gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 11:31:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Assorted Smile Questions  (Read 2047 times)
unheard78
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2011, 08:59:48 PM »

Okay, these are things I've been wondering forever for which I can't seem to find solid answers, so please forgive a thrown together thread like this for my first non-introductory post.

Is the Linett tape from 88 circulating between collectors in a complete state? I know the majority of the tracks have ended up in various 'places' but is the whole thing out there?

Anyone know the significance of BWT22 on the 88 Linett tape? I mean, BW, obvious, T could mean tape, but 22? 22nd tape? 22nd copy?

I've been wondering for a long time about the reels that Brian assembled of rough tracks from the album, as well as the tapes the leaked in the seventies and onto bootlegs. Can anyone shed some light on the Preiss tape, the "fire" tape, dat transfer rough mixes or the other sources of Smile tracks long before their official releases?

Of all the things I've ever wanted to know about Smile, my biggest issue is I've never gotten to see a copy of Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE! Any suggestion on where to look for a copy that won't break my wallet in half?

Okay, those weren't nearly as many questions as I thought there were going to be but those are what is on my mind. can anyone shine some light for me please? PLEASE?!?!?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 05:37:35 AM »

Of all the things I've ever wanted to know about Smile, my biggest issue is I've never gotten to see a copy of Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE! Any suggestion on where to look for a copy that won't break my wallet in half?

Have you tried eBay? I've seen some reasonable prices being bandied about over there.

As for the other questions: No idea, I'm afraid! I'm sure a more knowledgeable poster can help you.   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 09:28:53 AM »

There was a thread  about vintage Brian  Smile mixes/edits that answered where and what the test reels consisted of, so scroll down a wee bit and it should be around

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 10:31:56 AM »

It sure would be cool to see a history of the old vinyl SMILE boots and how they came to be...but that'd probably put some people on the spot, huh?
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 12:43:17 PM »

There are currently 2 copies on Ebay and the prices are very reasonable.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 03:59:44 PM »

It sure would be cool to see a history of the old vinyl SMILE boots and how they came to be...but that'd probably put some people on the spot, huh?

No-one with any reputation left to speak of.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 07:28:56 PM »

No-one with any reputation left to speak of.

LOL

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
unheard78
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 04:49:54 PM »

Well, I may have figured out another way to check out LLVS, and I read the other posts about Brian's vintage mixes. It certainly would be great to do a historical break-down of SMiLE boots through the years, although that is most likely something that will always remain a pipe dream. As for Mark Linett's rough mix tape from 88, I'd still like to know if the whole thing is available somewhere as a direct rip rather than an assembly from multiple sources.

A newer question: do all copies of Holidays on the Japanese boot CD that contains most of the Linett rough mixes cut off early?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx