gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:09:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who tells Brian what to do?  (Read 12134 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2011, 08:51:53 PM »

Ultimately, these arguments are about aesthetics. And there is no answer that will satisfy everyone.

Some really hate Jeff Foskett. I think he sounds fine -- better than fine, actually. Some think the band shouldn't try to duplicate the recordings / cover BW's vocal shortcomings. I think what they do is generally respectful of both Brian and the music.

Some hate band members doing leads. But for the six or so years they didn't, boards like this featured tons of posts from people bitching that Brian shouldn't sing lead on every song. Mike and Bruce doesn't sing lead on every tune the touring BBs perform, after all. He should spread the leads around, they said. But once Jeff stepped up to do so, it became a travesty.

Ultimately, this is not -- whatever anyone says -- about what's right or wrong, or good or bad. It's about what we prefer to hear from Brian in a live touring situation. Erik has already said he prefers Brian to be touring with the BBs. So ... yeah.

My perspective is that Brian doesn't do stuff he doesn't want to do. He's not touring with Al Jardine anymore, for instance. He is still touring with Jeff. So that answers some questions for me. Some of us may prefer different outcomes, but that's what we have now.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2011, 09:19:07 PM »

I think I fall somewhere in the middle of all this. I don't have a problem that Jeff is there and that he sings lead, it's just that sometimes, not always, but sometimes, I'll see a clip and he will really bug me to the point of storming onto this board and crying like a baby about it.

But I think what irks is that Jeff has seemed to become BRIAN'S LIVE VOICE and I happen to think that his voice just doesn't cut it for that high honor. Like he's trying to sound too much LIKE Brian and just ends up sounding annoying for that fact. Sure, Al tried to be Brian's live voice but he still sounded like AL and we all knew Al's voice because it was so heavily featured on the BBs recordings. I think maybe other band members should be given leads as well as Jeff (I would never say that Jeff shouldn't get to sing leads) so that maybe there would be a better balance and it wouldn't look like Jeff was a sort of onstage Brian fluffer/nursemaid/stunt double.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 09:23:06 PM by Erik H » Logged
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2011, 11:27:31 PM »

Ultimately, this is not -- whatever anyone says -- about what's right or wrong, or good or bad. It's about what we prefer to hear from Brian in a live touring situation. Erik has already said he prefers Brian to be touring with the BBs. So ... yeah.

My perspective is that Brian doesn't do stuff he doesn't want to do. He's not touring with Al Jardine anymore, for instance. He is still touring with Jeff. So that answers some questions for me. Some of us may prefer different outcomes, but that's what we have now.

I don't assume that Al not touring with Brian anymore had anything to do with what Brian wanted.  It was Al's decision, and he has hinted at some behind the scenes stuff that he won't elaborate on that caused him to leave.  Though Al might have decided to leave ultimately after a certain amount of time, anyways, because he wants to do his own thing.  I saw Brian with Al and they appeared to get along well.  It was actually rather touching to see them performing together.  As I recall, when the Hawthorne Beach Boys monument dedication happened, Al was actually forbidden from speaking to Brian.  I don't know whose idea that was, Brian's management or whoever.  I don't think the Al lawsuit was settled at that point , so maybe they wanted to prevent any communication due to that

Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2011, 02:04:16 AM »

Just my 2 cents but even some of the leads when Mike/Bruce play are handed to others.

Also, hearing Brian and Jeff double "....columnated ruins domino" live at the Smile London gigs was just one huge ear-gasm
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2011, 08:16:02 AM »

I don't assume that Al not touring with Brian anymore had anything to do with what Brian wanted.  It was Al's decision, and he has hinted at some behind the scenes stuff that he won't elaborate on that caused him to leave. 

That was the official line, yes.  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2011, 01:44:15 PM »

I vaguely recall that Al not touring with Brian anymore had at least something to do with money.  They didn't want to pay another salary.  I'm sure it came down to ego and other things and the fact a certain person in Brian's entourage seems to find personalities she can't control to be a threat to her.  Sorry, just tellin' it like it is.  I know a lot of people think Melinda is the best thing to happen to Brian and it could be true, in some ways.  But like all people, she has her sensitivies and ego and all the usual drama.  I'm sure Marilyn had hers, and Brian himself has his.  I don't think Melinda is too fond of anyone from Brian's old world.  I"m convinced that Brian himself was cool with Al, though.  I also think Al may have helped tickets sales.  When I saw Brian with Al at the Paramount in Oakland, it was sold-out house.  The same theater was less than a quarter filled when Brian came back a year and a half later, with a new album to promote (TLOS), too.
SG7
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2011, 02:43:54 PM »

I'm sure it came down to ego and other things and the fact a certain person in Brian's entourage seems to find personalities she can't control to be a threat to her.  

Never truer words spoken  Undecided  Roll Eyes
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2011, 03:07:20 PM »

I'm sure it came down to ego and other things and the fact a certain person in Brian's entourage seems to find personalities she can't control to be a threat to her.

I don't believe this is the case. Not Melinda's ego, at least. Ask yourself this -- why would Melinda, even given known issues -- book an extensive tour featuring Al and then get rid of him mid-jaunt? That's just not good business.

I'm convinced that Brian himself was cool with Al, though.

You must have seen a different show than I did. The tension between the two was -- to say the very least -- thick.

Let's just look at the fact that Al managed to estrange himself from the touring Beach Boys when Carl ran the band (that's why he's on so little of SIP). And he managed to get himself kicked out of Mike's version of the group. Is it really impossible to believe that Brian and company couldn't stand him either?

Just asking.  Grin
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 03:08:12 PM by Wirestone » Logged
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2011, 03:20:04 PM »

I saw the show at Paramount, and if you seek out clips on YouTube, there is one song where there are lyrics that are rather affectionate, and Brian specifically points at Al while singing those lyrics.  It didn't appear he disliked him, put it that way.  I also don't think it would have lasted over the long term, though it was surprising Al didn't finish the tour and I think if he were difficult, it would have prevented him from being hired in the first place.  But you know Melinda had to be the one to get rid of him, because even if Brian had a problem with Al, he would get Melinda to do it and act all innocent about it.  So, it would be hard to tell if it was her idea to get rid of Al, or Brian's idea, or both their idea.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx