gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 06:30:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smile vs Smiley Smile Budget  (Read 1336 times)
groganb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2011, 09:55:33 AM »

I'm almost all the way through the box set now, and it seems like the Wrecking Crew gets more and more scarce as we get into the later stuff.
I'm wondering what we know about Brian's recording budget as Smile got canceled and/or as Brother came into being.
When Brother became official, was Capitol's big studio tab closed? Do we know if Brian had to make due with much less money once Smile fizzled/Brother began? Did the BBs take over financing?
Was there a day when suddenly Brian's deep-pocket studio financing went away? If so, when would that have been, I wonder? And would the reason have been the Smile cancellation or the switch to Brother? Could the move to Brother and the BBs own wallet be the real, unstated reason for Smile's demise, moreso than anything else? If so, whoops.
Hope someone has some info on the $$ aspect of all this.
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 11:20:37 AM »

This is a really interesting question and I hope somebody knowledgeable can weigh in.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 11:47:43 AM »

I definitely have long thought that the home studio was all about money.. However, I am not sure if he increasingly used the Wrecking Crew all that much less, did he? I mean Da-Da has them on it, right? I think most of it was already recorded and he got stuck on Heroes and Villains and Vegetables, but the rest was recorded. He just recorded less. There were those remakes of Wonderful and the final stab at Child... but other than a lot of vocals I think that most of it had already been done.

By the way, I listened to the Smile sessions chronologically last weekend and it really does present quite an intereting narrative.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 01:15:02 PM »

I definitely have long thought that the home studio was all about money.. However, I am not sure if he increasingly used the Wrecking Crew all that much less, did he? I mean Da-Da has them on it, right? I think most of it was already recorded and he got stuck on Heroes and Villains and Vegetables, but the rest was recorded. He just recorded less. There were those remakes of Wonderful and the final stab at Child... but other than a lot of vocals I think that most of it had already been done.

By the way, I listened to the Smile sessions chronologically last weekend and it really does present quite an intereting narrative.

I'm looking forward to that. I've wanted to do that for a long time but have been too lazy since I thought of it. Should have done it back in my "driven" years.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
P.J.
Smiley Smile Associate

The least you could do is smile.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 01:35:23 PM »

Yeah, I am in the middle of making a playlist of TSS chronologically including other sessions from the boots. Getting excited about it.

"I heard the word -- wonderful thing -- a children's song."
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 07:37:37 PM »

Have fun! It's a pretty complicated task!
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 09:01:38 PM »

Good point. Spending so much time and money on recording an album that didn't come out would've surely been a major factor on the budget sound of Smiley Smile. However, I'm glad it worked out like that. I just wish the "big budget" H&V and GV were left off Smiley so it would've been more cohesive as an album. Just needed a few more trippy, laidback organ numbers.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx