gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680725 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 10:55:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heroes & Villians - Alternative 60's Single Edit (fan made)  (Read 2143 times)
adam78
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2011, 03:14:07 AM »

Hello there,

A while back, I got to thinking about how Bruce said he knew they'd made a mistake with heroes and villians when in the uk, everyone stopped dancing during the song in a club he was attending. This got me thinking about making an edit that makes it a bit more 60's club friendly, that hopefully keeps the drive and feel all the way through. Just for fun of course but thought i'd share with you lovely people.

Despite what you may think. This actually took a little while to do and i'm still not 100% pleased. A LOT of shifting at times to make things match and once i get my sanity back, i'll maybe tweak a couple of parts.

I've actually just finished my Smile mix too and i'm really happy with it. I'll post that later. I personally think it flows beautifully with a few things in there that may not have been heard before.

Thanks for listening.

http://www.multiupload.com/NJ4YKXPTRW
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 03:19:12 AM »

Bruce said he knew they'd made a mistake with heroes and villians when in the uk, everyone stopped dancing during the song in a club he was attending.

The hell kinda logic is this, Brucey boi? I'm reminded of the time ages ago when Rivers Cuomo said he lost interest in a song if he couldn't jog on his treadmill to it. Thankfully he moved past that, and I assume Bruce did, too.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 03:54:49 AM »

Trippy man!  3D
adam78
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 01:45:43 PM »

Haha! I'm guessing this edit has been met with considerable indifference!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 02:48:31 PM »

It's like a trip that never ends.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 04:53:18 PM »

cool idea but doesnt work for me. at least no techno beats were added  Razz

how much of Sgt Pepper is danceable really? i don't think Brian and Van were really shooting for "danceable"
Good Vibs isn't necessarily dance music either and it did ok.

still, it would be kind of funny to witness the scene Bruce describes
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 05:39:24 AM »

Haha! I'm guessing this edit has been met with considerable indifference!
No, it's that your download "was temporarily unavailable".

Try mediafire.

pobbard
Smiley Smile Associate

My ultimate guilty pleasure

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 08:42:25 AM »

Neat idea!

Bruce's comment reminds me of something I've been thinking about: I think collapse of SMILE had as much do with the failure to find a single to follow "Good Vibrations" as anything else -- problems with the label, inter-band strife, etc. Brian was focusing on "H&V" and "Vega-Tables" as singles, but neither had a chorus to match the main hooks of "GV" -- "I'm pickin up Good Vibrations / She's givin' me..." and "Good, good, good, good vibrations!" The "Bicycle Rider" theme is majestic, but not catchy in the same way the hooks of "G&V" were. All of that work Brian did on "H&V" over many many months couldn't, in the end, circumvent this issue. It's an amazing song -- both in its "Cantina" and SS versions -- but it's far denser, and much less catchy, than "Good Vibrations" (or most prior successful BB singles -- "Wouldn't It Be Nice", "Sloop John B", etc). I think if SMILE had had a stronger, more obvious single (besides "Good Vibrations", already released), the story *may* have ended differently...

adam78
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 09:09:54 AM »

Yeah I totally agree. I always see the heroes and villians single in the 60's where they lost many people.

It's no coincidence that almost everyone who's ever heard music, at least knows Good Vibrations and usually attributes a comment for the positive about it. Of course. It was and is a massive song. Yet, the very next single released when they were voted the best group in the world can't be named by two thirds, probably more, of people who follow music. It's a real strange one.

Many musical friends of mine who love a lot of beach boys songs don't get on with Heroes and Villians. I love it. Do I think it makes a good single....especially in 67? Not really.
trismegistus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 10:14:13 AM »

I dig it, especially the first minute and a half or so is really solid. Of course it still suffers from the same problem that all versions of H&V have, that there's no good catchy chorus, but that's Brian's fault of course, not yours, Thanks for the download!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx