gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 01:32:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sacramento & Fred Vail  (Read 1163 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2011, 04:38:53 AM »

Fred, quoted at Big0:

BEACH BOYS LIVE IN SACRAMENTO 1964

It was my idea to record the 'live' album in Sacramento... and, believe it or not, Brian and Murry were not easily sold on the idea.

We had been enormously successful in Northern Cal, having done two previous concerts at the now famous Sacramento Memorial Auditorium - one on May 24, another on Sept 14. We had done an additional 'dance and show' 50 miles northeast in Marysville/Yuba City on the night of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. There were additional shows in San Francisco and the Russian River (north of SF).

When I realized there was some reluctance to record a live album (their reaction was 'who would want to buy an album of a concert?') I told them it was two fold: those who had attended a live show would want a souvenir of their experience - and those who had never attended a BB concert would be the first in line when 'the boys' visited their city. They were sold.

We did the first recordings on Dec 21, 1963 to a 'sold out' house. I emceed the concert and I am the voice introducing the 'fabulous Beach Boys.' It was also Carl's 17th birthday. I was with Brian when he wrote "Fun, Fun, Fun" over the following days and was with them when they recorded the classic at Western Recording on Jan 1, 1964. Now you know 'the rest of the story.'

Fred Vail, Pres./CEO
Treasure Isle Recorders, Inc.
Music City, USA-Nashville, TN
Former manager, advance man and marketing manager of The Beach Boys

His comment is followed up by a very informative post from Phil Cohen; best way to find the context is to google a phrase from Fred's posting quoted above, which might lead to treasure.

“We live in divisive times.”
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 04:13:13 PM »

How could  Brian and Mike have written in Brains office as claimed Warmth Of The Sun, if they were playing Marysville/Yuba City ?

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 05:29:07 PM »

I trust Fred's memory here.  Remember Brian also stated that they wrote Fun, Fun, Fun in Australia-when in fact they recorded the song before visiting the country!! (This argument with Mike is in Endless Harmony-Mike recalls correctly it was Salt Lake City)
Blake Alan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 07:54:36 PM »

Bellagio 10452 confirms the boys played Marysville on Nov 22, 1963 and also adds this footnote:

It was after this show that Fred Vail, who was promoting, recalls Brian & Mike sat in a corner of the hotel room writing "The Warmth of The Sun". it was finished by 2am.

Here's the link: http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs63.html
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 07:55:56 PM by Bubblegum » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 08:30:11 PM »

After the gig in Marysville, they stayed the night of November 22, 1963 at the El Dorado Hotel right on Rt. 160 in Sacramento. Sinatra, The Stones, and Lovin' Spoonful also stayed there later. It was replaced by The Radisson Hotel. Brian and Mike worked on Warmth of The Sun that morning and finished it in the early morning hours of the 23rd.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 08:42:23 PM »

Thanks for clearing that up. Did Brian write many songs while touring in the early years ?

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx