gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:23:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So the reunion might be announced today? *fingers crossed*  (Read 38130 times)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 02, 2011, 01:22:08 PM »

This was already posted in the thread

Yes, I know the quote has already been posted, but the article shows another interpretation. My point is that some writers are taking the quote to be about Van Halen, not the BBs.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 02, 2011, 04:38:16 PM »

This was already posted in the thread

Yes, I know the quote has already been posted, but the article shows another interpretation. My point is that some writers are taking the quote to be about Van Halen, not the BBs.

Well here's the thing, The Beach Boys an Van Halen are all rumours...

All we know is, Rolling Stone are 100% sure it's The Beach Boys

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: December 02, 2011, 09:26:14 PM »

Leave it to The Beach Boys to make another shaky publicity move. Hard to believe these guys can not make a decision for even one appearance together.

Yet many fans on this message board are crazy enough to believe these guys could crank out a worthwhile new album.  Roll Eyes

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 02, 2011, 09:32:55 PM »

Considering they're opening a restaurant in Vegas with a chain to possibly follow, the negotiations could even involve that and all the financial things are making it more complicated and time-consuming.  I also take the restaurant opening as a sign that they will reunite.  They'd have to do a joint appearance at least for the opening, I would think. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: December 02, 2011, 09:43:48 PM »

Part of me hopes the future image of this band isn't tied to a restaurant.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: December 02, 2011, 09:45:50 PM »

Of course they won't. They'll be remembered for their last number 1.

No mas, por favor.
The Madcap
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 02, 2011, 09:59:26 PM »

Don't remind me...

A broken man too tough to cry
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: December 02, 2011, 10:04:32 PM »

Would that be better or worse than being remembered for serving killer plates of chicken-finger appetizers and slammin' turkey-burger sliders? Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 02, 2011, 11:24:53 PM »

Would that be better or worse than being remembered for serving killer plates of chicken-finger appetizers and slammin' turkey-burger sliders? Grin

Much, much worse.

Hey did you know that Mike wrote Kokomo without cousin Brian? Brian wasn't even there, and that song went all the way to number 1.

No mas, por favor.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: December 03, 2011, 12:02:36 AM »

Much, much worse.

Hey did you know that Mike wrote Kokomo without cousin Brian? Brian wasn't even there, and that song went all the way to number 1.

I know that fact well, I know of Mike's cowriters too who have quite a track record of hits between the three of them, and I also know the song gained a lot of popularity from non-Beach Boys fans by appearing on the Cocktail soundtrack, which was a popular fluff movie that a lot of girls wanted to see because of Tom Cruise. And that the whole Beach Boys scene at that time had a lot of younger female fans who were into Stamos. I remember the first time I saw the video, on MTV, thinking "why is John Stamos there and why is Mike playing a sax?".

I still have the Cocktail soundtrack...I bought that and The Doors debut discs from a friend who needed a few bucks. The Doors I still play often, Cocktail has been in a storage box for many years. Smiley

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: December 03, 2011, 12:10:00 AM »

clocktail? Oh, come on! The profanity filter is *that* picky?

Test: Shrimp Cocktail

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 03, 2011, 12:22:51 AM »

Much, much worse.

I know that fact well, I know of Mike's cowriters too who have quite a track record of hits between the three of them, and I also know the song gained a lot of popularity from non-Beach Boys fans by appearing on the clocktail soundtrack, which was a popular fluff movie that a lot of girls wanted to see because of Tom Cruise. And that the whole Beach Boys scene at that time had a lot of younger female fans who were into Stamos. I remember the first time I saw the video, on MTV, thinking "why is John Stamos there and why is Mike playing a sax?".

I still have the clocktail soundtrack...I bought that and The Doors debut discs from a friend who needed a few bucks. The Doors I still play often, clocktail has been in a storage box for many years. Smiley

Interesting stuff. I was released a few months before Kokomo so I don't really remember what things were like at the time. I tend to avoid Beach Boys things that make me embarrassed so I've never actually seen the video. It sucks they have to play that crap at the reunion though. The first time we get to see Brian perform with Mike in a decade and some odd years is going to be some string-o-hits medley a la Dancing With The Stars, possibly lip synched (do they do live performances at the Grammys?) and John Stamos is probably going to be there. I'm not going to lie though I really do want to see Brian, Mike & Al perform together one last time. Would be a nice way to end The Beach Boys story.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 12:24:39 AM by stack-o-tracks » Logged

No mas, por favor.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 03, 2011, 04:30:58 AM »

The Kokomo video is not really embarrassing in my opinion. Now, the Crocodile Rock video, well? A whole different animal. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 03, 2011, 05:01:04 AM »

How about the "Getcha Back" video...
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 03, 2011, 05:27:33 AM »

71 days till a possible Beach Boys reunion. sweet! Grin

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 03, 2011, 06:06:52 AM »

I dunno, if you're embarrassed by the Beach Boys at this point, I think you need thicker skin.  I like Kokomo the track and don't especially mind the video either.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 03, 2011, 06:13:49 AM »

I don't get the rush to blame Brian's management. How about Brian himself?

From a great Boston Globe piece that ran a month ago:

Jardine, at one point, told Rolling Stone that the group might do 100 dates around the world. Wilson, in an interview, was noncommittal, saying “nothing’s confirmed.’’

“The only reason for him to do it would be if he decides he deserves to be able to celebrate 50 years of his music with the people he actually started with,’’ says Melinda Wilson.

Does she think Wilson will perform again with Love? She sighs.

“You know Brian,’’ she says. “From day to day it changes. From hour to hour it changes. What do I think he really wants to do? I don’t know. I haven’t asked him today.’’

http://articles.boston.com/2011-10-30/ae/30339311_1_smile-sessions-beach-boys-carl-and-dennis-wilson/4

Frankly, it sounds like Brian still hasn't made up his mind. And like his management would really like him to.

I agree.  I think everybody's on board, including Melinda, but Brian isn't.  People think she and his managers tell him everything to do, Brian's passive agressive as hell, if he doesn't want to do something he'll go crawl in bed.  

I think that's why he put the weight back on, so they cant' physically drag him down the hallway.  Once he grabs onto the bathroom door casing, they haven't figured out a way to physically pull him farther than that, then he crawls back to the bedroom after they leave. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 06:24:52 AM by Ron » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 03, 2011, 06:23:08 AM »

How about the "Getcha Back" video...

Oh,.... you mean.... THE GREATEST VIDEO THEY EVER RECORDED>?>>>>>HuhHuh??

That one? lol
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: December 03, 2011, 06:25:29 AM »

I don't get the rush to blame Brian's management. How about Brian himself?

From a great Boston Globe piece that ran a month ago:

Jardine, at one point, told Rolling Stone that the group might do 100 dates around the world. Wilson, in an interview, was noncommittal, saying “nothing’s confirmed.’’

“The only reason for him to do it would be if he decides he deserves to be able to celebrate 50 years of his music with the people he actually started with,’’ says Melinda Wilson.

Does she think Wilson will perform again with Love? She sighs.

“You know Brian,’’ she says. “From day to day it changes. From hour to hour it changes. What do I think he really wants to do? I don’t know. I haven’t asked him today.’’

http://articles.boston.com/2011-10-30/ae/30339311_1_smile-sessions-beach-boys-carl-and-dennis-wilson/4

Frankly, it sounds like Brian still hasn't made up his mind. And like his management would really like him to.

I agree.  I think everybody's on board, including Melinda, but Brian isn't.  People think she and his managers tell him everything to do, Brian's passive agressive as hell, if he doesn't want to do something he'll go crawl in bed. 

Everyone assumes that Brian doesn't want to do this. Suppose he does, but is just being Brian about it and putting everyone on ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 03, 2011, 06:31:39 AM »

I like Kokomo too, save for Mike's nasal, syrupy vocals. It is a lovely summer-dreamy composition. Had the vocal arrangement been different and had it been recorded during the band's heyday, everybody would regard it as a stone BBs classic.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: December 03, 2011, 06:57:42 AM »

I like Kokomo too, save for Mike's nasal, syrupy vocals. It is a lovely summer-dreamy composition. Had the vocal arrangement been different and had it been recorded during the band's heyday, everybody would regard it as a stone BBs classic.

I once considered doing a "Pet Sounds Era" arrangement of Kokomo.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 03, 2011, 07:17:53 AM »

I once considered doing a "Pet Sounds Era" arrangement of Kokomo.

You could still do it... I'd be very curious, honest.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 03, 2011, 08:36:46 AM »

I've personally always been ok with Kokomo...it's not my favorite BB song but it's far far from my least favorite.  I think it's actually one of Mike's better vocals because it's in the lower range and not a "wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnn" type thing. ( Actually I just look for an excuse to reference that any chance I get)
I do however love the original with John Phillips on the lead on the Many Mamas, Many Papas collection. I wish the BB arrangement had stuck truer to that musically and lyrically.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 03, 2011, 09:03:24 AM »

I like Kokomo the track

Given that it features Van Dyke Parks, Jim Keltner and Ry Cooder, everybody should!

Speaking of which ... is it possible than Van Dyke actually receives regular royalties for his work on Kokomo? What a mind f---! (Yes, I know he's on SIP, too. I just refuse to believe it.)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: December 03, 2011, 09:21:58 AM »

I've seen the claim that Summer In Paradise was one of the first albums if not the first to be recorded with ProTools, which is now the industry standard. Is this true?

And the point of bringing up Kokomo and the movie Cocktail (note the profanity filter in effect...) was that the single was a good single but I'm speculating it would not have done as much in sales and popularity if it had not been used in that movie. And the segment of female fans who were following both Stamos and Tom Cruise in 1988 was a big sales motivator for that song. Just my speculation.

The best I ever heard Kokomo was an unplugged snippet on the "Regis And Kathie Lee" TV show, when the Boys were on plugging the country album and they did a quick performance of the song around the piano. Carl's voice made that song, and he sounded awesome that morning, it made me re-think the song entirely and I enjoy it much more after that. I have that one on VHS.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx