gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 11:01:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl & Passions/Pet Sounds LP  (Read 4303 times)
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2011, 02:31:45 PM »

I found a copy of this after years of searching for $20 in great shape..Is that a good deal? Its in mono and I must say its sounds pretty damn good Grin
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 02:37:06 PM »

A good way to find out if you got ripped off is to check the price of the item on Amazon. Unless it's an ultra rare limited edition pressing or whatever chances are it will be on Amazon, for a reasonable price.

No mas, por favor.
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 02:45:08 PM »

Thank you S O T!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 06:51:44 PM by jimmy1949 » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 05:50:09 PM »

I paid 15 pounds sterling for mine, so I'd say that's a good price if in good condition. The best sounding Pet Sounds, in my opinion. And the best sounding CATP, if that matters to you  Wink

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 05:52:55 PM »

was "carl and the passions" mixed in mono or are you saying "pet sounds" is mono?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 06:06:54 PM »

PS in mono, CATP in stereo! I don't believe they did them any differently....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 06:07:08 PM »

CATP (stereo) and PS (mono), the way Brian cut it. Smiley

hypehat beat me by 14 seconds.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 06:09:28 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 06:18:51 PM »

I paid 15 pounds sterling for mine, so I'd say that's a good price if in good condition. The best sounding Pet Sounds, in my opinion. And the best sounding CATP, if that matters to you  Wink

Carl and the Passions is one of the albums that suffered most in the transfer to cd in my opinion.  The front side really leaps out of the speakers on the vinyl, the drums on Here She Comes especially, and Dennis songs also feel a lot more dynamic.  The CD sounds really dead to my ears, by comparison.  And this is coming from someone who often prefers the sound of CDs to vinyl (that being what I grew up with, I think being the main factor). 
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 08:07:04 PM »

Isn't some of CATP in Desperquad? ( or am I misremembering)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 04:12:27 AM »

I paid 15 pounds sterling for mine, so I'd say that's a good price if in good condition. The best sounding Pet Sounds, in my opinion. And the best sounding CATP, if that matters to you  Wink

Carl and the Passions is one of the albums that suffered most in the transfer to cd in my opinion.  The front side really leaps out of the speakers on the vinyl, the drums on Here She Comes especially, and Dennis songs also feel a lot more dynamic.  The CD sounds really dead to my ears, by comparison.  And this is coming from someone who often prefers the sound of CDs to vinyl (that being what I grew up with, I think being the main factor).  
I bought my LP upon release and my copy sounds muddy as hell. So did my 8-Track, as well as my Sony/Epic CD. The Capitol 2-fer is the only release that sounds half way decent to my ears. As much as I always liked the album, I never liked how it sounded.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 04:13:38 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 05:24:03 AM »

Agree on PS. Got it myself withoug knowing about the sound TBH, there also was a PS-only release of that mono version, with a brown (sic) sleeve, and without the familiar Cooper Black typeface. And, IIRC, different photos too.

The sound is spectacular, at any rate. Beats everything else.

All that for a mere 5 Dutch guilders, being new. (5 guilders = about $ 2, at that time).

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
sweedish frog
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 09:03:42 AM »

Over the years trawling second hand record shops here in the UK I’ve found that I encounter the US double set of CATP far more frequently than the UK single disc edition.

First time I played Pet Sounds from the set (which cost me £15 back in 1998) I could really notice the difference in quality over the previous pressings I’d owned (the original 66 UK pressing being particularly horrible).  It wasn’t until a few years later that the whole East / West Coast masters story unfolded so I wasn’t aware of why it sounded so good at the time, just that it did.  It’s the version of PS I head to if I’m in a Vinyl mood (or sometimes the Stereo edition from 99 if I’m feeling that way inclined)

Last week I had to go to Reading to pick up an engagement ring for my hopefully soon to be fiancé.  I left the shop, wallet considerably lighter, carrying a piddly little bag emblazoned with the name of the jewellers.  Not wishing to be mugged before I made it back home (I travelled by train) I headed for a second hand record shop which I’d last visited many moons ago (and which I doubted would still be in existence – darn you eBay!) with the intent of picking up a nice 12” sized carrier bag and maybe even some vinyl to go in it.   To my surprise it was still there so I headed to the ‘B’ section and there was not one, but two double CATP sets.  Both sets carried the white Brother Records ‘Promotional – Not For Resale’  labels on both the CATP and PS records and both sets were in the bargain bin at £3 a go.  Since fate had clearly decided I should mark this special day with the purchase of another great sounding copy of PS it was my pleasure to oblige.   And I’m happy to report that both CATP and the ring made it home safe and sound.

As an added bonus as I was examining the inner sleeves (The “Loss Leaders, Reprise only have one inner sleeve”jobs) a little press release for CATP fell out.  It features some classic blurb and a shot of the 6 boys that I’d not come across before.  Guess it must have been nestled in there since 1972.

And Hello.  Signed up in 05 after the demise of the original board and have been lurking ever since.  Thought I pop my head over the parapet. 
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 10:46:10 AM »

Is the CATP-piggybacked Pet Sounds LP really mono?  I was certain I had read it was the duophonic.  In fact I probably read it here.
sparkydog1725
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 11:05:56 AM »

Is the CATP-piggybacked Pet Sounds LP really mono?  I was certain I had read it was the duophonic.  In fact I probably read it here.

Mono. It sounds so spacious it may have fooled a few people into thinking it was stereo-ized.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 07:59:45 PM »

Just picked up one of these off amazon, pretty excited!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 01:34:29 AM »

Is the CATP-piggybacked Pet Sounds LP really mono?  I was certain I had read it was the duophonic.  In fact I probably read it here.

Mono, and a very good pressing at that.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 01:37:34 AM »

Only the Dennis tracks - the rest was mixed into quad by someone who didn't really know how to do it, hence it sounds a bit odd, even over 4 channels.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Paulos
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 02:41:16 AM »

Over the years trawling second hand record shops here in the UK I’ve found that I encounter the US double set of CATP far more frequently than the UK single disc edition.

First time I played Pet Sounds from the set (which cost me £15 back in 1998) I could really notice the difference in quality over the previous pressings I’d owned (the original 66 UK pressing being particularly horrible).  It wasn’t until a few years later that the whole East / West Coast masters story unfolded so I wasn’t aware of why it sounded so good at the time, just that it did.  It’s the version of PS I head to if I’m in a Vinyl mood (or sometimes the Stereo edition from 99 if I’m feeling that way inclined)

Last week I had to go to Reading to pick up an engagement ring for my hopefully soon to be fiancé.  I left the shop, wallet considerably lighter, carrying a piddly little bag emblazoned with the name of the jewellers.  Not wishing to be mugged before I made it back home (I travelled by train) I headed for a second hand record shop which I’d last visited many moons ago (and which I doubted would still be in existence – darn you eBay!) with the intent of picking up a nice 12” sized carrier bag and maybe even some vinyl to go in it.   To my surprise it was still there so I headed to the ‘B’ section and there was not one, but two double CATP sets.  Both sets carried the white Brother Records ‘Promotional – Not For Resale’  labels on both the CATP and PS records and both sets were in the bargain bin at £3 a go.  Since fate had clearly decided I should mark this special day with the purchase of another great sounding copy of PS it was my pleasure to oblige.   And I’m happy to report that both CATP and the ring made it home safe and sound.

As an added bonus as I was examining the inner sleeves (The “Loss Leaders, Reprise only have one inner sleeve”jobs) a little press release for CATP fell out.  It features some classic blurb and a shot of the 6 boys that I’d not come across before.  Guess it must have been nestled in there since 1972.

And Hello.  Signed up in 05 after the demise of the original board and have been lurking ever since.  Thought I pop my head over the parapet. 

Cool story Frog and great first post, which it should be considering it was 5 years in the making!  Smiley
ahoutman1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 11:18:37 AM »

i got mine for 2.49 on ebay plus shipping. some slight ringwear but NM vinyl
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 11:52:04 AM »

Only the Dennis tracks - the rest was mixed into quad by someone who didn't really know how to do it, hence it sounds a bit odd, even over 4 channels.

Great! Now I have to find me a quad receiver!!!!  Huh
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 12:15:32 PM »

This was the second Beach Boys album I ever picked up, after Greatest Hits Vol. 1.  Found my original copy used at a flea market in late 1972. C&TP with Pet Sounds. First time I'd heard Pet Sounds. C&TP obviously sounded much different than Pet Sounds, and I wondered at the time why the two were packaged like that. I played both records to death back in the 70's. Second Pet Sounds I picked up was an original mono one sealed, then I picked up the 1974 version of Pet Sounds when it came out. Sonically, that Pet Sounds sounded very good; maybe even better than previous versions at that point. CT&P is one album I wish they'd remaster. I don't think it'll happen though. Still pull out the album sometimes and really hope they at least play "Marcella" from it in the upcoming tour.

Did you know that Patty Hearst had the CT&P/Pet Sounds album(s) in her record collection when she was arrested in S.F.? Girl had good taste in music, but not men.  Grin
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 12:31:14 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 05:51:58 AM »

It's unfortunate but awesome at the same time---I found the Pet Sounds re-issue that was to come with So Tough at a headshop, but unfortunately, the person who sold it to the show didn't have So Tough...now what listener would keep So Tough but not Pet Sounds?  Grin

And people wonder why I have 6 different copies of Pet Sounds on vinyl, there's no wonder at all people!

PS: I like the bag of peanuts under the track listing.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 05:52:55 AM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 05:54:20 AM »

BTW, slightly off topic, but are the Pet Sounds re-issues left in the package going to be worth anymore than I payed for in the next  10 years? I have the first re-issue from late 90s/or early 00s and the 40th anniversery with green/yellow vinyl.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 07:46:04 PM »

listening to this pressing of pet sounds for the first time.  Wouldn't it be Nice is as muddy as it ever is in mono, but "don't talk" is  Thud
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx