gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 02:06:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys vs Beatles in the same years  (Read 73712 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2011, 06:48:38 AM »

I think its interesting to line up the time lines and look at the Beatles and BBs music this way. A lot of Beatles fans will say, "give me Strawberry Fields over I Get Around any day", well umm yeah! And BB fans say, "give me Pet Sounds over Hard Days Night any day!" Well, yeah!

Anyway, here is a list of the albums released around the same time. Maybe we could do the same with the singles.

Early 63:Surfing USA vs Please Please Me

late 63: Little Douce Coupe vs With the Beatles

Early 64: Shut Down II vs Meet the Beatles

mid 64: All Summer Long vs Hard Days Night

late 64: Christmas LP vs Beatles for Sale

mid 65: Today and SDSN vs Help!

late 65: Party vs Rubber Soul

mid 66: Pet Sounds vs Revolver

mid 67: SMiLE sessions vs Sgt Pepper

late 67: Smiley Smile and Wild Honey vs Magical Mystery Tour

68: Friends vs White Album

69: 20/20 vs Abbey Road

70: Sunflower vs Let it Be

When I have more time, I will listen more to see which I like better. (I know this is unfair being on a BB board, but I love both bands).

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 07:34:22 AM »

Early 63 Surfing  USA
Late 63 LDC and WtB pretty much tie for me.
Early 64 Shut Down II
Mid 64 HDN
Late 64 Christmas LP
Mid 65 Today and SDSN (kind of an unfair match up)  LOL
Late 65 Rubber Soul (also an unfair match up)
Mid 66 Tie for both Revolver and Pet Sounds
Mid 67 SMiLE.. easily
Late 67 Magical Mystery Tour
68 White Album
69 Abbey Road
70 Let It Be

Not too surprising. Beach Boys kicked ass until the machine broke.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 07:48:25 AM »

Early 63:Surfing USA
late 63: Little Douce Coupe
Early 64: Shut Down II
mid 64: All Summer Long
late 64: Christmas LP
mid 65: Today and SDSN
late 65: Party
mid 66: Pet Sounds
mid 67: Smile sessions
late 67: Smiley Smile and Wild Honey
68: Friends
69: 20/20
70: Sunflower
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 08:20:23 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 07:59:04 AM »

In some ways, the Beatles and Beach Boys are much more fun to compare on the strength of individual songs than entire albums. Both groups have an equal number of five-star songs, but I find the Beatles' albums more consistent and enjoyable to listen to in sequence, especially before 1967.

Not long ago I made three playlists for each group, divided into major changes in sound until 1970, with my guess at each group's best songs. That was a fun comparison: not to figure out which group is "better", but because it really highlights their similarities and differences.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 08:01:56 AM »

The BB's xmas LP was a blip in '64...but the Concert LP released around the same time was MASSIVE. So if you're going to compare, I think that one is more appropriate vs Beatles '65 (Beatles for Sale)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 08:06:27 AM »

It's also worth noting that many of  Beatles biggest hits were never on any of the UK albums.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 08:09:08 AM »

Early 63:Surfing USA
late 63: Little Douce Coupe
late 64: Christmas LP
late 65: Party
mid 66: Pet Sounds
mid 67: SMiLE sessions
68: Friends
69: 20/20

I was about to post the exact same thing. group hug
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 08:47:26 AM »

I'm merely going to substitute "plus" for "versus" on this list...and come out a much bigger winner for it!

When you've got two powerhouse greats like Fabs/BBs, it's silly to put one over the other.

"What's my favorite Beatles song? That's like saying which is better, red beans or cabbage...don't you know, they all taste great?" - Ray Charles
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 09:03:57 AM »

"I am blind.

Blind to the truth! The truth being the Beach Boys are better than the Beatles!" - Ray Charles

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 09:08:14 AM »

"What's my favorite Beatles song? That's like saying which is better, red beans or cabbage...don't you know, they all taste great?" - Ray Charles

While that is a great quote, and very relevant to the discussion at hand, it bugs me. You're going to ask Ray Charles, one of the people who helped invent rock and roll, what his favorite Beatles song is? Hell, the racial connotations alone make me squirm. But it's similar to how every single interview or documentary about the BBs involves at least one Beatles-related question, if not a slew of them. While the competition/exchange with the Beatles is a part of the BBs story, it's not an overarching theme, is it?

Anyways, I think every pop musician should be asked to pick a favorite Ray Charles song each and every time they're interviewed.  Razz
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 09:09:20 AM by MarcellaHasDirtyFeet » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 09:18:26 AM »

Early 63: Please Please Me

late 63: Little Douce Coupe /With the Beatles(tied,WTB for songs LDC for production)

mid 64: All Summer Long / Hard Days Night (Tied,ASL for production,HDN for the songs)

late 64:  Beatles for Sale

mid 65: Today/ SDSN (becasue of the wall of sound production and songs) Only VERY slighlty though

late 65: Rubber Soul (without a doubt both UK and US)

mid 66: Pet Sounds (of course)

mid 67: SMiLE (Sgt Pepper IMO is not as good as MMT or Smile,even though the Mono Version of SP is really cool)

late 67: Smiley Smile /Wild Honey / Magical Mystery Tour ( tied,all three are great IMO)

68:  White Album

69: Abbey Road

70: Sunflower (just because LIB has always been "bottom of the barrel" IMO)

adam78
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 09:19:02 AM »

Here's mine for what it's worth:

late 63:  With the Beatles
Early 64: Meet the Beatles
mid 64: Hard Days Night
late 64: Beatles for Sale
late 65: Rubber Soul
mid 66: Pet Sounds & Revolver
mid 67: SMiLE sessions & Sgt Pepper
68: Friends & White Album
69:  Abbey Road
70: Let it Be

There's some in there that I just cannot choose over!! It's like picking a favourite child!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 09:19:51 AM »

[Anyways, I think every pop musician should be asked to pick a favorite Ray Charles song each and every time they're interviewed.  Razz
[/quote]

.....at least every pop musician who realizes his music is rooted in gospel.........
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 10:21:58 AM »

Early 63: Surfin' USA
late 63: Little Deuce Coupe
Early 64: Shut Down vol. II
late 64: Beach Boys Concert
late 65: Rubber Soul
mid 66: Revolver
mid 67: The Smile Sessions
late 67: WILD HONEY!!
68: White Album

cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 10:25:08 AM »

Early 63:Surfing USA vs Please Please Me - PPM

late 63: Little Douce Coupe vs With the Beatles  - WTB

Early 64: Shut Down II vs Meet the Beatles - TIE

mid 64: All Summer Long vs Hard Days Night - ASL

late 64: Christmas LP vs Beatles for Sale -  TIE

mid 65: Today and SDSN vs Help! - Help

late 65: Party vs Rubber Soul - RS

mid 66: Pet Sounds vs Revolver - TIE

mid 67: SMiLE sessions vs Sgt Pepper - Sgt Pepper

late 67: Smiley Smile and Wild Honey vs Magical Mystery Tour - MMT

68: Friends vs White Album - TIE

69: 20/20 vs Abbey Road - AR

70: Sunflower vs Let it Be - Sunflower

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 10:27:09 AM »

Early 63: Surfing USA vs Please Please Me = tie (both good; PPM was easily the better debut)

late 63: Little Deuce Coupe vs With the Beatles = LDC (I don't know what's on WTB)

Early 64: Shut Down II vs Meet the Beatles = SDII (obviously, but see above)

mid 64: All Summer Long vs Hard Days Night = ASL

late 64: Christmas vs Beatles for Sale = BFS (don't know what's on it but it has to be better than Christmas music)

mid 65: Today and SDSN vs Help! - T/SDSN

late 65: Party vs Rubber Soul = RS

mid 66: Pet Sounds vs Revolver = pass

mid 67: SMiLE sessions vs Sgt Pepper = TSS (although good call on mono Pepper)

late 67: Smiley Smile and Wild Honey vs Magical Mystery Tour = SS/WH (for many reasons, not least "CWTL")

68: Friends vs White Album = WA (always had problems with Friends)

69: 20/20 vs Abbey Road = AR

70: Sunflower vs Let it Be = S (with apologies and kudos to Uncle Phil)  

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
The Madcap
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 10:34:32 AM »

Late 63: With The Beatles
Early 64:Shut Down Vol II, but only because Meet The Beatles is redundant
Mid 64: Hard Days Night
Late 64: Christmas LP, but just barely
Mid 65: Today and SDSN
Late 65: Rubber Soul
Mid 66: F*ck! This is a hard one. Both are in my top 10 favorite albums of all time. OK. I'll go with Pet Sounds
Mid 67: SMiLE
Late 67: This is also a hard one. Magical Mystery Tour and WH are pretty close for me, and both are above Smiley Smile. Magical Mystery Tour
68: White Album

A broken man too tough to cry
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 10:34:54 AM »

Slightly OT but I feel it's worth a mention - after being forced to rush out two early lps, song for song The Kinks 60's records are as strong as any other group from this era (and all originals too). Add to that the many non album A- sides, B- sides and EP's of exceptional quality that they stuck out during this period and you have one criminally underrated band.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 10:41:26 AM »

Slightly OT but I feel it's worth a mention - after being forced to rush out two early lps, song for song The Kinks 60's records are as strong as any other group from this era (and all originals too). Add to that the many non album A- sides, B- sides and EP's of exceptional quality that they stuck out during this period and you have one criminally underrated band.

well allmusic awarded 5 stars to the following; face to face, something else, village green. Maybe I should check out their discography.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 10:50:34 AM »

well allmusic awarded 5 stars to the following; face to face, something else, village green. Maybe I should check out their discography.

You absolutely should, if you haven't already - the Kinks were incredible and those are three of their best!  Smiley
grooveblaster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 11:02:42 AM »

wow, we could get really specific and go by songs recorded on the same day

For example let's start with two songs recorded on Oct. 13, 1965  Drive My Car vs. Little Girl I Once Knew.
grooveblaster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 11:04:58 AM »

You absolutely should, if you haven't already - the Kinks were incredible and those are three of their best!  Smiley

Yeah I would agree. Just a shame that the production values of the Kinks stuff was always lacking compared to the Beach Boys and Beatles. Think it may have had something to do with Pye
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 11:46:29 AM »

I would take out each band's weaker albums such as Beatles For Sale because clearly they were being rushed out with lots of filler. I would limit myself to the 10 best albums by either band and would go for something like:

1) Pet Sounds
2) Revolver
3) Smile
4) Abbey Rd
5) Sgt Pepper
6) Today
7) Sunflower
Cool AHDN
9) Rubber Soul
10) White Album

Beach Boys get 4 of the top 10 but I cannot honestly put another BB album above the three Beatles albums in 8-10.

Both bands could make great albums when they had no distractions.

It should be noted in fairness that The Beatles had George Martin whilst The Beach Boys had the Wrecking Crew, Tony Asher and Van Dyke Parks so we are not just comparing two groups of musicians, or Brian v L&M
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 12:05:45 PM »

I tend to think about comparing the catalogs too, but you have them lined up a little wrong.  I would omit the Christmas Album AND In Concert since The Beatles had nothing similar to compare to them.  Instead I would have Beatles For Sale vs. Today! and Help! vs. Summer Days.

But then you have the US or UK Beatles albums issue.  I'm going to go with the UK versions for now.

But The Beatles will always prevail guys because not only were most of their albums stronger, but you are forgetting the KILLER singles they deliberatly left off all those albums! 

Early 63:Surfing USA vs Please Please Me - Please Please Me

late 63: Little Douce Coupe vs With the Beatles  - With The Beatles (She Loves You AND I Want To Hold Your Hand were left off this album)

Early 64: Shut Down II vs Meet the Beatles - Hands down Meet The Beatles.  Shut Down has way too much filler. 

mid 64: All Summer Long vs Hard Days Night - Hard Days Night (but it's close)

late 64: Today! vs Beatles for Sale -  Today!    Beatles were running low on original material and still left off I Feel Fine and She's A Woman.

mid 65: Summer Days vs Help! - Help!

late 65: Party vs Rubber Soul - Rubber Soul and they still left off Day Tripper and We Can Work It Out

mid 66: Pet Sounds vs Revolver - Tie  but remember they left off Paperback Writer and Rain

mid 67: SMiLE sessions vs Sgt Pepper - Tie but again - Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields could have been on it and Sgt Pepper would have been even bigger.

late 67: Smiley Smile and Wild Honey vs Magical Mystery Tour - SS/WH  Magical Mystery Tour is a 6 song EP.  If you count Hello Goodbye, All You Need Is Love and Baby You're A Rich Man, it's sounding better, but I'll give SS/WH the nod

68: Friends vs White Album - White Album   That's not including Hey Jude/Revoltion single or the Lady Madonna/Across The Universe/Inner Light/Hey Bulldog session of early '68.

69: 20/20 vs Abbey Road - Abbey Road

70: Sunflower vs Let it Be - Tie

You have to take the Beatles singles into this discussion to be fair. 
Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 01:24:49 PM »

I would take out each band's weaker albums such as Beatles For Sale because clearly they were being rushed out with lots of filler.
Increasingly, I think this album gets a bum rap.  Sure, there are a few duds on it and they resorted to some covers, but this was the point where John's songwriting really started to mature with his Dylanesque phase:  No Reply, I'm A Loser, Baby's In Black, Eight Days A Week, Every Little Thing, I Don't Want To Spoil The Party.  If Paul had been able to keep pace, BFS would have been regarded as a big step forward, IMO.

Both bands really had to churn the product out in these early years, so it's not surprising that these albums are uneven.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx