gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:57:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys vs Beatles in the same years  (Read 73695 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: May 22, 2013, 02:54:15 AM »

As I said before in another thread, if it is between Beach Boys and Beatles, it'll always be Beach Boys no matter what year. The Beatles are essential listening however.
You said the same in this thread as well. And yes, I agree that the Beatles are essential listen, I'll even go further saying they're the kings of the 60s music & decade overall. That's my objective idea, agree or not agree. On the other hand, The Beach Boys to me, with all their drawbacks & flaws, are 10.000 times better than Fab Four. There is magic in their music, even the worst. Which I can't say about the great, the legendary, their Highness The Beatles. In other words, The Beach Boys rule!

Btw, I read somewhere that there are only 3 great BB figures: B.B. King, The Beach Boys & Brigitte Bardot. Don't know about the latter, since I didn't watch a single movie with her, but with others I agree. The rest BB were trainwrecks, as I got from that article. So, seems like The BBs are in a good company.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #376 on: May 22, 2013, 03:05:24 AM »

I'm no hip hop fan, but the Beastie Boys can't really be describes as a train wreck. They did some highly influential albums, including one which is often referred to as the "Pet Sounds of Hip Hop"
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 22, 2013, 03:18:47 AM »

I'm no hip hop fan, but the Beastie Boys can't really be described as a train wreck. They did some highly influential albums, including one which is often referred to as the "Pet Sounds of Hip Hop"
Wow, really? I must check it then. Anyway, I think the author of the said article was a bit too rough when he used this "trainwreck" term. Every artist, be it JJ or KK etc., has sth. to offer, their moments of greatness, so to speak.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #378 on: May 22, 2013, 06:25:31 AM »

Yes, Berthold Brecht and Billy Bragg as well spring to mind also  LOL

Bobby Brown though........ stick him in the train wreck pile
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 22, 2013, 09:40:09 AM »

Bix Beiderbecke, man.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 22, 2013, 10:17:05 AM »

This seemingly endless contrast with The Beatles as well as Brian's "genius" label are the biggest albatrosses The Beach Boys have had to continually deal with throughout their career.

Absolutely agreed. I don't imagine that on Beatles message boards people are starting endless threads about "who was better, the Beatles or the Beach Boys?"

Well because its part of our culture to accept that the Beatles were the best band ever. Even on this board to question this marks you out as some sort of pariah. We can talk about the Beach Boys greatness as much as we want, but the Beatles must be in there as a measuring stick.

As soon as the last of the baby boomers have gone, we may be able to start piecing together a real unbiased history.

Any history that begins with "There was all the boring music our parent listened to, and then there was rock n'roll, which had absolutely no relation to swing or big band" is bullshit. And yet that's the bullshit we're fed.

Nearly as good as "Rock n roll died in 1959, and all American and British pop was sh*t and sterile and manufactured till the Beatles came along" Another of my favourites.

I've also had someone tell me that The Beatles made the first ever psychedelic record. Members of the Hoffman board will tell you they invented Heavy Metal with Helter Skelter. I'm sure we can trace the origin of Hip Hop to one of their songs if we look hard enough....  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 10:41:00 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 22, 2013, 10:18:48 AM »

Bix Beiderbecke, man.

Indeed. And Bobby Bland, Big Bill Broonzy, Blind Blake...
And in non-musical fields (since Brigitte Bardot counts) there's Brian Blessed...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 22, 2013, 10:30:47 AM »

I've also had someone tell me that The Beatles made the first ever psychedelic record. Members of the Hoffman board will tell you they invented Heavy Metal with Helther Skelter. I'm sure we can trace the origin of Hip Hop to one of their songs if we look hard enough....  Roll Eyes

Easily. Baby, You're a Rich Man has a kind of hip hop beat. And that fast gibberish in Everybody's got something to hide... That's Lennon inventing rapping right there. Oh, and Come Together!

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #383 on: May 22, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »

Surely The Surfaris did one of the first raps, Surfer Joe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD6LKzhQcDc
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 11:26:19 AM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #384 on: May 22, 2013, 11:24:34 AM »

Bix Beiderbecke, man.

Smacks head. I've just bought a double CD, how could I have forgotten Bix!
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 22, 2013, 12:07:43 PM »

This seemingly endless contrast with The Beatles as well as Brian's "genius" label are the biggest albatrosses The Beach Boys have had to continually deal with throughout their career.

Absolutely agreed. I don't imagine that on Beatles message boards people are starting endless threads about "who was better, the Beatles or the Beach Boys?"

Well because its part of our culture to accept that the Beatles were the best band ever. Even on this board to question this marks you out as some sort of pariah. We can talk about the Beach Boys greatness as much as we want, but the Beatles must be in there as a measuring stick.

As soon as the last of the baby boomers have gone, we may be able to start piecing together a real unbiased history.

Any history that begins with "There was all the boring music our parent listened to, and then there was rock n'roll, which had absolutely no relation to swing or big band" is bullshit. And yet that's the bullshit we're fed.

Nearly as good as "Rock n roll died in 1959, and all American and British pop was sh*t and sterile and manufactured till the Beatles came along" Another of my favourites.

I've also had someone tell me that The Beatles made the first ever psychedelic record. Members of the Hoffman board will tell you they invented Heavy Metal with Helter Skelter. I'm sure we can trace the origin of Hip Hop to one of their songs if we look hard enough....  Roll Eyes

Ummm.  I've seen people on this board claim that the Beach Boys invented everything from rap (Games People Play) to the concept album (Little Deuce Coupe).  More recently, I've seen people claim that the Stones are to old to be on the cover of Rolling Stone, but at the same time complain that the Beach Boys should have been on the cover.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 22, 2013, 12:26:09 PM »

Ummm.  I've seen people on this board claim that the Beach Boys invented everything from rap (Games People Play) to the concept album (Little Deuce Coupe).  More recently, I've seen people claim that the Stones are to old to be on the cover of Rolling Stone, but at the same time complain that the Beach Boys should have been on the cover.

Exactly. It seems as if it's only acceptable to do that if you are talking about any group BUT The Beatles since The Beatles are attributed with so much already.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 22, 2013, 11:41:38 PM »

Well I agree they are talking out of their backside but it doesn't make my Beatle fan examples any less stupid.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 23, 2013, 12:48:52 PM »

Every fan base has its share of people who exaggerate a group's importance and accomplishments.  Visit a board devoted to any well-known group, and you'll find some of them there.  Certainly we have plenty of them on this site.

But that doesn't justify dismissing a group's legitimately good or great work.  I just don't get the compulsion some have to drag down other bands just because some of their fans are silly.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 23, 2013, 06:51:52 PM »

I don't have a problem with the Rolling Stones being on the magazine cover. But I do think that the Beach Boys should have been on there for their 50th tour.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 06:53:03 PM by Magic Transistor Radio » Logged

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: May 29, 2013, 01:29:08 AM »

I've seen people on this board claim that the Beach Boys invented rap (Games People Play)
Really? I heard something different, i.e. it were The Beatles who first invented rap with Rocky Raccoon (imo one of the best songs by the group). To me, that sounds more credible, because Games 2 Can Play has very tiny amount of rap talk & obviously it isn't the most memorable bit of the song.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #391 on: May 29, 2013, 01:36:51 AM »

I think in Rocky Racoon, Paul is just emulating that sort of spoken introduction which was common in many US folk songs. It's that whole Woodie Guthrie sort of thing.                

It seems to me these people claiming "firsts", on behalf of any group, often have a very limited knowledge of musical history.

The earliest examples that I can think of of someone speaking in rhythm over music in what we'd call pop, are Monster Mash, and Surfer Joe. There are probably older examples. I'm sure I've  heard this sort of thing in jazz, and swing, and, as noted, american folk music. It probably predates all of this. Suffice to say, neither the Beach Boys or The Beatles invented rap.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 01:48:00 AM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 29, 2013, 02:08:37 AM »

The earliest examples that I can think of of someone speaking in rhythm over music in what we'd call pop, are Monster Mash and Surfer Joe.
Yep, forgot about Monster Mash. Very nifty & cool song, I would say. No wonder it got to #1 in Billboard Hot-100.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #393 on: January 25, 2014, 11:05:56 PM »

Early 63: Please, Please Me
Late 63: With The Beatles
Early 64: Shut Down Volume II
Mid 64: A Hard Day's Night
Late 64: The Beach Boys' Christmas Album
Mid 65: The Beach Boys Today and Summer Days (And Summer Nights!)
Late 64: Rubber Soul
Mid 66: Pet Sounds
Mid 67: The Smile Sessions
Late 67: Smiley Smile and Wild Honey
68: Friends
69: 20/20
70: Sunflower

I would have dropped the Christmas album and put the Party album in it's place, and moved Summer Days against Rubber Soul.
Also, I would have put Smiley Smile up against Yellow Submarine.

Problem is, this thread is about putting BB's and Beatles albums up from their same year, so...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 11:07:12 PM by Maybe I DON'T Know?! » Logged
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 26, 2014, 12:51:07 AM »

I don't really listen to the albums before 65.

Mid 65: The Beach Boys Today and Summer Days (And Summer Nights!)
Late 65: Rubber Soul
Mid 66: Pet Sounds
Mid 67: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Late 67: Smiley Smile and Wild Honey
68: The Beatles
69: Abbey Road

I overall think The Beatles made more consistently brilliantly music than The Beach Boys. I just love The Boys' aesthetic so much that it doesn't matter.

That's the way it goes with every band that isn't The Beatles, I guess.
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 26, 2014, 01:41:24 AM »

A thought provoking thread here, to be sure. But I think one very important element is missing in the discussion, and that is the Rolling Stones, who, along with the Beach Boys and Beatles dominated the 60's. All three bands deeply indebted to Chuck Berry, with the Beach Boys on one side drawing heavily from jazz, the Beatles in the middle drawing heavily from popular song, and the Stones, obviously, remaking the blues. Although the three bands emerged virtually simultaneously, the Beach Boys seem to have peaked first and have never been able to shake that fun-in-the-sun legacy, the Beatles absolutely owning the mid-60's, and the Stones justifiably billing themselves "the world's greatest rock n roll band," at the end.

Smiley Smile - The Magical Mystery Tour - Their Satanic Majesties Request - three very odd dogs, and all outclassed by any number of bands that year.
Blue2013
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: February 14, 2014, 12:14:28 AM »

Early 63: Please Please Me

late 63: With the Beatles

Early 64:Meet the Beatles

mid 64: All Summer Long

late 64: Beatles for Sale

mid 65: Today

late 65: Rubber Soul

mid 66: Pet Sounds

mid 67:  Sgt Pepper

late 67: Magical Mystery Tour

68:  White Album

69:  Abbey Road

kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #397 on: November 18, 2014, 10:24:15 PM »

Id say itd be: shut down vol 2 and meet the beatles, all summer long and hard days night, today and help, summer days and rubber soul, pet sounds and revolver, smiley smile and sgt pepper, wild honey and magical mystery, friends and white and 20/20 and abbey rd.....maybe sunflower and let it be but let it be was posthumous....
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx