gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:37:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: anyone see BW in late 70s?  (Read 9605 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2006, 08:29:45 PM »

[PSML] Karen Lamm Wilson 1952-2001

To: PSML <petsounds@landlocked.iwaynet.net>
Reply-To: petsounds@landlocked.iwaynet.net
Date: Jul 12 2001 - 4:09pm

Jon Stebbins has reported on the Blue Board that Karen Lamm Wilson (Dennis'
3rd & 4th wife) died on Tuesday night. She was 49 and had been suffering
from what he describes as 'multiple ailments' for some years.

Andrew

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2006, 05:44:47 AM »

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2006, 07:56:44 AM »

anyone got a picture of that keyboard shot? ow ow.....  Pirate

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2006, 08:46:05 AM »

Karen had some internal bleeding problems due to past lifestyle choices, she also had crushed vertebrae, and was taking lots of competing medications including steroids for the bad back...her heart gave out while she was cooking in her kitchen. Many people point out she was not a "nice" person during her prime, I suppose that's true...she wouldn't deny it. But the Karen I knew in '98 - '2000 was truly supportive of my DW project. She was candid, real, tragic, slightly crazy(she'd laugh at that one)...she was a HUGE advocate for the three Wilson brothers...and a very good friend. I'll always owe her for the generosity she showed me. I miss her.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2006, 02:01:32 PM »

I've told this story before, but when I saw the band on Oct. 27th, 1978 in Ann Arbor, MI, Brian was playing bass and singing for the first four and a half songs. That fifth song was "Back Home" and in the middle of the second verse, Brian abruptly stopped singing, set his bass down, pointed to his ear and left the stage. Mike quickly stepped up to the mic and completed the lead vocal. After the song was completed, Mike told the audience that Brian had a hangover from drinking too much the night before and encouraged the crowd to "boo Brian". The crowd did half-heartedly and the show continued. Brian didn't return to the stage that night.

Now it occurs to me that Mike may have been anticipating a bad crowd reaction (based on the post about the earlier show where the crowd booed Brian leaving the stage) which motivated him to encourage the crowd to boo. Regardless, I thought and still think this was unnecessary of Mike.

By the way, no songs from "Love You" were performed, but "Lady Lynda" was along with the cover of "Peggy Sue" which appeared on "MIU". "Almost Summer", "Cruisin'" and "Country Pie" were the other rarieties performed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2006, 07:20:55 PM »

This might not mean anything, but which ear did he point at? Was it his bad ear?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2006, 09:33:58 PM »

What made Karen Lamm not a "nice" person in her prime?

Glenn
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2006, 09:08:01 AM »

This might not mean anything, but which ear did he point at? Was it his bad ear?

I can't recall if it was. I do remember thinking that Brian was telling the band that the concert volume was hurting his ear which is why he left the stage. Of course, this would have been just another excuse, but one I felt Mike should have used when he addressed the crowd to gain a little sympathy for Brian instead of claiming he was hung over.

I thought about it again when I saw Brian's first show of his first solo tour in '99 (Ann Arbor's Michigan Theatre); the volume was significantly louder than when the Beach Boys performed, but Brian seemed unfazed. It also felt good to see Brian complete a great vocal on "Back Home" that night knowing that the last time he attempted to sing that song in Ann Arbor he bolted.

Has Brian ever complained publicly about his ear hurting during his solo tours over the last 7 years?
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2006, 08:57:30 AM »

Not publicly that I know of. But backstage at BB King's during the Pet Sounds tour, after the first set he was walking around with his manager... and he was holding one ear saying "Testing...testing 1, 2!"  He counted all the way to 11.   I asked Darian what was up, being only 16 at the time, I thought he was just acting weird.. but he said his ear was bothering him pretty bad that night.  Regardless, I managed to say Hi to Brian.. and he responded with an enthusiastic "hello!"  He also went on to perform a great 2nd set.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2006, 09:50:51 AM »

Thanks for that anecdote! I imagine the loud concert volume would bother Brian from time to time, but he has remained quite a trooper. I know there were times when he was quite sick (hospitalized with the flu just before the summer 2000 leg of the "Pet Sounds" tour) where he would still go out there and do full two hour shows. An interesting contrast to his noncomittal behaviour of the late 70s and also a comment on his willingness to tour this century.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2006, 03:28:11 AM »

Agreed. Also, on the SMiLE-tour in 2004 he hurt his back, because he missed a step on the tour-bus. You could see the pain on his face from time to time, but he delivered a fantastic performance. I think the band even made some jokes about "Brian's Back"  Grin

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx