gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 10:11:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who tells Brian what to do?  (Read 12206 times)
kissmebaby
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »

Undecided I once asked an insider about Brian playing some of his more obscure stuff that hardcore fans might like.  He does do it to some degree.  But the source said that or implied that the person pulling his strings wouldn't allow it.  I couldn't tell if they meant Melinda or Jeff. I would probably guess the Mrs. I also get that he might like to have a "villain" in his life at all times to deflect things for him and that he might welcome it to some extant (see the manipulation thread below).  But I was just curious as to who the "boss" is these days.
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 10:39:13 PM »

->6:35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpH3RCAkA3s&feature=related

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 10:53:19 PM »

I love how Marilyn appears directly afterwards saying, "Why should he be pushed?"

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 11:01:03 PM »

Yes, you'd never think that in the 12 years since he'd record six more studio albums and win a Grammy.

That bio is a load of sanctimonious claptrap.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 11:05:43 PM »

Yes, you'd never think that in the 12 years since he'd record six more studio albums and win a Grammy.

wait, wat?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 11:42:54 AM »

Is Brian still under some kind of legal conservatorship?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 11:55:37 AM »

LOL

Beat me to it

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 12:04:43 PM »

Brian is no longer under a conservatorship.  It was dropped several years ago, but I don't remember exactly when.  I've read from various sources that Melinda has a lot of control over Brian, but anyone who lives with someone with his deficits would.  It just depends on the situation.  For example, she filed the suit against Joe Thomas years ago and allowed the lawyers to put in some very inflammatory language, so who knows if that was her or her lawyers suggested it.  She had a lot to do with how the album "Getting In Over My Head" turned out (which is badly, if you believe some reviewers), but I don't think she's meddled as much in any other album before or since then. 

I'm sure she's the one who pushes him to tour so much, or maybe more to the point, tour doing Beach Boys' oldies material.  Brian, IMO, has toured too much at times.  If he doesn't have new material to present or if he (or she, or the band) isn't willing to offer the fans different old songs, then I don't see the point.  He's had tours which were not sell-outs or even close to it.  I was at a show in Oakland a few years ago that only drew 700 fans to a theater that held a few thousand.  I don't know what the point is of him touring the same old music and having him visit markets repeatedly to diminishing audiences, other than Melinda seems to like to stick it to Mike Love and wants people to know that Brian represents the Beach Boys just as much or more than Mike's BB touring outfit.  It doesn't do Brian or his band any favors having him do that and it cheapens Brian's market value.  When Brian started doing shows, it was an event. Now it's just like another BB tribute show, and even his ticket sales suffer for it.
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 12:16:59 PM »

I wish he'd play the Los Angeles area more.  Had to drive to Vegas for TLOS, and there were no LA Gershwin shows.
Jason
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 12:18:05 PM »

Say what you will about Brian playing the same old "tired hits" but the best tour he ever did was the 2009 American tour, which was strictly a "tired hits" tour.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 12:45:38 PM »

That bio is a load of sanctimonious claptrap.

You're right. They don't mention what's really important which is that Brian being pushed has worked out very well for us.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 12:53:38 PM »

Does Brian's band all have other gigs/jobs or is being Brian's band their main bread and butter? I can't imagine it working out very well for anyone involved if the tours/shows end up losing money each time out. I know that simply (not that there is anything simple about it) getting out there and playing Brian's music is probably more than worth it, but Brian really has nothing to lose, but I wonder what the situation is for his band.

I really wish, as I've said before, different band members were given leads at his shows! It would really bring out their individual personalities and Brian could take a break and, gasp, even sit the occasional show out if he wanted to. I really see no point in forcing Brian to sing Fun Fun Fun! Mike simply owns that lead but I'm sure someone in Brian's band could make it really crack! I mean, why not even do "Let's Put Our Hearts Together" as a duet with Taylor?? That might sound stupid, but it would be freaking cool!

I'm my twisted mind, I would love it for Brian's band to officially become The Beach Boys and Brian might show up one night, Mike the other, Al another, Mike/Bruce one night, Mike/Bruce/Al another, another night, no original Beach Boys but Brian's band would put on a killer show.... Insanity, perhaps!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 01:55:59 PM »

"........I really wish, as I've said before, different band members were given leads at his shows! It would really bring out their individual personalities and Brian could take a break and, gasp, even sit the occasional show out if he wanted to. I really see no point in forcing Brian to sing Fun Fun Fun! Mike simply owns that lead but I'm sure someone in Brian's band could make it really crack! I mean, why not even do "Let's Put Our Hearts Together" as a duet with Taylor?? That might sound stupid, but it would be freaking cool!.........

I would LOVE to hear that duet.  I've suggested it before.  Would be a knockout of a performance. a great showcase for a Love You song, and a chance for Taylor to shine.   

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 01:58:45 PM »

I say let Taylor do Surf's Up even!

Imagine THAT!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 02:07:01 PM »

Taylor's not with the band anymore, and hasn't been for awhile, apparently.

You're right. They don't mention what's really important which is that Brian being pushed has worked out very well for us.

Not exactly my point. The thing is, that A&E bio had this weird ending where they basically tried -- in 1999 -- to suggest that his life and career was over. The man was 57 years old then! Now, I don't know many guys who would appreciate being told -- at 57 -- that they had better just get out of the way and count their careers and lives as finished.

Ultimately, folks like Marilyn and Ginger have just as much desire to say what Brian should be doing as anyone else. They just flatter themselves into thinking that they have some moral high ground because it involves him doing less work.

Say what you will about Brian playing the same old "tired hits" but the best tour he ever did was the 2009 American tour, which was strictly a "tired hits" tour.

Indeed. But it did have Darian instead of Gary Griffen, which makes more of a difference than some might imagine.

Does Brian's band all have other gigs/jobs or is being Brian's band their main bread and butter? I can't imagine it working out very well for anyone involved if the tours/shows end up losing money each time out. I know that simply (not that there is anything simple about it) getting out there and playing Brian's music is probably more than worth it, but Brian really has nothing to lose, but I wonder what the situation is for his band.

They all have other gigs -- with the possible exception of Jeff. Probyn actually had an office job until a few years ago.

Also, not all of the tours lose money. Ask yourself this: Why does Brian tour so much in the U.K.?

Melinda seems to like to stick it to Mike Love and wants people to know that Brian represents the Beach Boys just as much or more than Mike's BB touring outfit.

A persuasive case except for the fact that it's mostly Brian's BRI vote that allows Mike to continue touring under the Beach Boys name. (Does Brian still get a cut from the touring BB band?)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 02:11:06 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 02:10:48 PM »

Taylor's not with the band anymore, and hasn't been for awhile, apparently.

Not exactly my point. The thing is, that A&E bio had this weird ending where they basically tried -- in 1999 -- to suggest that his life and career was over. The man was 57 years old then! Now, I don't know many guys who would appreciate being told -- at 57 -- that they had better just get out of the way and count their careers and lives as finished.

Ultimately, folks like Marilyn and Ginger have just as much desire to say what Brian should be doing as anyone else. They just flatter themselves into thinking that they have some moral high ground because it involves him doing less work.

Indeed. But it did have Darian instead of Gary Griffen, which makes more of a difference than some might imagine.

They all have other gigs -- with the possible exception of Jeff. Probyn actually had an office job until a few years ago.

Also, not all of the tours lose money. Ask yourself this: Why does Brian tour so much in the U.K.?

Thanks for the updates! Had no idea about Taylor!  Huh

Hell, get Marylin up there then!!!
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 02:26:38 PM »

I would never have predicted in 1999 that Melinda would not only consent to but encourage a Pet Sounds tour and a Smile tour.  She's probably the only person in the world who could have done that. I don't think even a still-alive Carl and Dennis could have done it.

Moreover, Brian still had those scared shitless unable-to-blink eyes in 1999, which he no longer has. I can understand people thinking in 1999 that he was a puppet, cos that's how his eyes come across, but in 2011 there is life behind the eyes that suggests some voluntary participation.

Conversely I've no doubt that, left to himself, he would have stayed at home watching TV for the last 12 years.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 02:31:59 PM »

I would never have predicted in 1999 that Melinda would not only consent to but encourage a Pet Sounds tour and a Smile tour.  She's probably the only person in the world who could have done that. I don't think even a still-alive Carl and Dennis could have done it.

Moreover, Brian still had those scared fecesless unable-to-blink eyes in 1999, which he no longer has. I can understand people thinking in 1999 that he was a puppet, cos that's how his eyes come across, but in 2011 there is life behind the eyes that suggests some voluntary participation.

Conversely I've no doubt that, left to himself, he would have stayed at home watching TV for the last 12 years.

Maybe he ought to be allowed to do just that.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 02:35:19 PM by Erik H » Logged
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 02:48:23 PM »

If not for Melinda's influence, would we have the BB Smile box today? Food for thought.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 02:56:54 PM »

Can she get us a LOVE YOU/ADULT CHILD box too?

And a SIP/S&T two-fer while she's at it?
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 03:09:56 PM »

I think Melinda may have given Brian the most incentive to tour by adopting over 20 dogs and, while I'm sure he loves his kids and his kids love him, I'm not sure about the grand total of five children, either. Or it is six?  I lost count.  I just know the number seemed to increase every time Wendy or Carnie gave birth to another child, which I don't think is a coincidence.  I know, Brian would have done none of what he's done without Melinda.  He also seems happy to have work, a public profile, and seems reasonably happy with his family life (as long as he gets a break from the mob scene at home now and again, especially the large volume of yappy small dogs).  But Melinda is an odd person in her own right.  Perhaps that makes them the perfect couple.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 06:20:07 PM »

I think Brian's scared shitless eyes around 1998 and 1999 is due to Carl's recent death and his sadness over it. Watching the A&E bio really shows how much better off he is today.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 07:10:24 PM »

It's hard for any of us on the outside to judge Brian's situation and the people around him. On the one hand, you can say that he ought to be able to retire whenever he wants to. But to the person who said he should be able to watch TV and do nothing...didn't he do that in the 70s, and look what happened. It may be that a therapist has suggested that Brian ought to be kept busy to stave off symptoms of depression. Does that mean he should be on tours? Maybe not. Maybe he could just tinker in the studio. But he does seem to need some guidance to get through his life. Anyone who takes that role is going to catch criticism, but whether that guidance has actually taken a negative turn is hard to say. But she is a human being, and it can't be easy to be married to Brian. You never know what HE's putting HER through--we only consider the reverse.

As for the 5 kids and 20 dogs, sometimes people "collect" to fill a void. Or maybe she just has a big heart.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 07:57:03 PM »

I have zero say in the matter, but I *do* like the idea of keeping him busy, as I think it does help to keep his "demons" at bay. It's seemingly a bit too much at times, though. The "Brian, your eyes are closed" video posted recently was fairly upsetting to watch. It kinda detracts from the whole, "Brian's a survivor!" thing, and it's extremely discouraging for someone like me who has his own share of mental health issues.

I do think leaving him to rot in front of a TV ala the 70s (as Ms.B. just pointed out) sounds like a bad idea. That sort of thing only allows said demons to fester and grow and get out of control, I say this from personal experience (no, I'm not comparing myself to Mr.Wilson).

The 5 kids and 20 dogs thing is horrifying, in a sense. I'm sure Melinda does have a big heart of sorts, but Brian is nearing 70 and I know she's not especially young herself. You shouldn't be putting children through something like that. People say, "I'm sure they have nannies etc. taking care of them!" but how often are these people involved? Is it healthy to have other people looking after these kids so often? How often is Brian involved? How long until both Brian and Melinda are out of the picture? How likely is it that some of these kids are gonna have no parents to speak of by age 20? 25? I'm 26, I'd be legit rotting in a fucking gutter if I didn't have my parents for the last six years.

I hate to judge, he's not mine to take care of and God knows I probably wouldn't be up to the task, but her adopting kids so late in life... man. Something about it just doesn't sit right with me Sad

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 08:52:33 PM »

It's hard for any of us on the outside to judge Brian's situation and the people around him. On the one hand, you can say that he ought to be able to retire whenever he wants to. But to the person who said he should be able to watch TV and do nothing...didn't he do that in the 70s, and look what happened. It may be that a therapist has suggested that Brian ought to be kept busy to stave off symptoms of depression. Does that mean he should be on tours? Maybe not. Maybe he could just tinker in the studio. But he does seem to need some guidance to get through his life. Anyone who takes that role is going to catch criticism, but whether that guidance has actually taken a negative turn is hard to say. But she is a human being, and it can't be easy to be married to Brian. You never know what HE's putting HER through--we only consider the reverse.

As for the 5 kids and 20 dogs, sometimes people "collect" to fill a void. Or maybe she just has a big heart.

From the guy who said he should be able to sit and watch TV all day long: well, at 69 years of age, if we're to take his PR machine at its word, a somewhat functional/recovered/moving toward recovery/fully functional - recovered (whatever the line is this week) Brian should be able to do what he wants. Brian sat around watching TV in the 70's as a bloated, insane, substance abusing, smoking like a chimney wreck. At this point in his life, even if he wanted to sit around and do exactly the same: if he's mentally capable, let him. There is no need to push him out there in front of audiences in order to support his PR juggernaut or anyone else..... Besides, there are plenty of other ways for a 70 year old to keep himself busy that don't involve sitting in front of a TV all day/night or long tours crowds/planes/pressure etc.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 08:54:11 PM by Erik H » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx