gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:25:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Geronimo Leaps and Bounds For Glory Over The Dust Bowl?  (Read 3629 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2011, 07:44:10 PM »

Are These The Original Lyrics To "Love To Say Dada?" If So, How Come It's Not Present on The Smile Sessions?
This Clip Confuses Me :/ Even Though It's My Favorite Part Of The Movie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMasg7wRfnk&feature=related
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 07:58:44 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 07:58:23 PM »

Are These The Original Lyrics To "Love To Say Dada?" If So, How Come It's Not Present on The Smile Sessions?
This Clip Confuses Me :/ Even Tho It's My Favorite Part Of The Movie.

Made for TV "faux" lyrics
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 08:00:24 PM »

This Clip Confuses Me :/ Even Tho It's My Favorite Part Of The Movie.

Made for TV "faux" lyrics
Smh :/ I Was Hoping They Were..The Lyrics Are So Bizarre. I Could Imagine Van Dyke Writing Them,
It Actually Sounds Amusing. lol
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 08:01:15 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 08:43:01 PM »

That's really funny...I remember reading VDP's reaction to that miniseries at the time, where he expressed that it was entirely Mike's version of events, with Mike as the hero.  And if that's true, then we can see that there was a time in the pretty recent past when Mike didn't mind being cast as the Man Who Killed Smile, his recent vehement protestations to the contrary notwithstanding.  Mike slaps Van Dyke's lyrics down, and the next scene is Brian literally burning the album!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 08:46:05 PM »

Written by Alan Boyd - his faux Smile track was quite fantastic and authentic-sounding, although the film definitely suffered for it's lack of actual Smile tracks.  That's a whole other thread though...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 09:53:58 PM »

This Clip Confuses Me :/ Even Though It's My Favorite Part Of The Movie.

Explained in the comments.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 09:54:25 PM »

Written by Alan Boyd - his faux Smile track was quite fantastic and authentic-sounding, although the film definitely suffered for it's lack of actual Smile tracks.  That's a whole other thread though...

Lyric by Alan, track by Gary Griffin.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
RadBooley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 10:18:45 PM »

Does there exist a version of this anywhere sans the chatter/laughter present in the movie?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 11:14:29 PM »

Is it just me, or is this lyric supposed to be a(very weak) parody of the infamous lyric from Cabbin Essence?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 11:23:16 PM »

Is it just me, or is this lyric supposed to be a(very weak) parody of the infamous lyric from Cabbin Essence?
i always thought that as well lol.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 11:23:53 PM »

i like lyrics like that one Smiley..it's very abstract.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 11:50:16 PM »

FARK that movie is a crock of crap.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 11:53:43 PM »

Probably written by Mike Love, it came to him in a TM trance. He pitched it to Brian back in the 60s but it never took. Maybe that's why he's so bitter about the whole smile thing.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 01:11:44 AM »

Probably written by Mike Love, it came to him in a TM trance. He pitched it to Brian back in the 60s but it never took. Maybe that's why he's so bitter about the whole smile thing.

You know, having just watched from the scene posted here to the end (and I haven't seen the whole thing in a while, so I'm basically talking about half a movie), this movie was a lot better and lot more balanced than I expected.  Mike didn't really come off all that great, he lost his temper from time to time, they portrayed him sort of taking the TM thing too far.  And while Brian was definitely played as very mentally ill, Brian was mentally ill, and watching him go on stage at the end and seemlessly become mid-to-late-70s Brian on stage was a reminder that there must have been some very, very difficult moments between him and the rest of the band, much as this movie seemed to depict them.  Also, Murry was well acted. 

So I guess I was a bit impressed.  I mean, far from perfect and all sorts of things that were compressed or left out or misrepresented, but a lot of that just goes with the making a movie out of life territory, and based on the way people talk about it I expected so much worse.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 01:37:31 AM »

You know, having just watched from the scene posted here to the end (and I haven't seen the whole thing in a while, so I'm basically talking about half a movie), this movie was a lot better and lot more balanced than I expected.  Mike didn't really come off all that great, he lost his temper from time to time, they portrayed him sort of taking the TM thing too far.  And while Brian was definitely played as very mentally ill, Brian was mentally ill, and watching him go on stage at the end and seemlessly become mid-to-late-70s Brian on stage was a reminder that there must have been some very, very difficult moments between him and the rest of the band, much as this movie seemed to depict them...

I don't think Brian was that kind of mentally ill though.

“We live in divisive times.”
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 01:44:22 AM »

That was a caricature of all The Beach Boys. A parody of all the stories we have heard.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 04:59:56 AM »

Really?  I'm relieved that they didn't allow actual SMiLE music to be used in this sad farce.  Watching that clip makes me cringe at the possibility of any future Beach Boys related bio movies.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 05:14:04 AM »

Really?  I'm relieved that they didn't allow actual SMiLE music to be used in this sad farce.  Watching that clip makes me cringe at the possibility of any future Beach Boys related bio movies.
I actually hope they show make beach boy movies. :] One that'll show more of dennis's life and brian's struggles and mike's hatred would be just awesome. Especially if they showed a part where they Were in the stages of creating "smiley smile & wild honey".
Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 05:36:05 AM »

I actually hope they show make beach boy movies. :] One that'll show more of dennis's life and brian's struggles and mike's hatred would be just awesome. Especially if they showed a part where they Were in the stages of creating "smiley smile & wild honey".
I don't know.  These kinds of movies almost always distort reality in order to tell their story, presenting more of a two dimensional caricature, IMO.  I'd generally prefer to see a documentary or a fictional film that was only loosely based on reality.  I rather enjoyed the film 'Grace Of My Heart', which was mainly a take on the life of Carol King, though it threw in a bit of the Brian Wilson story (including SMiLE) as well.  This was not even trying to be historically accurate, so they were able to get at the nub of the bigger myth.  Another example of a film that creatively told a non-literal story about a musician's life was 'I'm Not There', which presents different takes on the Bob Dylan story with a wide range of different actors. 
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 05:43:45 AM »

I don't know.  These kinds of movies almost always distort reality in order to tell their story, presenting more of a two dimensional caricature, IMO.  I'd generally prefer to see a documentary or a fictional film that was only loosely based on reality.  I rather enjoyed the film 'Grace Of My Heart', which was mainly a take on the life of Carol King, though it threw in a bit of the Brian Wilson story (including SMiLE) as well.  This was not even trying to be historically accurate, so they were able to get at the nub of the bigger myth.  Another example of a film that creatively told a non-literal story about a musician's life was 'I'm Not There', which presents different takes on the Bob Dylan story with a wide range of different actors. 
You wouldnt wanna see an reenactment of the beach boys creating "smiley smile","wild honey", "friends"?
Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 05:50:27 AM »

You wouldnt wanna see an reenactment of the beach boys creating "smiley smile","wild honey", "friends"?
I would love to see a well done documentary on the subject.   I just think it would be very challenging to tell the Brian Wilson story in an honest, well rounded manner, particularly that thorny phase of his life as he headed towards an apparent breakdown in the late 60's.  With the right actor and director, and the right script, I guess it would be possible, but I can't think of too many rock bio films that didn't do a disservice to their subjects.  These kinds of films almost always focus more on the psychodrama (often in a sensationalist manner) than they do on the music making anyway. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 06:19:02 AM by Tristero » Logged
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 08:08:19 AM »

Does there exist a version of this anywhere sans the chatter/laughter present in the movie?

Some time ago, someone did try to filter/OOPS out the background noises...and before anybody pushes me for any info, I HEARD it, but I don't remember if I actually saved it. Totally useless to me, anyway. (In other words, THIS IS NOT A MASKED REQUEST FOR THE GERONIMO SONG, NOR IS IT A REQUEST OF ANY KIND. Smiley  )

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »

I would love to see a well done documentary on the subject.   I just think it would be very challenging to tell the Brian Wilson story in an honest, well rounded manner, particularly that thorny phase of his life as he headed towards an apparent breakdown in the late 60's.  With the right actor and director, and the right script, I guess it would be possible, but I can't think of too many rock bio films that didn't do a disservice to their subjects.  These kinds of films almost always focus more on the psychodrama (often in a sensationalist manner) than they do on the music making anyway. 

They already made a movie with a Brian breadown scene that I don't think will be topped anytime soon...Walk Hard, anyone?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 01:05:24 PM »

I think the most reductive moment in this scene is when "Nik Venet" bemoans "Everyone is expecting a 'teenage symphony'...and they're out there recording noise." At last, the release of THE SMiLE SESSIONS proves this scripted statement to be completely inaccurate.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 09:20:59 AM »

A very interesting issue has been raised here on the subject of myth-busting - how sure are we that the American Family bio was spearheaded by Mike given the fact that the film seems to purport that Mike refused to sing Smile lyrics...(which everyone now acknowledges to be untrue) ?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx