gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680823 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 03:47:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "On A Holiday" 1996 illustration  (Read 16873 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2013, 12:35:01 PM »

Interesting that you're concentrating on that and not the actual topic in question. Fact is, Frank said one thing to me in response to a specific question, then said exactly the opposite to someone else asking an equally specific question on the same subject more recently. Either answer is equally plausible. Welcome to the wonderful world of BB research.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Nicko1234
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2013, 01:25:44 PM »

Either answer is equally plausible.

As either answer is easily plausible, probably would have been best if you hadn't used the terms 'idiot', 'dumbass' and 'shitweasel' when someone made the point 18 months ago.

The reason I don't debate this topic now is because it's pointless debating what Frank now says really isn't it unless further info comes up.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2013, 03:29:06 PM »

As either answer is easily plausible, probably would have been best if you hadn't used the terms 'idiot', 'dumbass' and 'shitweasel' when someone made the point 18 months ago.

I had asked a question of a prime participant and received a reply, which I then posted on this board, only for someone who I considered not only well-versed in BB lore but also well-educated to question this new info based on his flimsy notion that the 1996 copyright on the image was in fact a red herring and that Frank might have done it for the box set (which I can state conclusively is not the case: aside from anything else, he simply didn't have the time). I found that pretty annoying. Still do.

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2013, 06:00:33 PM »

This is a mystery wrapped in an enigma, and I'm trying to imagine circumstances which serve as some sort of semi-plausible explanation of what happened.

The first issue is the 1996 date on the drawing.  It's accurate or it's not. 

If someone in 2010-11 simply back-dated a drawing to 1996, then the logical inference is that FH heard/read the new lyrics for the first time in 2003 or 2004 or later and did a new illustration inspired by those lyrics.   The problem is, why back-date it?  Just a mistake?  Perhaps FH did the drawing in 2004, shoved it in a drawer, forgot about it and then misremembered it as part of an earlier set of Smile drawings that he had done for a proposed Smile set in the mid-1990s?  Possible, I guess.

If the drawing was truly done in 1996, there are a number of possibilities...
-Original Holidays lyrics were supplied at a some point between 1966 and 1996, inclusive.
-VDP's 2003/04 lyrics are inspired by the 1996 drawing of 'Holidays' rather than the other way around.
-Some supernatural phenomenon is at work (time travel? clairvoyance?), and the 'Holidays' drawing is a bit like the 1920s photo at the end of 'The Shining' featuring a young Jack Nicholson.
  Wink
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2013, 06:18:18 PM »

Frank did illustrations in 1966, 1996 and 2000, not in 2003.

Do you still believe these dates to be accurate?  Even if the date on the illustration is wrong, it being done in 2000 would be no less significant.
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2013, 09:52:09 PM »

Woah! Where can we see this fabled On A Holiday illustration???
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2013, 12:13:04 AM »

TSS box set booklet, in the lyrics section. Forget which page exactly but it's bottom right.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2013, 12:20:29 AM »

Frank did illustrations in 1966, 1996 and 2000, not in 2003.

Do you still believe these dates to be accurate?  Even if the date on the illustration is wrong, it being done in 2000 would be no less significant.

Actually, I don't believe he did any illustrations in 1966: the existence of booklets from that time, of course, proves nothing as they could so easily have been faked up later. As for 1996 and 2000, it's a long-accepted principle for someone seeking to establish copyright to put the wrong date on their works, just to confuse researchers such as we are. Everything dates from 2011. Even the ones printed in ESQ a good decade previously. Not many folk know this, but Frank drives a highly modified DeLorean...

I am, of course, being utterly ridiculous for the sake of making a point.  Evil

ash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2013, 02:25:09 AM »

TSS box set booklet, in the lyrics section. Forget which page exactly but it's bottom right.

What we wont find in the lyrics section is the lyrics. I'm still freaked out from your comment a while back that one reason the lyrics for Worms and Holidays weren't included in TSS (when they are clearly significant) is that the lyric sheets were now lost.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2013, 04:08:16 AM »

Here's another dumb theory for you all: Frank did the drawing in 2006 and was mistaken about the decade because he's old now. I know I was a few times! Old Man

I tend to believe the recent email exchange was based on a misunderstanding of some sort. Or, but this guess is also based on nothing, Mr Holmes was bugged by all those people who ask him about those lyrics that he just wrote whatever out of annoyance - something I would totally understand.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2013, 04:49:31 AM »

Having met Frank, I can't imagine him being bugged or annoyed at anyone - lovely man.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2013, 03:40:59 AM »

Well, I didn't present my idea as fact, did I?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx