gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681025 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 05:03:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wow...Mike, Al and Dave Reunion!  (Read 39810 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 12, 2011, 06:46:33 AM »

What strikes me about this photo is the contrast between David and Mike.  Mike is bald and can't go anywhere without a hat and a wild outfit. David is dressed with dignity and doesn't need a hat.

Just sayin.

Come on.  Mike's a frontman.  He comes from a long line of pompous guys who lead bands, and he's one of the best.  Also, like I fought for before, he's the longest serving front man alive.  Still kicking ass, STILL touring 50 years later, still wearing whatever he wants and making people want to hate him.  That.  Is Rock & Roll.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 12, 2011, 06:50:47 AM »

Recluse? Brian? Nah, that's a bit of an exaggeration.

And the YouTube video of Brian at the Smile signing. Are you talking about Long Beach? 'Cause no cameras were allowed at the S.F. signing, unless somebody pulled a cell phone out on the sly....

I'm speaking of the one that took place the day of the record's release.  I stand by my statement that Brian's a recluse.  He's not Greta Garbo by any means but to me he still falls into that general category.  Not that that is a bad thing mind you.

Brian has what, 4 kids at home?  15 dogs?  There's a picture floating around of him going to a WING SHOP about a year ago and a fan took pictures of him grinning in the parking lot with a bag of chicken.  He tours consistantly, has tons and tons and tons of friends in Hollywood.  He's not a recluse. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 12, 2011, 06:57:33 AM »

Because of people on this site, David Marks got to meet Buzz Aldrin. Unless they've met before. Pretty cool. Too bad Brian wasn't there. TOO BAD.

He did get to meet Buzz Aldrin, but that picture is actually of Chuck Yeager, an equally bad-ass american hero. 

First man with the balls to fly through the turbulence created by the sound barrier. 

true speak, that man is a bad ass. Reading The Right Stuff  completely defined a version of Americana for me, as an British dude, y'know?

I've never read the right stuff, but just so you know, when we were kids our teachers taught us about how bravely the british suffered and fought through World War II with the damn Natzis bombing london every day.  So not all heroes are American.  Chuck is though. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 12, 2011, 07:02:08 AM »

Brian probably gets invited to events like this once or twice a week. You guys are seriously overestimating the importance of this event in relation to both the general public and Brian's legacy. It seems like you're all burnt out a bit on the Smile set and need something new to discuss. I seriously doubt that Brian is considered to be in "poor form" to anyone outside the confines of this thread.

I'm from California, and I care.  This is not just another awards ceremony.  It's a bigger deal than the Hathorne monument and he showed up for that, at least.  Why did those other people besides the Beach Boys show up for it?  I'm sure the people who offered the honor considered it poor form, too.  To quote Murry, "What's a matter, buddy, make too much money?  I'm a genius, too." 

I agree.  This was not a half-assed event, I think it was disrespectful to the other honorees as well.  The Murry comment is unfortunately dead on, lol.

However, in the end none of us are perfect, and Brian's not an asshole for missing this, but it would have been better if he showed up.  If he's afraid of Mike then he should have showed up with a band member who could fight with Mike all night for him while Brian sat there smiling. 
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #129 on: December 12, 2011, 07:08:45 AM »

Brianistas sometimes annoy me.  I say that as a former Brianista.  You really think Brian would have been a worldwide success without the Beach Boys?  I don't think so.  I think John Lennon or Paul McCartney may have had a chance of being big stars without the Beatles having happened (but not sure things by any means), but  I don't think Brian could have done it on his own for a variety of reasons. 

Beatles fans sometimes annoy me. I say that as not a former Beatles fan. You really think that two people who needed major help sequencing, arranging, producing and mixing their records would have been a worldwide success without George Martin? I don't think so.

Yeah, that George Martin has a lot to answer for - creating Beatlemania made legacy that's lasted 50 years...  Roll Eyes

Pretty much, yes, him and Brian Epstein.

And equally there would have been no Beach Boys without Murry.

But I disagree that Lennon and McCartney would have had successful careers without The Beatles, and Brian would not have without the Beach Boys. We are talking about someone who heard in four-part harmony and was capable of seeing a song through from the piano to the mastering lathe. Out of all those mentioned, Brian would have undoubtedly had a career in music whatever had happened.

And Beatlemania had little to do with the song writing talent of  Lennon and McCartney, though that obviously guaranteed their longevity. IM educated O.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 12, 2011, 07:18:50 AM »

All three of them were part of 'bottled lightning'.  Careers like any of theirs can't be manufactured and all the talent in the world can't guarantee it either.  All three of them were certainly great at what they did, but they could have just as easily turned out to be a Townes Van Zandt or a Del Shannon or something and had a half-assed career and be half-ass forgotten by now.  No disrespect to Townes or Del. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 12, 2011, 07:19:05 AM »

Brian can either put his big boy panties on and claim his part of the Beach Boys legacy or not.

I don't think he has anything to claim. The legacy belongs to him.
That is woefully incorrect. All of Brian's musical triumphs and legacy are through The Beach Boys. 99% percent of what he will be remembered for are the songs he wrote for and sang with the group.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 12, 2011, 08:14:39 AM »

Six pages of arguing and no one has mentioned this:  Perhaps Brian was planning to attend this event, but he wasn't feeling well that day.  The guy's almost 70 years old.  I'm not near 70 (yet), and I call in sick to work once in awhile.  Just sayin'.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 12, 2011, 08:20:22 AM »

Six pages of arguing and no one has mentioned this:  Perhaps Brian was planning to attend this event, but he wasn't feeling well that day.  The guy's almost 70 years old.  I'm not near 70 (yet), and I call in sick to work once in awhile.  Just sayin'.
Well, maybe his people could have put out a statement instead of being mum on the subject.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 12, 2011, 08:34:29 AM »

Hear hear… there's a lot of assumptions being made, along the lines of the man couldn't give a toss. Needs to be remembered that Brian's not only pushing 70 but also has his own health problems; that nipping to Sacramento from LA isn't like nipping to Lutterworth for the weekend.  Or maybe he was busy mixing his next platter and believes work is more important than play.  Who knows? No-one here, it seems.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 12, 2011, 08:35:58 AM »

Well, maybe his people could have put out a statement instead of being mum on the subject.

Maybe they did. They probably didn't read out all the sick notes folk sent in.

“We live in divisive times.”
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 12, 2011, 09:00:59 AM »

Six pages of arguing and no one has mentioned this:  Perhaps Brian was planning to attend this event, but he wasn't feeling well that day.

Apparently that's what did happen to Bruce (strep throat), according to what he posted on the BBBritain mb.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 12, 2011, 09:02:22 AM »

Six pages of arguing and no one has mentioned this:  Perhaps Brian was planning to attend this event, but he wasn't feeling well that day.  The guy's almost 70 years old.  I'm not near 70 (yet), and I call in sick to work once in awhile.  Just sayin'.

Maybe they did. They probably didn't read out all the sick notes folk sent in.
If they did, someone in here would have known by now. Was anything posted about his no-show on his official site?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: December 12, 2011, 09:10:45 AM »

Six pages of arguing and no one has mentioned this:  Perhaps Brian was planning to attend this event, but he wasn't feeling well that day. 

Seriously doubt it.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 12, 2011, 09:16:46 AM »

The legacy belongs to The Beach Boys too. Including Carl, and Dennis who I dare anyone to accuse of not deserving it. Say what you will about Mike.

These guys, formed the band with Brian, went to bat for the band, showed up for the damn gigs, sang like angels, played their instruments, wrote songs for the band/lyrics, sang wonderful leads with each member's personality and voice being distinct with the public. How in hell does this belong to Brian and Brian only! How come you never hear anyone yelling and screaming that The Rolling Stones are JUST Mick and Keith. How come Charlie, Bill, Mick Taylor, Ron Wood all get back slapped with great acclaim, yet Dennis, Carl, Dave, Bruce, Mike, Al are accused of being coattail riders to the guy who's barely shown his face onstage for the band's entire damn career? It sickens me! Some people just can't deal when the word genius is tossed around! YES YES YES Brian IS A  F*ck#ng GENIUS! Get over it! Move on! Brian was a freaking genius IN A BAND!!!!! A band that could survive and thrive with or without him, not to mention!!!! Sure is an easy thing for a bunch of no-talents to manage, right?

Ok, where's my bottle of scotch?
Hold on a sec.  Wirestone rightfully responded to the absurd comment that Brian needs to go out and claim the Beach Boys' legacy.  He doesn't.  He has nothing to prove to anyone at this stage in his career, no matter how many fans might desperately want to see this reunion.  Anyone who knows anything about the band knows that Brian was the driving creative force, the author of most of their best music and the architect of their sound.  This is certainly not to diminish the considerable contributions of the other members.  Yes, Brian needed the band to help realize his vision.  Those songs required the lovely, complex group harmonies to really flourish.  He needed a confident front man like Mike to go out there and sell it to the audience.  And of course, as Brian's personal problems caught up to him, the rest of the band had to pick up the slack--first in terms of their live performances and eventually in terms of the songwriting/arrangements too.  Still, the Beach Boys would not exist without Brian's vision.  

"Brian Wilson is the Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his fucking messengers. He is all of it. Period." --Dennis Wilson

Maybe he just doesn't want to do the reunion, doesn't feel that all of the stress and anxiety is worth the reward.  Maybe he feels like he can express himself better as a solo artist than he can within the complicated interpersonal/business constraints of the Beach Boys.  This isn't to say that he's somehow crapping on the Beach Boys legacy, just that the old band format doesn't work for him anymore.  Why try to force the old guy out for a nostalgia tour when his heart's clearly not in it?  Wouldn't that potentially do more harm to the legacy than sitting it out?  Why do some fans seem to think that Brian owes them something more than we've already been given?  
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: December 12, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »

Maybe he just doesn't want to do the reunion, doesn't feel that all of the stress and anxiety is worth the reward.  ... Why try to force the old guy out for a nostalgia tour when his heart's clearly not in it?  

Pray, share with us this information you have that tells you Brian clearly wants no part of this reunion. I for one would dearly like to know of it, for several reasons.

BTW, stating in one sentence he "maybe" doesn't want to do something, then in a succeeding line saying he "clearly" doesn't want to is kinda... oh, can you say "contradictory" ? "Inconsistent" ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 12, 2011, 09:28:08 AM »

You guys are seriously overestimating the importance of this event in relation to both the general public and Brian's legacy. It seems like you're all burnt out a bit on the Smile set and need something new to discuss. I seriously doubt that Brian is considered to be in "poor form" to anyone outside the confines of this thread.

This is very true.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 12, 2011, 09:33:08 AM »

You guys are seriously overestimating the importance of this event in relation to both the general public and Brian's legacy. It seems like you're all burnt out a bit on the Smile set and need something new to discuss. I seriously doubt that Brian is considered to be in "poor form" to anyone outside the confines of this thread.

This is very true.
It's also very true that this is a Beach Boys Forum. and we're liable to talk about any Beach Boys news, not just Smile.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 12, 2011, 09:39:27 AM »

Maybe he just doesn't want to do the reunion, doesn't feel that all of the stress and anxiety is worth the reward.  ... Why try to force the old guy out for a nostalgia tour when his heart's clearly not in it?  

Pray, share with us this information you have that tells you Brian clearly wants no part of this reunion. I for one would dearly like to know of it, for several reasons.

BTW, stating in one sentence he "maybe" doesn't want to do something, then in a succeeding line saying he "clearly" doesn't want to is kinda... oh, can you say "contradictory" ? "Inconsistent" ?

From Rolling Stone in late September:

Not all the wounds have healed, though – in a recent interview, Wilson sounded ambivalent about a reunion. Asked if he's looking forward to the anniversary, he responds, "Not particularly," adding, "I don't really like working with the guys, but it all depends on how we feel and how much money's involved. Money's not the only reason I made rec­ords, but it does hold a place in our lives."

You're right, I shouldn't have said 'clearly', but to me, this doesn't sound like someone who's eager to go out and 'do it again'.  He's been extremely ambivalent on the topic all year.  I get the feeling that those around him want him to do it, but he's just not feeling it.  That's my impression.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 12, 2011, 09:40:55 AM »

It's also very true that this is a Beach Boys Forum. and we're liable to talk about any Beach Boys news, not just Smile.

This is very true.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 12, 2011, 09:41:25 AM »

it could have simply been a scheduling conflict for all we know.. I don't know what Brian did that day but maybe he had other priorities that he couldn't cancel..I know from the Monkees fiasco that happened a couple months ago that this type of thing happens from time to time..
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 12, 2011, 09:43:48 AM »

Man, I love when we speak the truth. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 12, 2011, 09:47:05 AM »

it could have simply been a scheduling conflict for all we know.. I don't know what Brian did that day but maybe he had other priorities that he couldn't cancel..I know from the Monkees fiasco that happened a couple months ago that this type of thing happens from time to time..
When stuff like that comes up, your people put out a press release. It stops all the guessing. Unless, we think they are lying. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 12, 2011, 09:49:45 AM »

If Brian really doesn't want to do a full reunion with a tour or a recording, it would still be nice for  him to acknowledge the anniversary with a few joint public appearances such as this one or at the Grammys.  It just would look better and even if they don't put out a new album, some publicity for the anniversary could help back catalog sales or repackaging.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 12, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »

If Brian really doesn't want to do a full reunion with a tour or a recording, it would still be nice for  him to acknowledge the anniversary with a few joint public appearances such as this one or at the Grammys.  It just would look better and even if they don't put out a new album, some publicity for the anniversary could help back catalog sales or repackaging.

Exactly - there is a simple approach to every possible scenario, here, regardless of what Brian or anyone else wants or doesn't want.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx