gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680822 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 02:38:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Christian Love sings lead on GOK, and it sounds amazing!  (Read 11266 times)
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 04:47:24 PM »

WOW!

GREAT voice!  Sign that boy up!  (oh, they already have)

Nice arrangement too.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
oldsurferdude
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2011, 05:29:37 PM »

This may sound "amazing" to some here and perhaps some may more dramatically "fall on their ass" Roll Eyes, but no one in this particular universe achieves anything labeled close to Carl's perfection at performing this song.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 05:32:15 PM by oldsurferdude » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2011, 05:35:14 PM »

This may sound "amazing" to some here and perhaps some may more dramatically "fall on their ass" Roll Eyes, but no one in this particular universe achieves anything labeled close to Carl's perfection at performing this song.

And? We're talking about Carl Wilson, here. Just because no one else can achieve the "perfection" he did, no one else should be able to sing it? Or no one else, least of all the son of one Michael Love (GOD HELP US ALL IMO), is capable of doing a really great job on it?

No.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2011, 05:52:05 PM »

And? We're talking about Carl Wilson, here. Just because no one else can achieve the "perfection" he did, no one else should be able to sing it? Or no one else, least of all the son of one Michael Love (GOD HELP US ALL IMO), is capable of doing a really great job on it?

No.
Complete revisionism of my post. Read it again RDZ-s l o w l e y-take all the time you may need. HINT: where in my post did I infer that no one else would be "able or capable"?
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2011, 06:03:59 PM »

Very good rendition ! Which other leads does Christian sing during the BB shows ? Can't remember as I last saw them in 2008.

Christian has been doing Getcha Back and Good Vibrations...there seems to be a family quality to his voice, and sounds like Carl a bit, but, sounds like himself.  I hope people allow him to be judged on his own merits rather than hold him up to be compared to Carl or Mike.   Few kids want to be compared to their parents, or family members, or feel compelled to fill someone else's shoes.  He is a very gifted young man who works very hard, with and under, some serious pros. 

And, he is nice.   Smiley

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2011, 06:22:39 PM »

I just don't like Mike's band..

Maybe it's because they call themselves the Beach Boys

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2011, 06:51:29 PM »

I am known to be a staunch defender of Brian's band, but even I must give credit where credit was due: Christian sang this excellently. Not taking anything away from Brian's superb renditions, of course. But a lovely version. Bravo!

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2011, 07:41:42 PM »

As much as I enjoy Lovester-bashing for the Endless Summer in Paradise in Kokomo Golden Surfin` Oldies direction that he`s taken both the actual BBs and with his current act, the show seems like its improved 10-fold since Totten took over as musical director. The younger Lovester is another big part IMO of why the M&B band sounds so good now compared to pre-2007ish.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2011, 08:26:02 PM »

Christian did a nice job, but he still doesn't sound that much like Carl to me (related to Carl, yes). Of course, it's a bit hard to hear him with that loud orchestra in the mix.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2011, 10:04:28 PM »

First time I saw him with the Mike and Bruce Band (on YouTube) I immediately thought that he sounded like Carl Wilson. I don't see how anybody could miss the simularities of the two voices. I don't mean to slag Christian, and again I've only seen him perform a few songs, but he doesn't have the EMOTION in his voice.

I respectfully disagree. To me he does have a lot of emotion in his voice. At least in this specific performance. I haven't heard any other leads from him. But I have listened to Carl renditions of this song with less emotion the voice. Nobody could ever beat the performance on the studio version of GOK of course, not even Carl himself.

What really is amazing: All these high praises in this thread made very high expectations, and usually having that high expectations results in a little disappointment. But even with these high expectations Christians performance is stunning!

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2011, 10:05:59 PM »

if there is a reunion album, i hope christian gets in on the blend.  he'd fit in well.  much better than most of brian's band (not a fan of their blend)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2011, 10:17:11 PM »

That would be because they fulfil the terms of the license that Mike, Brian, Alan & Carl's estate agreed upon back in 1998, no ?  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2011, 12:24:20 AM »

A Carl like voice has to be used for this song, not Bruce and not even Brian now.

Have you hear Brian sing it recently? He does a very nice job. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX7znc-bhDs)

That particular performance has been posted numerous times on this message board and I just don't see what the big deal with it is.  Just because Brian isn't actually "yelling" the vocal doesn't make it much better.  His voice actually sounds rather weak here. 

Christian Love, however, does a nice job handling the song.  As already mentioned, there is a little bit of "Carl" in him.  Not literally. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2011, 12:33:53 AM »

Thanks for posting the link, Eric.  I think Christian Love does an absolutely wonderful singing God Only Knows.  Hope he continues to perform it on a regular basis.

(PS, Eric, please check your PM's.)

UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2011, 02:59:14 AM »

Holy mackerel. Sign the boy up. What. A. Voice!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2011, 04:02:06 AM »

A Carl like voice has to be used for this song, not Bruce and not even Brian now.

Have you hear Brian sing it recently? He does a very nice job. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX7znc-bhDs)

That particular performance has been posted numerous times on this message board and I just don't see what the big deal with it is.  Just because Brian isn't actually "yelling" the vocal doesn't make it much better.  His voice actually sounds rather weak here. 

Christian Love, however, does a nice job handling the song.  As already mentioned, there is a little bit of "Carl" in him.  Not literally. 

Same here - OK, so he's not shout-singing it, but in truth, it's not a very good performance. Weak, suspect pitch and phrasing... about the only thing he does right is remember all the words and flash a smile.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gxios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2011, 05:06:18 AM »

That clip made me want to see the Mike band for the first time in 20 years.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2011, 06:19:58 AM »

That clip made me want to see the Mike band for the first time in 20 years.

Go!  They are fabulous!  People need to stop living in the past.  We were fortunate to have these awesome legends, both here and gone.  It is great that the younger family members have taken an interest in the music, whether it is Wendy and Carnie, Matt and Adam or Christian.  They are learning from the real masters. 

The newer band members take the music seriously and work on it to exacting standards.  I've seen all three bands, and find the quality very high, and audience response to be exuberant, because it is all about the music, our music, much of which was ahead of its' time, and timeless in appeal.  They've all grown in the job.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2011, 06:33:53 AM »

That would be because they fulfil the terms of the license that Mike, Brian, Alan & Carl's estate agreed upon back in 1998, no ?  Grin
License schmlicence-they ain't the Beach Boys. Put Brian, Al, and David up there with them, then and only then will you have the closest article available. Quit leaning on something that was concocted 14 years ago-that band is not the BBs and portraying themselves as the BBs is more than fraudulent -Myke Luhv and his band of strangers have f*cked with the band's legacy since Carl died(the official end of the band). Cocoamoe
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2011, 06:47:24 AM »

So.............this is Mike's kid, the same one who is on the Sunflower cover and inner sleeve, right? Brother of Haleigh?

First time I saw him with the Mike and Bruce Band (on YouTube) I immediately thought that he sounded like Carl Wilson. I don't see how anybody could miss the simularities of the two voices. I don't mean to slag Christian, and again I've only seen him perform a few songs, but he doesn't have the EMOTION in his voice. I don't really compare him to Carl - nobody in the Beach Boys can belt out a rocker or sing a ballad like Carl could (with exception to Brian in the 60's/early 70's).

Christian just sings too.........how should I say this.........DRAB! Not much emotion. It's not his fault - it's his style. It's just the way he sings. It's his personality. Seems like a nice enough guy; I've seen him talk during interviews - he's young. But he just sounds like he's dragging - like he's bored or just wants to get the show over with!

"I, I love the colorful clothes she wears........"   He sounds like he's about to go to sleep!   ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Why did you say it was amazing just a few posts above, then?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2011, 07:31:37 AM »

if there is a reunion album, i hope christian gets in on the blend.  he'd fit in well.  much better than most of brian's band (not a fan of their blend)

I respectfully agree. (As great as Brian's musicians are, actually they're brilliant, but their blend is not that appealing to me. They sing very good, but they seldom create that special magic.)

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2011, 08:24:49 AM »

Why did you say it was amazing just a few posts above, then?

I'm bi-polar.

No, Lenny, actually I was being sarcastic because Eric was using one of THE most over-used words these days; "Amazing". That word seems to have replaced "awesome" in a lot of people's vocabulary. Eric from Socal, I still love you, man! You have one of the best BB sites on the Internet!!!

Just my opinion. Christian did an above average job on "God Only Knows" in that clip. But listening to him sing "Good Vibrations" and "Getcha Back" - to me he just sounds like he's going through the motions without much emotion. I'm sure it's his personality. No problem. Again, just my opinion. Guess I'm in the minority, but that's OK.  Grin
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 09:01:14 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »

He looks like Cliff Richard. No one but one of the Beach Boys should ever sing this song! Be it Bruce , Mike , Al or Brian!
Let Christan Love sing "409" or "Surfin USA" , but dont touch GOK!

Cook pork throughly
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2011, 08:38:29 AM »

He looks like Cliff Richard. No one but one of the Beach Boys should ever sing this song! Be it Bruce , Mike , Al or Brian!
Let Christan Love sing "409" or "Surfin USA" , but dont touch GOK!

YES AGREED LET'S NEVER HEAR "GOD ONLY KNOWS" EVER AGAIN AND BURY IT IMO

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2011, 08:48:11 AM »

That particular performance has been posted numerous times on this message board and I just don't see what the big deal with it is.  Just because Brian isn't actually "yelling" the vocal doesn't make it much better.  His voice actually sounds rather weak here.  

Christian Love, however, does a nice job handling the song.  As already mentioned, there is a little bit of "Carl" in him.  Not literally.  

Same here - OK, so he's not shout-singing it, but in truth, it's not a very good performance. Weak, suspect pitch and phrasing... about the only thing he does right is remember all the words and flash a smile.

Hm. Methinks you overstate for effect. The "truth" you mention is your aesthetic reaction to a performance. Others differ.

EDIT:

And frankly, what bugs me most of all is this notion that there's some sort of zero-sum game afoot -- that for Mike's band to be decent, Brian's must be terrible, or vice versa. I don't think Brian or Mike think that. I don't think their band members think that either. Because you know what? Darian could surely sing a killer GOK. So could Foskett. The fact that a hired band member -- family or not -- can sing a nice version of a song that's part of the repertoire of the band that employs him isn't really that shocking. It is what they are hired to do.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 09:13:27 AM by Wirestone » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx