gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:30:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which CD do you consider to be the worst of the two?  (Read 2465 times)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2011, 03:36:40 PM »

SIP or GIOMH? I pick SIP...
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 03:40:07 PM »

SIP or GIOMH? I pick SIP...

I haven't heard SIP, and I'll get told off if I pick it.
Ah what the hell

SIP.

I like GIOMH anyway, I like it much more than Imagination.
Jason
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 04:19:12 PM »

Keepin' the Summer Alive.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 04:20:19 PM »

SIP. Worst half an hour of my life.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 04:26:59 PM »

Not even a contest. Which says something sad about the combined creative might of Love and Melcher in 92 -- the two couldn't match an album in which Brian wasn't particularly interested.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 04:50:12 PM »

My Favourite Summer In Paradise Review

You know, the poor condition of the cover is actually better than the music, but precisely. It's really sad to see how bad a great team was good, Brian Wilson, not a part of this fiasco, and it shows. That there's nothing bad about this CD is one of the few redeeming features. Strong melodies, lyrics and songs unlistenable by the young ... Regards, Mike Love, and going to throw away. Covers, but it does not work. This is undoubtedly the large and varied collection of bad CDs. Beach Boys have always been my favorite team, but  ... Trash

Or

As a true fan knows, Beach Boy Mike has always loved antagonists in the group, keeping in mind Wilson's full-back potential ruin, smiling with composed, terrible delight at the Sun / Car / Music.
Young girl, my brother tried to Wilson, do not have any mistakes, this is not a Beach Boys album, it's an album like Mike, and it is just a taste of craps that his mind was very influenced by Brian all the years. . on the other hand, listen, if you sing like an old man on the dating of the two young girls on the beach and part of the Sun, this is a perfect addition to your album
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 05:02:56 PM by Iron Horse-Apples » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 05:19:38 PM »

What on earth is that

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 05:29:48 PM »

Young girl, my brother tried to Wilson, do not have any mistakes, this is not a Beach Boys album, it's an album like Mike, and it is just a taste of craps that his mind was very influenced by Brian all the years. .

"Taste of craps" would make a good name for the new BB album.

Kidding.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 05:39:10 PM »

Can someone please translate that review into English???
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 05:47:50 PM »

oldsurferdude must have written this one:

http://www.epinions.com/review/musc_mu-81279/musc-review-93B-3CF8C936-3A2255E4-prod6
oldsurferdude
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 06:35:43 PM »

Nope-it says too many good things about this biga biga hunka trash.  Razz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 06:41:06 PM »

Here's my fave:

adriandenning.co.uk
album reviews

The Beach Boys

Summer In Paradise 3 ( 1992 )
Hot Fun In The Summertime / Surfin / Summer Of Love / Island Fever / Still Surfin / Slow Summer Dancin / Strange Things Happen / Remember Walking In The Sand / Lahaina Aloha / Under The Boardwalk / Summer In Paradise / Forever

Why the hell did Van Dyke Parks agree to work on this thing??? The fate of The Beach Boys, into the nineties and beyond, as anonymous puppets of Mike Love is sealed. Non Beach Boys that contributed but wind up seemingly permanent members of the band as Mike tours the guys around the US for all eternity include Adrian Baker, who in the early 80s actually briefly replaced Carl Wilson on tour. A guy called Craig Fall, who could be absolutely anybody you bumped into in the street earlier today, plays guitar, mandolin and electronics. The Beach Boys themselves seem to only sing, bar occasional keyboards from Bruce and occasional guitar from Carl. Actor John Stamos is roped in to be 'the new dennis wilson, he has that spirit' - and I forget who or where that quote comes from, but JESUS CHRIST!! You don't remake Dennis Wilson's finest moment with an actor who has no place being on a Beach Boys album. You really don't. The other big no-no here is the hip-hop remake of the groups earliest hit, 'Surfin'. Mike wanted the group to be 'hip', 'with the times', whatever. It's actually not so bad if you imagine it produced by a bunch of session guys, perhaps for a television advert. Mike was advertising both himself and the image of The Beach Boys as 'America's Band'. You ever watched the 'Endless Harmony' DVD? At one point, Mike says, pretending to be kind of cool about it, but not being able to hide either his pride or his ego "and we became 'america's band'", kind of shrugging, and you just think, JESUS! Give it a rest, Mike!

Anyway, this album actually isn't the complete disaster it's nearly always painted out to be. It's close, but 'Summer Of Love', crass lyrics included, at least has a decent hook and decent harmonies. The opening 'Hot Fun In The Summertime' isn't too bad, 'Island Fever' is very catchy and could have been another 'Kokomo' if the wind had been blowing in the right direction, you know? The album gets bogged down in mid-tempo anonymous AOR hell and even the vocals of Carl Wilson can't save the likes of 'Lahaina Aloha'. But, bad as this album truly is, i've heard worse. I've heard worse by bands who released albums in 1992/1993 that sold millions of copies. You can't blame Mike Love for everything, much as certain fans would like to. He tried, you know? Misguided, possibly - but he tried.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 06:58:32 PM »

"NO WILSONS ALLOWED! This is Mike Love, Bruce Johnston and Terry Melcher pretending to be the Beach Boys and ripping out the most dreadful entry in their catalog. Melcher's fake mid-80s synthesized everything is back in superforce - A YEAR AFTER NEVERMIND CAME OUT - and the songwriting is beyond absurd. Lots of rancid nasal vocals with heavy delay/undersuck/bassy effects on them, plus "hilarious" low bass voices saying "off-the- cuff" things like "It's a LOVE thing" and "That's where the girls are" like the kids will likely dig, we hope (at least the 5-year-olds). And every other song is QULEARLY an attempt to remake "Kokomo." Same production style, same mellow verses and faux-surf choruses. Just BAD BAD melodies and STUPID STUPID lyrical matter. A woman with magical powers! Two adulterers meeting on an island and FUCKING, followed by the stirring pronouncement, "It wasn't wrong, it wasn't right, they were just two ships passing in the night." Whatever, Mike. Sounds like self-justification to me. Next time, how about a song about how it's okay to beat your wife if she deserves it?

Worst of all - they RUIN "Hot Fun In The Summertime," "Under The Boardwalk" and "Remember `Walking In The Sand.'," Mike decides it's a good idea to remake "Surfin'" as a pathetic 80s fake-hard-rock crap thing song and perhaps most offensively --- JOHN STAMOS FROM TV'S FULL HOUSE PERFORMS THE LATE DENNIS WILSON'S "FOREVER."

JOHN STAMOS, YOU UNDERSTAND.

ARE YOU READING ME CORRECTLY?"

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 03:35:58 AM »

...Whatever, Mike. Sounds like self-justification to me. Next time, how about a song about how it's okay to beat your wife if she deserves it?...

SIP is a rubbish album for sure but people tend to read far too much into this stuff...
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 09:15:10 AM »

Definitely SIP. GIOMH may be the worst Brian album, but there's nothing truly offensive about it - it's just quite bland most of the ride, probably one of the few albums with Brian's name you could ascribe that adjective to. Nothing on GIOMH compares in sheer offensiveness as Summer of Love or the completely irredeemable John Stamos version of Forever and the rerecord of Surfin'. It's bad - the only thing that comes close in terms of sheer joy sucking horror is the album directly preceding it - Still Crusin'. Pretty much the entire 80's was the main reason why the Beach Boys are now depicted as Hawaiian shirt wearing fat old men with greasy beards in popular culture, and why being a Beach Boys fan got you laughed at in popular circles until recently. I do hold a soft spot for BB's '85, though, although not many others do. 
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 09:16:22 AM »

...Whatever, Mike. Sounds like self-justification to me. Next time, how about a song about how it's okay to beat your wife if she deserves it?...

SIP is a rubbish album for sure but people tend to read far too much into this stuff...

'tis a joke, my friend.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 09:31:45 AM »

Whatever, Mike. Sounds like self-justification to me. Next time, how about a song about how it's okay to beat your wife if she deserves it?

Lets get this going.

Summer In Hospital

Well she walked in the room and she started to nag
I looked at my buddies and I said "what a drag"
She said "pick up that surfboard and sweep up that sand"
So I gave her a slap with the back of my hand

Chorus

So girl don't make me cross cross cross
Or you'll soon find out who's boss boss boss
I'll flip my wig and lose my cool
And you'll spend the summer in hospital

Second verse anyone?

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 10:23:14 AM »

'tis a joke, my friend.

Okay, no problem. Smiley

I actually like "Lahaina Aloha" better than "Kokomo", even though that probably doesn't say very much...
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx