gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681489 Posts in 27638 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 08, 2024, 11:46:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Central  (Read 4326 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2011, 05:11:18 PM »

It was a good idea.  Frustrating that it couldn't get done.

Now the Stones have done it:

http://stonesarchive.com/

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 07:34:33 PM »

I really wish they would do something like this.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 07:47:45 AM »

And it's still "coming soon".
The Stones have the rights of their post 1971 material.
Now, they have a contract with Universal, but they're doing it. Great for them!
Beach Boys released a great ammount for their vaults with this Smile Sessions.
Hopefully they'll release more next year. The Capitol press release and Al's interview stated: Smile Sessions is a beginning of their 50th anniversary projects.
It'll be great if they launch this site one day, they're still paying for the domain (still online). 
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 12:57:48 PM »

Good for the Stones!

$7 for a nicely cleaned up and shiny sounding boot (I have an old vinyl boot of that same show and it sounds like hell) when they could have put out an expensive CD issue: not bad at all!
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 02:59:04 PM »

I wonder if the Beach Boys Central will still happen. Launching it as part of the 50th anniversary perhaps?
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 03:21:45 PM »

Yeah that stones release is a total winner as it was one of my favourite boots. Agreed it would be great to see bb central up and running. It wouldn't surprise me if other artists now follow suit, beach boys included.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 03:51:59 PM »

The Stones are the only long time band doing this.  King Crimson / Robert Fripp have opened their vaults for the last 12 years first with a Collectors Club of archival CD releases, and then a few years ago, they wisely started doing downloads.  Now you can get countless board tapes, multitracks, sessions, radio broadcasts, audience tapes, studio stuff, you name it.  Every day it seems they come out with more stuff.  Downloads are FLAC or MP3 and they often offer a free track to listen to.

Check it out here.
http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?&name=crimson

I think many more artists/bands are going to start doing this.  It's a much better way to make money vs. the old CD route and they completely eliminate packaging, shipping, and other related costs.  You can also get away with releasing ANYTHING online whereas it might be strange to print up 3,000 CDs of a bunch of sessions that only a few hundred might buy.  Plus there's no inventory to worry about.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 04:42:15 PM »

The Stones are the only long time band doing this.  King Crimson / Robert Fripp have opened their vaults for the last 12 years first with a Collectors Club of archival CD releases, and then a few years ago, they wisely started doing downloads.  Now you can get countless board tapes, multitracks, sessions, radio broadcasts, audience tapes, studio stuff, you name it.  Every day it seems they come out with more stuff.  Downloads are FLAC or MP3 and they often offer a free track to listen to.

Check it out here.
http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?&name=crimson

I think many more artists/bands are going to start doing this.  It's a much better way to make money vs. the old CD route and they completely eliminate packaging, shipping, and other related costs.  You can also get away with releasing ANYTHING online whereas it might be strange to print up 3,000 CDs of a bunch of sessions that only a few hundred might buy.  Plus there's no inventory to worry about.

Hendrix too

http://www.myplaydirect.com/jimi-hendrix

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 05:08:05 PM »

Nothing beats this:

http://www.archive.org/details/GratefulDead
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 05:13:14 PM »

Honestly the band that should really consider doing this is The Beatles.  Paul McCartney recently put up an archive of sorts but according to the Sulpy boards it's not going to be for the public's consumption. 

Seriously though if The Beatles ever made their entire archives available for download they'd make a killing.  Something to consider though, in these politically correct times there would be certain studio banter and outtakes encompassing all bands that would be better off under lock and key.  So any band attempting to set up an archival site of any type of magnitude would probably have to go through their archives with a fine toothed comb eliminating any potential buzz/taboo words or phrases that they wouldn't want out there.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 08:03:24 PM »

Another band who made this: Red Hot Chilli Peppers started selling their 2011 shows, properly mixed
http://www.livechilipeppers.com/
Jason
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 08:12:55 PM »

Honestly the band that should really consider doing this is The Beatles.  Paul McCartney recently put up an archive of sorts but according to the Sulpy boards it's not going to be for the public's consumption. 

Seriously though if The Beatles ever made their entire archives available for download they'd make a killing.  Something to consider though, in these politically correct times there would be certain studio banter and outtakes encompassing all bands that would be better off under lock and key.  So any band attempting to set up an archival site of any type of magnitude would probably have to go through their archives with a fine toothed comb eliminating any potential buzz/taboo words or phrases that they wouldn't want out there.

Take 1 of Elvis Presley's version of US Male comes to mind as something that would never be released except on bootlegs. It breaks down after about a minute and a half and the band immediately jumps into a somewhat politically-incorrect version of The Prisoner's Song.

"I'd fly to the top of a mountain, yes I would
and cornhole the man in the moon
I have the wings of an angel
and the balls of a big hairy coon"
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 12:40:20 PM »

Take 1 of Elvis Presley's version of US Male comes to mind as something that would never be released except on bootlegs. It breaks down after about a minute and a half and the band immediately jumps into a somewhat politically-incorrect version of The Prisoner's Song.

"I'd fly to the top of a mountain, yes I would
and cornhole the man in the moon
I have the wings of an angel
and the balls of a big hairy coon"

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9AxmSn6slc

Wasn't it released on a FTD album ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 02:33:09 PM »

It would be nice if they did this for the Beatles, but one of the great things about that band was that they generally knew when a given take was a winner and released most of their best material on albums/singles at the time.  I know that there are still some missing gems circulating among the faithful, particularly from the White Album/Let It Be phase, but I don't think there's that much essential material left (The Anthology series covered a lot of that stuff, though they made some questionable decisions there...). 

Obviously, bands like the Beach Boys and the Rolling Stones have a lot more great unreleased material, so releasing it online like this makes a lot of sense.  I hope that the Beach Boys run with this concept.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 08:11:39 AM »

It would be nice if they did this for the Beatles, but one of the great things about that band was that they generally knew when a given take was a winner and released most of their best material on albums/singles at the time.  I know that there are still some missing gems circulating among the faithful, particularly from the White Album/Let It Be phase, but I don't think there's that much essential material left (The Anthology series covered a lot of that stuff, though they made some questionable decisions there...). 

Obviously, bands like the Beach Boys and the Rolling Stones have a lot more great unreleased material, so releasing it online like this makes a lot of sense.  I hope that the Beach Boys run with this concept.

I still want to hear Carnival of Light one of these days. Ooo, and a proper Kinfauns/White Album sessions boxset would be cool, too.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx