gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:28:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How Bruce Johnston devestated me musically.  (Read 10065 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2011, 09:17:36 PM »

It's "moved UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT B A START up to Europe", not "moved down up to Europe".

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2011, 09:29:19 PM »

If I thought more than a tiny fraction of the posters on this board agreed with the above two posts, I would never come here again.
How eminently reasonable! I can surely understand how people praising a song you don't enjoy would cause you to abandon a message board you ostensibly otherwise enjoy. A+

- B00ts
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2011, 10:56:02 PM »

Bruce is a paradox. On the one hand, he came up with brilliant arrangements to his songs. On the other hand, he lacked soul. There always seemed to be something lacking with his songs despite their brilliant arrangements.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2011, 02:03:31 AM »

I like this song. Always have.  Now Deidre is another matter altogether...
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2011, 12:33:23 PM »

I am a pretty big fan of Bruce. "Deirdre" and "Tears in the Morning" are amazing. The songs Bruce wrote for the Rip Chords are really good too. "The Queen", "Gone", and "Old Car Made in '52" are awesome.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2011, 01:09:02 PM »

I can only stand so much Bruce

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2011, 02:17:39 PM »

He apparently doesn't like the Friends album. Cry
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2011, 03:14:19 PM »

He apparently has no taste

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2011, 06:23:21 PM »

It's "moved UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT B A START up to Europe", not "moved down up to Europe".

YES!! Contra code for 30 lives!! Brilliant!!!  Cool
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2011, 06:40:43 PM »

Just because we use cheats doesn`t mean we`re not smart.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
MBE
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2011, 08:16:48 PM »

Bruce did some cool things in the sixties pre Beach Boys and during his first run with them "Don't Run Away", "Deirdre", and "Disney Girls" are great records, he sang well and was a good musician, but he was always MOR and in the worst sense of the word. A little goes a long way and I think the direction he led them in 1979-80 was a poor one.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2011, 09:10:26 PM »

I really like Nearest Faraway Place! It is as good as Let's Go Away For A While.

If I thought more than a tiny fraction of the posters on this board agreed with the above two posts, I would never come here again.

Well, then, goodbye Jeff, and farewell!

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2011, 10:34:42 PM »

As much as I think Bruce is pretty corny -- and that's basically undeniable, haha -- it's not as if Brian doesn't (or at least didn't then) dig that kind of outmoded-by-1960s-standards "easy listening"-style lounge-y kinda music too... He just had enough sense do gussy it up a bit with some Chuck Berry and R&B! (Okay, that makes him sound like he's fronted a male early-'60s Chordettes or something but I'm sure y'all get what I mean!)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2011, 02:09:31 AM »

I imagine Bruce taking a single hit off a joint - coughing profusely - and then sipping pink champagne as he stares out into a lake. That's Bruce going as far out as he knows how.

Fantastic! Loving these reviews, Dada. Disney Girls next?

I do like this song, but within the hodge podge context of 20/20, it creates more confusion I think. It would've worked much better on Sunflower which feels like the perfect 70s record to me - unashamedly kitsch sunshine pop - the musical equivalent of orange & brown flower-print wall paper. Maybe (dare I say it) in place of Gotta Know The Woman, although two Bruce ballads side by side might be a bit of a stretch.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
prefect319
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2011, 08:55:34 AM »

Tell you what. I was in this same boat accept it was derdrie that did it for me. I sat there the first time i heard sunflower mouth agape and wondered how it was that i'd never head it before.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2011, 10:16:21 AM »

Tears seemed a bit...more than a bit lyrically schmaltzy/Schlocky but I like the melody of Bruce's songs.  I also like the interplay of the lyrical phrasing and music on Disney Girls.
Nearest Faraway Place has always had a place on my personal mixes and is among the very top BB instrumentals IMO.
I have used it as a transition from the more esoteric high energy songs such as H&V to the return to basics such as DIA.   H&V> NFP>DIA.  The keyboard softly trailing off folowed by the heavy beat intro to DIA.   Bruce's music has a definite place in the catalogue.

......Although I can't say I've been devastated.......
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2011, 11:26:29 AM »

And I hope he gets to Bruce's She Believes in Love Again from BB '85, imo one of the better tracks off that album  Smiley

I never thought we'd have a thread on the musical accomplishments of Mr Johnston, as his stuff isn't the most highly regarded in the Boys canon.

Now, if only they'd recorded I Write the Songs, I'd have tears in my eyes, and not just in the morning ... Cheesy
jabba2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2011, 05:00:51 PM »

The string section in Tears in the Morning is interesting, but not enough to keep me coming back. This would have been a good instrumental.

Now Deirdre is hot sex.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2011, 05:51:14 PM »

And I hope he gets to Bruce's She Believes in Love Again from BB '85, imo one of the better tracks off that album  Smiley

I never thought we'd have a thread on the musical accomplishments of Mr Johnston, as his stuff isn't the most highly regarded in the Boys canon.

Now, if only they'd recorded I Write the Songs, I'd have tears in my eyes, and not just in the morning ... Cheesy
Without a doubt, Mr. Johnston is one of the unsung heroes of The Beach Boys. While he is seen as part of the the Al-Mike bloc, he doesn't inspire the strong emotions that Mike does. He was very supportive of Brian at times and has a true respect and appreciation for Brian's abilities, which as mentioned earlier, he demonstrated compositionally on "The Nearest Faraway Place."

When I met Bruce in 1999, I told him how much I loved "Sunflower" and his material on the album. He basically changed the subject to how much of a genius Brian is, and how far ahead of his time Brian was with SMiLe. He talked to me for a while and was very gracious. He seems like a fantastic guy, without the ego that accompanies his former colleagues. (I'm not blasting Brian or Mike here, they both deserve to have a bit of an ego with what they've accomplished).

I would love to produce an album of Bruce Johnston material. I wish he would try his hand at some new stuff, because it has been way too long. Even though he has never been too prolific a songwriter (witness Goin' Public, comprised of re-recorded songs from the past) I'm sure he has a good backlog of material from the 90s-00s. With the right collaborators, I think Bruce could turn out a great piece of work.

- B00ts
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2011, 06:00:42 PM »

Now Deirdre is hot sex.

Not to pry, but if that's the case I think you might be doing sex wrong.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2011, 06:19:09 PM »

That's some very delicate, lacey, cuddley, eskimo kiss and teddy-bear filled sex, right there.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2011, 06:46:43 PM »

I think more like some hot oil and tennis shorts
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2011, 06:53:19 PM »

Bruce is great!

Bruce is interesting in that he didn't need the Beach Boys. He could stay home and produce records with Terry, he could go be a Beach Boy and tour and play shows,  or he could go off and write huge hit songs for someone else to sing.

Bruce has been in a pretty enviable position, I'd say for pretty much most of his life.

Disney Girls belongs right up there with the best of what Brian or Dennis have ever written.

Bruce is all good by my book.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:34:38 PM by Erik H » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2011, 07:52:27 PM »

Deirdre and Disney Girls are great, even tho they sound like The Partridge Family and Barry Manilow if he was any good, respectively. Nearest Faraway Place is nice, but it has nothing to do with Brian's instrumental work on any level and in truth, it sounds like pretty much any mod-mood-music muzak LP of that era you might find in a thrift store for a dime.
I'm more of a Surfer's Pajama Party/Surfin' Round The World/Bruce & Terry/Rip Chords/My World Fell Down guy, myself.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2011, 08:42:38 PM »

Not a fan of Bruce. Don't like Deirdre, much. Don't like Tears in the Morning, at all (apart from the piano bit at the end). Hate Disney Girls. Hate Endless Harmony, She Believes in Love Again and anything post-1985, without even having to hear any of it.

But I love The Nearest Faraway Place.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx