Boys certainly were a collaborative entity. YES, Brian was the main guy, but he was not the only guy.

Brian, wrote most of the songs arranged and produced them, he used session musicians for a lot of the tracks and singers (the Beach Boys) even then some of the best singing was Brian's. The Beach Boys grew as performers by what Brian pushed them to do. Whether Beach Boyistas like it or not Brian was as much or more a solo act than many solo acts. How many solo acts write, sing, arrange and produce? I agree music is nearly always collaborative. Did Henry Mancini play all the instruments on his albums? Did Burt Bacharach sing all of his songs? What would Beethoven have done without musicians? Of course the Beach Boys were needed and anyone with ears can tell that they could sing well and when Brian stepped back they made some pretty good music with and without Brian, they also went on to make some that I find really lacking in character, colour and originality.

"There is a war between the rich and poor,
a war between the man and the woman.
There is a war between the left and right,
a war between the black and white,
a war between the odd and the even.

Why don't you come on back to the war, pick up your tiny burden,
why don't you come on back to the war, let's all get even,
why don't you come on back to the war, can't you hear me speaking"

Yawn!

Brianista's simply are insatiable in their praise for the man. Deserved praise, of course, but it gets silly. All the praise and love in the world can get heaped on the guy but they still feel the need to sit back and remind everyone nonstop for eternity that it was all Brian, blah blah, it is so tiresome. Look, in rock and roll, who wrote what is NOT the only reason we like who/what we like. The Beatles have as much to do with the SOUND of those guys playing together, the creative little things Ringo did on the drums etc, just as much as Lennon/McCartney wrote everything! Yes, Brian wrote so much good stuff, arranged it, (I don't agree all the best singing was Brian) BUT I dare venture that most of why we love The Beach Boys has to do with the sound of their individual and joined voices, as much as their personalities, the drama, and what the songs are about: yes, the lyrics matter, and Mike wrote a lot of them, as did Brian and others. I also don't allow chart success to dictate what songs/era/band members are of importance. My favorite damn album is Holland, so label me a Boyista: go for it. I'm all the better for it. Brian is great and is a musical genius and is enshrined forever as such in the books. This sore winner thing is pathetic. Let's leave such merda for the scholars and music professors in stuffy classrooms.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 12:01:42 PM by Erik H » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 13, 2011, 12:04:20 PM »

Yes he has, but I can't remember when or where.

It sounds like he's singing it on the Hallmark live cd that came out a few years ago.  Either Brian's singing, or somebody with a shrill, out of key voice is singing in the harmony the entire time. 

OOOOHHH I WANNA TAKE YA!!!!!!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 13, 2011, 12:06:33 PM »

David never seems to complain about how he got screwed by Murry.  He seemingly, suffered in silence.  

Unlike Mike who always seemed to be whining how he wrote this and that and didn't get a writing credit.  I imagine, back in the day, David came up with an original lick or two but would never make a claim against Brian over songwriting credits.

Sure, Murry screwed Mike too.  But ALL those interviews by Mike.  But he also made claims for songs he had little to do with - ie: Pet Sounds album.  Taking the high road is not suing for a song credit you suggest two words for.

My point is, unlike Mike and Pete Best, David didn't take to the press to wage a campaign of whining.  And Lord knows David did a million times more than Pete Best.

But yes, certainly Mike deserves his "California Girls" credit.  But the guy was suing over everything.  Even Brian recording Smile.

Pete Best sued Brian?Huh   Shocked
No, but he's been calling press conferences lately complaining about your lack of wit on this board  Razz
I'm confused does this mean David Sued the Beatles? if so did Mike Love sue himself? and if so did he win? why did Pete Best sue Brian? was it because the beach boys released an album called "the best of the beach boys?" it's so confusing..Did a lady named Sue  sue Johnny cash for singing "A boy named sue"? I just don't understand..

It's amazing the degree of reading comprehension problems some exhibit on this board.  Let me help - Go back to Jon's post on songs David could have claimed a writer's credit on and start over.  Read s-l-o-w-l-y.

If you' and Awesoman are still confused, email me and I'll spell it out for you in great detail.  Apparently this simple analogy contrasting famous rock 'whiners' and those who conduct themselves with dignity is too difficult  a concept for you two.

The real question is are you guys in some 'bald men who always wear hats club' and worship Mike Love as your leader?  Cool Guy

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 13, 2011, 12:16:35 PM »

David never seems to complain about how he got screwed by Murry.  He seemingly, suffered in silence.  

Unlike Mike who always seemed to be whining how he wrote this and that and didn't get a writing credit.  I imagine, back in the day, David came up with an original lick or two but would never make a claim against Brian over songwriting credits.

Sure, Murry screwed Mike too.  But ALL those interviews by Mike.  But he also made claims for songs he had little to do with - ie: Pet Sounds album.  Taking the high road is not suing for a song credit you suggest two words for.

My point is, unlike Mike and Pete Best, David didn't take to the press to wage a campaign of whining.  And Lord knows David did a million times more than Pete Best.

But yes, certainly Mike deserves his "California Girls" credit.  But the guy was suing over everything.  Even Brian recording Smile.

Pete Best sued Brian?Huh   Shocked
No, but he's been calling press conferences lately complaining about your lack of wit on this board  Razz
I'm confused does this mean David Sued the Beatles? if so did Mike Love sue himself? and if so did he win? why did Pete Best sue Brian? was it because the beach boys released an album called "the best of the beach boys?" it's so confusing..Did a lady named Sue  sue Johnny cash for singing "A boy named sue"? I just don't understand..

It's amazing the degree of reading comprehension problems some exhibit on this board.  Let me help - Go back to Jon's post on songs David could have claimed a writer's credit on and start over.  Read s-l-o-w-l-y.

If you' and Awesoman are still confused, email me and I'll spell it out for you in great detail.  Apparently this simple analogy contrasting famous rock 'whiners' and those who conduct themselves with dignity is too difficult  a concept for you two.

The real question is are you guys in some 'bald men who always wear hats club' and worship Mike Love as your leader?  Cool Guy
Yes..he is our leader from the mother ship..we have been sent to warn people of the  plan to take over the world by Donald Trumps hair ..BALD MEN UNITE!!!!
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 13, 2011, 12:31:27 PM »

It doesn't take a "Brianista" to come to the conclusion that y'all are making a mountain out of a molehill here. Mike and David, etc seem to be having a good time in those pics and are getting plenty of recognition regardless of whether Brian is there. I could turn around and start a thread complaining about the fact that a huge box set has been released under the Beach Boys name, yet the "band" touring with that name is doing nothing to promote it in their concert appearances. Can anyone confirm that it has even been mentioned on stage since 11/1/11? Maybe before performing Good Vibrations? We could spend all day getting our feathers ruffled about this perceived slight or that perceived slight, but what's the point? They all seem to be OK doing what they're doing, and saving the excitement of a "reunion" for the right moment.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 12:32:22 PM by mammy blue » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 13, 2011, 12:41:00 PM »

That's a very good point, but then what are we all supposed to talk about here on SS?  Razz

But Mike, Al, Bruce are all over the promotional vids for Smile. That's at least something, BUT it would be pretty cool for them to maybe be playing something live at least.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 13, 2011, 12:56:47 PM »

Al doesn't tour enough to do Smile material and what songs on Smile do Mike & Bruce sing lead on? They do sing Good Vibrations. Wink This to any of our friends in the U.K. and the rest of Europe: Do Mike & Bruce play Heroes and Villains when they tour there?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 13, 2011, 01:09:46 PM »

Al doesn't tour enough to do Smile material and what songs on Smile do Mike & Bruce sing lead on? They do sing Good Vibrations. Wink This to any of our friends in the U.K. and the rest of Europe: Do Mike & Bruce play Heroes and Villains when they tour there?

They do. Or at least they did this year.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 13, 2011, 01:11:40 PM »

Hmmmmmm, they could at least do Mrs. O' Leary's Cow!  LOL
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx