gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 02:12:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Icon Fetch Interview with Mark & Alan  (Read 7840 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2011, 11:11:03 AM »

http://www.iconfetch.com/great-music-interviews/2011-shows/440-mark-linett-a-alan-boyd-smile-followup.html

Bah, good interview, but it hates my computer. Does anyone elses stop when they start playing Cabinessence?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 11:17:30 AM »

I feel like I ran into this problem before. Come to think of it, I don't think I even heard the last half of the 2nd part of the interview before it came out :O

I want to say downloading it at least got me the entire thing, so maybe try that?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
RadBooley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 11:25:07 AM »

Thanks for the link, been looking forward to this. So far it seems to be working well. About 50% through it sans any problems.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 11:27:08 AM »

I refreshed and it kicked into life. It's a nice interview!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 11:34:17 AM »

Is it just me or do you get the impression that a lot of the questions that hardcore fans obsess over just seem rather bizarre to them?  I don't imagine that some of the purists will be satisfied with their response regarding vintage Brian edits...
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 11:36:30 AM »

Is it just me or do you get the impression that a lot of the questions that hardcore fans obsess over just seem rather bizarre to them?  I don't imagine that some of the purists will be satisfied with their response regarding vintage Brian edits...

The tone/laughing before the responses seemed less "What a weird question!" and more a slight touch of "Oh, this again." But nicely said, not implying they were being assholes with their responses or anything. I think any one of us would react similarly if you had a bunch of n00bs criticizing the set for not having a song that can't be real stereo in stereo on it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 11:44:21 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 12:51:57 PM »

Is it just me or do you get the impression that a lot of the questions that hardcore fans obsess over just seem rather bizarre to them?  I don't imagine that some of the purists will be satisfied with their response regarding vintage Brian edits...

The tone/laughing before the responses seemed less "What a weird question!" and more a slight touch of "Oh, this again." But nicely said, not implying they were being assholes with their responses or anything. I think any one of us would react similarly if you had a bunch of n00bs criticizing the set for not having a song that can't be real stereo in stereo on it.

It's actually pretty amazing that they are even making themselves available to answer critiques of their work.  Think about it, how many producers would go through the time and effort to sit down and do something like this?  It's obvious that these guys do care what their audience thinks as far as their handling of the Beach Boys catalog goes.  As I've mentioned a few times I think they also realize that the SMiLE fanatics are going to rearrange their work to suit their own personal preferences and that was obviously something they were aware of in the preparation of TSS so that in enough of itself is pretty cool.

Also the fact that they are aware that there is a legitimate audience that is willing to pay out for these kinds of releases renews hope that there will be further releases along the same line in the future.  Trust me when I say this, there are bands (and those with whom they associate with) that are light years away from where Linett, Boyd & The Beach Boys are.  We are very lucky indeed.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 01:00:53 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 01:02:43 PM »

I agree, it is BEYOND AMAZING that these guys are willing to publically answer to these hardcore fan questions. We are so fortunate that we had such dedicated people working on the set.
Barnshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 01:31:19 PM »

Well, it's nice to hear that Mark reads the Smiley Smile board (Barnyard Mistake thread...)  LOL
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 01:31:53 PM »

....and still agreed to answer fan mail. Smiley

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 01:40:48 PM »

Both Mark and Alan are members of the board and once posted extensively.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 01:56:58 PM »

I'm so glad they described the sequence of the original rough mix of "The Child Is Father Of The Man" -  that was the one thing I thought would show up on the set for sure and was a bit disappointed it wasn't there. Now I can imagine it...or recreate it if I choose.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 02:21:02 PM »

Both Mark and Alan are members of the board and once posted extensively.

And don't forget that they are both as hardcore fans as you can get.  Their core is likely harder than most of ours combined.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 04:29:51 PM »

Although he didn't mention BeachBoysCentral.com by name, I think he pretty much squashed the idea in this interview.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 05:26:02 PM »

Although he didn't mention BeachBoysCentral.com by name, I think he pretty much squashed the idea in this interview.

For now anyhow.  There just isn't enough monetary incentive right now for the music industry to move in that direction.  As Linett mentioned it would be quite an expensive undertaking to put the entire catalog online available to download by fans.  Add to that getting everyone to sign off on such a project as well as any and all legal ramifications involved and you can understand what a process that would be.

That being said more and more artists are coming to the realization that this is where music is going.  What started with bands like DMB and Counting Crows has now expanded well beyond those shores and with the emergence of itunes and online distribution of music moving to the forefront as far as distribution goes, how long can it be until groups like The Beach Boys are motivated to making archival tracks available to download by their fans?  The fact that Linett and Boyd are plugged in enough to realize that there is a demand for this type of outlet is a huge step in hopefully one day making it come to fruition.  

The music industry at large just isn't there yet which strangely in a way echoes some of the frustrations Brian Wilson himself must have felt back in the sixties when he was trying to push his own rock up a very steep hill.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 05:26:55 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 05:46:15 PM »

Is it just me or did they not really answer too many of the questions?  What was the sequence of the average version of Child they took the chorus with the extra vocals from?  It wasn't' what was used on cd1, that was based on  BWPS. 
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 05:48:01 PM »

For now anyhow.  There just isn't enough monetary incentive right now for the music industry to move in that direction.  As Linett mentioned it would be quite an expensive undertaking to put the entire catalog online available to download by fans.  Add to that getting everyone to sign off on such a project as well as any and all legal ramifications involved and you can understand what a process that would be.

That being said more and more artists are coming to the realization that this is where music is going.  What started with bands like DMB and Counting Crows has now expanded well beyond those shores and with the emergence of itunes and online distribution of music moving to the forefront as far as distribution goes, how long can it be until groups like The Beach Boys are motivated to making archival tracks available to download by their fans?  The fact that Linett and Boyd are plugged in enough to realize that there is a demand for this type of outlet is a huge step in hopefully one day making it come to fruition.  

The music industry at large just isn't there yet which strangely in a way echoes some of the frustrations Brian Wilson himself must have felt back in the sixties when he was trying to push his own rock up a very steep hill.

Esactly!  (though I wasn't sure if it was Mark or Alan who made that statement).

What was exciting, amongst everything else, is the tease about more releases coming from the archives (with Wild Honey (stereo) mentioned in the tease).

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 05:53:40 PM »

I thought it was really heartening Brian didn't veto anything. Although curious what he changed (not erased, which is a strange distinction), but I'm glad he saw it all fit to release.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 06:27:36 PM »

For now anyhow.  There just isn't enough monetary incentive right now for the music industry to move in that direction.  As Linett mentioned it would be quite an expensive undertaking to put the entire catalog online available to download by fans.

How? The source material is already there. We know the material is or has been transferred to digital and even that new mixes of some of it are being prepared just for the sake of being archived. What kind of money are we talking about here sans a server to host this stuff?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 07:17:21 PM »

The Rolling Stones just recently made their famous Brussels concert available on Google's music site, with plans for more archival material in the pipeline.  The delivery models are still in development, but it's coming as old fashioned physical media declines.  Alan and Mark didn't seem too hot on the idea--it was actually my question there, but I bet it's not the first time they've gotten it.  I imagine they could find a way to make additional archival material available via iTunes, Amazon or some other site if they felt the interest was strong enough.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 07:21:57 PM »

For now anyhow.  There just isn't enough monetary incentive right now for the music industry to move in that direction.  As Linett mentioned it would be quite an expensive undertaking to put the entire catalog online available to download by fans.

How? The source material is already there. We know the material is or has been transferred to digital and even that new mixes of some of it are being prepared just for the sake of being archived. What kind of money are we talking about here sans a server to host this stuff?

I think the point is, there's not enough money to be made on stuff like this to interest a major record label -- or even a band like the BBs -- in making it available. Any expense in putting it up is too much if you don't have guaranteed sales.  The whole back catalog is already in iTunes as it is.

I imagine they could find a way to make additional archival material available via iTunes, Amazon or some other site if they felt the interest was strong enough.

Well, the question was also put to them in the context of high-res downloads. And those are definitely still an emerging segment of the online marketplace.
Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 07:35:07 PM »

I think the point is, there's not enough money to be made on stuff like this to interest a major record label -- or even a band like the BBs -- in making it available. Any expense in putting it up is too much if you don't have guaranteed sales.  The whole back catalog is already in iTunes as it is.
Well, it isn't going to happen overnight (though I was caught off guard by the speed of that Stones announcement--boom, it was just available on Friday morning).  Think about all of the other rare/unreleased Beach Boys tracks that fans have sought over the years.  There may not be enough demand to merit a fancy physical release like Smile, but in the wake of that, there may be more fresh interest than before and the interwebs might be a more efficient outlet. 

Wishful thinking?  Probably, but a guy can dream. . .   Smokin
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 07:52:05 PM »

MOVE ALONG, NOTHING TO SEA HEAR
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 11:40:28 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
tunestony
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 10:16:55 PM »

http://www.iconfetch.com/great-music-interviews/2011-shows/440-mark-linett-a-alan-boyd-smile-followup.html

Bah, good interview, but it hates my computer. Does anyone elses stop when they start playing Cabinessence?

Hey - Tony from Icon Fetch here.  For those having problems with the audio player, it's apparently a Flash problem.  If you update to the latest version, it should remedy the situation.  Shutting down and restarting your browser solves it too.

Part 2 will be posted in a week.

Enjoy.

Tony
Icon Fetch
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 10:28:54 PM »

Great stuff!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print