gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 12:11:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How Bruce Johnston devestated me musically.  (Read 10154 times)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2011, 03:09:28 PM »

I sipped my steaming black organic English breakfast tea, and put my vinyl copy "Tears In The Morning" on the turntable. I was moody, petulant, and disenchanted - only the strained emotions and devastating artistry of Bruce Johnston could keep me in orbit.

And what a peculiar record it is. Listen closely. The guitars, the vibes, the voices, the accordion - they seem subtly warped, as if they're playing in a dream.  Women come, women go... but the tears last forever. A single tear, reflecting all the colors of the rainbow. Somewhere within there is Bruce's pain, and my pain as well.

"So you moved down up to Europe." First of all, what does it mean to move down up? Did she really even move? Or does her heart flutter on the enchanting arpeggios of the accordion to the clustered streets of gay Paris, whilst her subtle body recoils from the tender embrace of Bruce? So many questions. The only answer we have is that accordion, drawing us to the backstreets of Europe.

The accordion would've been enough to floor me. But then, like birds on a wing, come the harpsichord and mandolin. What ancient Italian hillside magic is Bruce conjuring now? Couple that with the succulent harmonies in the chorus, and you've got tears in the morning, afternoon, and night. And the strings! The strings during the bridge are so romantic, alluring, and seductive. Yes, I said seductive. Bruce is a seductive man. These strings - so playful, and so adventurous with their sudden twists and turns like two bodies in coital bliss - DAMN.  Smokin From this musical breakdown, the song builds back up to an ever greater crescendo, with Bruce shouting with every fiber of his being!

Really, though, it's the ending that truly knocks me out. Out of nowhere, we're treated to a b flat minor chord. It seems to resolve the song, although it hadn't been there before. Is this the narrator commuting suicide? Falling asleep? Or just moving on? Then, somewhere faint in the distance, we hear a lonely piano playing a classical tune. It seems to constantly build itself up, only to fall back apart, all within a matter of seconds. Is this a lost record from 1930, or Bruce Johnston? Suddenly, we hear a harmonica, a horn, and some kind of marimba/vibes, building to a something. But then it disappears, without playing that resolving chord again, even though it seemed to promise it would.

So now I can only wonder if we really found answers at all. It's just so mysterious. Damn you, Bruce.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 03:16:16 PM »

I wish I could share in your wonder and enjoyment, but I'm unable to sit through this song. I don't even have it on my computer.

I can listen to the song about Bruce bathing with his daughter no problem though. go figure
Jason
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 03:19:10 PM »

I always thought the quiet piano coda in Tears in the Morning was a brilliant touch. I don't know why the song gets so much hatred. Maybe if Brian wrote it...?
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 03:35:07 PM »

if Brian wrote it... it would be a completely different song then wouldn't it?
i doubt Brian wishes he wrote it.

it gets hatred from me because it's complete schlock.

just awful.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 03:35:23 PM »

I always thought the quiet piano coda in Tears in the Morning was a brilliant touch. I don't know why the song gets so much hatred. Maybe if Brian wrote it...?

I like "dramatic" when it comes to music, but for ages I could not get into this song because I thought it was too dramatic. Like very, very much over-the-top too dramatic.

A friend convinced me to re-listen to it, and while it still makes me giggles from being so over the top sometimes, I've grown to like it. Maybe not love, but like? Like quite a bit? Absolutely.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 03:40:54 PM »

I sipped my steaming black organic English breakfast tea, and put my vinyl copy "Tears In The Morning" on the turntable. I was moody, petulant, and disenchanted - only the strained emotions and devastating artistry of Bruce Johnston could keep me in orbit.

Awesome post!

I have grown to love this song. Everything about it screams 'ephemeral' yet its appeal grows stronger with every listen. I kind of wish Bruce had recorded more with The Beach boys during this period as Deidre, Tears In The Morning and particularly Disney Girls have a lot going for them.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 07:38:09 PM »

The original post is brilliantly satiric. Bravo.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 08:18:57 PM »

I was gonna say.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 08:47:03 PM »

The song is perfect. The poster with his hugely negative title is not. Why not just say you do not like the song? Did Bruce really devastate you musically, you negative destructive critic?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 08:48:59 PM by willy » Logged

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
Caroline, Now
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 09:12:56 PM »

I personally like this song. It all depends on how you look at it.  When I was down, this song seemed very emotional and I felt so sad with the uncertain ending.  Now, it seems over the top... But still no reason to hate it.  Melodramatic, absolutely. But still a fine piece IMO.

Mark-pull the first part of the song off comp real P0216643 and back to P0189510 for the chorus. Wait, sorry, it's on the second half of the 'our prayer' reel, P026636, 22 minutes in.  Tracks 2,4 and 5, see?  Wow, this is tiring work...
-Alan Boyd, 2011
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 09:13:29 PM »

I love Bruce, and the only thing satiric about any of this is the people calling this topic satiric. Can we back to discussing Bruce, please? Expect a post about "The Nearest Faraway Place" later.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 09:33:09 PM »

Smiley
always liked that song.. over the top production or not, Sunflower would be lesser without it!  (IMHO)

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 10:42:21 PM »

It's a good song. Kind of sappy for sure. But agree it goes well with the Sunflower album. Fits the mood well.

As for that one line I believe it's "moved out up to Europe." And I believe that "up" line goes with the line afterwards about "packed your warmth" because of the latitudinal differences between Europe and SoCal. Instead of surfing and cars and fun in the sun you have uh. Two World Wars. Oh that's cold.

No mas, por favor.
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 05:08:03 AM »

It's a good song when played as part of Sunflower, like the halfway point, a bit of theatrical light and shade...
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 07:58:57 AM »

This is the only song from Sunflower that I didn't like instantly. Although I've come to appreciate its musical content (especially the complex arrangement), the lyrics are just that little bit schmaltzy enough that I don't like them. Actually I was a bit annoyed to later learn the song that I don't like was recorded the day I was born. Roll Eyes

The wordless coda is the best part of it.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 08:21:11 AM »

I can listen to the song about Bruce bathing with his daughter no problem though. go figure

"Deirdre" is about Bruce's daughter?

I thought it was about his Irish Setter.   Shocked

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 10:11:38 AM »

Fantastic song, I think it is one of the best Beach Boys that was written by Al, Bruce or Mike (even higher if just between Al and Bruce)

Not to derail, but talking about Bruce, I think that Disney Girls is one of the Beach Boys most successful songs outside of the 60's, think within a few years of it being released it had gotten 2 covers by major recording artists, which not being amazing ,I think is 2 more than 99% of most of their other tracks from the later period?
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 11:58:20 AM »

It's a good song when played as part of Sunflower, like the halfway point, a bit of theatrical light and shade...
For sap, "Forever" beats out "Tears" any day of the week, and it is not as musically interesting. People give Dennis a pass on his mushy, sappy music, but since Bruce is a square and not a Wilson, he gets blasted.

I love Tears in the Morning. It is a bit over-the-top and I can see why people may not like it... but what is with people thinking the original post is sarcastic/satiric? Are we that anti-Bruce here on SS? He is actually a very good, if not prolific, songwriter.

Someone upthread said that perhaps if Brian wrote TITM, people would like it more. I think if Brian or someone else had sung it, these people would like the song better  - Bruce's vocal is very emotional, which adds to the drama, although I happen to love his voice on this tune.

For God's sake, you're listening to a band with very little quality control post-1976. These people put "Hey Little Tomboy" as track number three on MIU Album. Whilst "Tears in the Morning" may be a bit sappy, it destroys a lot of other Beach Boys songs.

- B00ts
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 12:22:23 PM »

To be fair, I like to use colorful language to make my posts a little more fun. That said, I really do like the song.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2011, 12:50:29 PM »

I love Bruce, and the only thing satiric about any of this is the people calling this topic satiric. 

Oh dear.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2011, 01:51:23 PM »

I'd have Tears in the Morning too if I had willingly chosen to compose or listen to this ever again... Cry
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2011, 02:03:21 PM »

It's "moved OUT up to Europe", not "moved down up to Europe".
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2011, 04:03:26 PM »

"The Nearest Faraway Place"

Now this is an instrumental, folks. As the Beach Boys commercial fortunes were reaching their all-time low, and Brian Wilson was retreating from the band, Bruce wrote this little ode to a dreamy, magical getaway, where pain and misfortune have ceased to be. I actually like to imagine that "The Nearest Faraway Place" was Bruce's response to "Let's Go Away For Awhile". Certainly, such musical paradises had to seem appealing at the time - what, with Dennis Wilson recording himself f*cking in the studio and playing it over the endings of songs! The band was in turmoil.

Bruce was probably the only one in the group at the time, sans Brian, who really appreciated the artistry of Pet Sounds. The rest of the group was too caught up in their public image. Remember, it was Bruce who stuck around to help Brian get the tag to "God Only Knows" right. Carl bailed. "The Nearest Faraway Place" sounds like a Pet Sounds track that married Ennio Morricone, and then had a one-night stand with Tchaikovsky. Oh, and it happens to be a fan of jazz.

This is probably the most classically influenced song Bruce did. The chords are quite adventurous, with some of the sustained and sixth chords recalling Brian at his best. The arrangement is lush and very apropos, with the Rhodes piano mixing perfectly with the vibes to give off a shimmering sound. The relaxed strings, ringing guitar strumming, and harp flourishes complete the astral atmosphere. And the melodies themselves are also relaxing too, never straining too high, or staying too stagnant. They move along peacefully, like dappled summer sunlight on a quiet stream.

Whereas Bruce's songs on a underlying sense of melancholia and longing, this song is almost pure in its escapist bliss. I imagine Bruce taking a single hit off a joint - coughing profusely - and then sipping pink champagne as he stares out into a lake. That's Bruce going as far out as he knows how. Brian would mine this same sound for Imagination. But with Brian, it came off as artificial and forced. For all his brilliance, Brian could never conjure up something this relaxed. With Brian, there's always something else lurking in the background, whether it be sadness, ecstatic joy, lunacy, or some other wilder emotion.

That's Bruce's gift, and his curse. He's a genius too, but he never had that manic streak great artists do. Still, he was one hell of a composer, wasn't he?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 04:05:20 PM by Dada » Logged
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2011, 04:09:11 PM »

"The Nearest Faraway Place"

Now this is an instrumental, folks. As the Beach Boys commercial fortunes were reaching their all-time low, and Brian Wilson was retreating from the band, Bruce wrote this little ode to a dreamy, magical getaway, where pain and misfortune have ceased to be. I actually like to imagine that "The Nearest Faraway Place" was Bruce's response to "Let's Go Away For Awhile". Certainly, such musical paradises had to seem appealing at the time - what, with Dennis Wilson recording himself f*cking in the studio and playing it over the endings of songs! The band was in turmoil.

Bruce was probably the only one in the group at the time, sans Brian, who really appreciated the artistry of Pet Sounds. The rest of the group was too caught up in their public image. Remember, it was Bruce who stuck around to help Brian get the tag to "God Only Knows" right. Carl bailed. "The Nearest Faraway Place" sounds like a Pet Sounds track that married Ennio Morricone, and then had a one-night stand with Tchaikovsky. Oh, and it happens to be a fan of jazz.

This is probably the most classically influenced song Bruce did. The chords are quite adventurous, with some of the sustained and sixth chords recalling Brian at his best. The arrangement is lush and very apropos, with the Rhodes piano mixing perfectly with the vibes to give off a shimmering sound. The relaxed strings, ringing guitar strumming, and harp flourishes complete the astral atmosphere. And the melodies themselves are also relaxing too, never straining too high, or staying too stagnant. They move along peacefully, like dappled summer sunlight on a quiet stream.

Whereas Bruce's songs on a underlying sense of melancholia and longing, this song is almost pure in its escapist bliss. I imagine Bruce taking a single hit off a joint - coughing profusely - and then sipping pink champagne as he stares out into a lake. That's Bruce going as far out as he knows how. Brian would mine this same sound for Imagination. But with Brian, it came off as artificial and forced. For all his brilliance, Brian could never conjure up something this relaxed. With Brian, there's always something else lurking in the background, whether it be sadness, ecstatic joy, lunacy, or some other wilder emotion.

That's Bruce's gift, and his curse. He's a genius too, but he never had that manic streak great artists do. Still, he was one hell of a composer, wasn't he?

Indeed he was. Your post inspired me to listen to "The Nearest Faraway Place" again, and I am enjoying the hell out of it. For some reason, I never compared "The Nearest Faraway Place" to "Let's Go Away For Awhile," but the comparison is perfectly apt. Thanks Dada, great post.

- B00ts
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2011, 08:35:13 PM »

If I thought more than a tiny fraction of the posters on this board agreed with the above two posts, I would never come here again.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx