gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 07:21:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lei'd In Hawaii  (Read 5287 times)
TheCanterburySound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2011, 09:20:17 AM »

As you may or may not know, Lei'd in Hawaii was given a catalogue number (Brother Records 9002), and apparently cover art was also prepared.  Has anyone ever seen this cover art?  Does anyone have a pic of it?  Or has anyone ever created their own fantasy cover art for Lei'd In Hawaii?  Thanks, any info would be much appreciated!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 10:49:26 AM »

I don't know much about the album itself, but I recently decided to remaster it, and couldn't bear the pain of hearing Mike bash H&V... oh my gosh... Sad

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 12:08:53 PM »

I always wanted to see that cover art as well, I mean the original Capitol artwork.

Just as a reminder: That Mike H&V speech was scripted, and it was done with Brian's approval if not his scripting of that speech, but I don't recall it was ever revealed if Brian wrote that speech with Mike, or alone, or as a band, only that it wasn't Mike going off on the song on his own without following a script. Anyone know for sure?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 12:13:47 PM »

I always wanted to see that cover art as well, I mean the original Capitol artwork.

Just as a reminder: That Mike H&V speech was scripted, and it was done with Brian's approval if not his scripting of that speech, but I don't recall it was ever revealed if Brian wrote that speech with Mike, or alone, or as a band, only that it wasn't Mike going off on the song on his own without following a script. Anyone know for sure?

I too seem to remember some sort of "proof" that Brian wrote the whole thing, but in any case--listening to it shouldn't really cause anybody pain--think of it as Sonny Love v. Cassius Wilson or whatever the heck that skit is called.  Or the Hal Blaine vegetable arguments.

I'm a little surprised that art hasn't surfaced.  Certainly would have been a fun album.

I am curious though, from a semantics standpoint:

I recently decided to remaster it

How does one remaster something that has never been mastered in the first place?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 12:40:16 PM »

I want to see the cover because these concerts are awesome and the swan-song of the 5 original members performing together in their prime.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 01:11:36 PM »

I recently decided to remaster it

How does one remaster something that has never been mastered in the first place?

I'm puzzled by this as well...  Shrug
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 01:12:27 PM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 01:16:01 PM »

Well, "Clean it up" would fit better :D

Also, yeah, but remember that even if the speech was scripted, it was still the Boys bashing H&V and SMiLE as a whole...

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 01:23:14 PM »

Well, "Clean it up" would fit better :D

Also, yeah, but remember that even if the speech was scripted, it was still the Boys bashing H&V and SMiLE as a whole...

No, it's not them bashing Smile as a whole. But more over, it's as much them bashing Heroes and Villains as Brian is bashing Mike's nasal vocals, and Mike bashing Brian's high pitched vocals in earlier comedy cuts.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 01:27:19 PM »

They were laughing at their own -relative- failure (H&V "only" went to #12) . Better than lament about it I guess...

Also, H&V is the one Smile track (other than GV) Mike has always had nothing but praise for.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 01:30:26 PM by SloopJohnB » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 02:00:31 PM »

I want to see the cover because these concerts are awesome and the swan-song of the 5 original members performing together in their prime.

Ummmmmmmmmm... we're talking about the same shows, right ? Late August 1967 in Hawaii ?  "Awesome" wasn't the first word that sprang to mind.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 02:06:23 PM »

Ummmmmmmmmm... we're talking about the same shows, right ? Late August 1967 in Hawaii ?  "Awesome" wasn't the first word that sprang to mind.
They are awesome in a "smiley smile live experience" sort of way, and the crazy stage banter.LOL Personally my favorite shows are the 1964 Sacramento tapes.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 02:08:28 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 02:10:28 PM »

Brian, the Baldwin and the stripped-out, relaxed feel make these shows awesome. They're probably my favorite BB shows... I honestly feel the Boys would have been received well by the Monterey crowd with such performances.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 02:15:21 PM »

Brian, the Baldwin and the stripped-out, relaxed feel make these shows awesome. They're probably my favorite BB shows... I honestly feel the Boys would have been received well by the Monterey crowd with such performances.
Brian singing H&Vs in his prime makes these shows really worthwhile because Brian spent the next couple of decades hiding from doing that song live.

Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 07:34:20 PM »

There are 2 Leid in Hawaii lp"s..One the actual concert + the other one is the vocal overdubs with the scripted speech..At least thats what i have..And i agree with AGD..The concert they performed was not a good idea to release.. In either form..Awesome its not..And remember SS help kill the BB reputation after the hoopla of SMILE..,Leid in Hawaii would have been a double whammy..Thank GOD they released Wild Honey instead..!!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 07:38:15 PM »

A fan remastering something that was never mastered makes a lot more sense than a fan "remastering" something that was already mastered.

imo.

These shows're very interesting, with the occasional great rendition. The rehearsal version of "Surfer Girl" (not the one on the box set, but the one on the b**tl*g) beats the pants off the original (which had some pretty sturdy pants to begin with). The "God Only Knows" and "California Girls" rehearsals are great, too.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 09:14:45 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 09:06:57 PM »

the stripped-down almost "unplugged" renditions are really sweet. i listen to that version of GOK even more than the original and CA Girls is way cool too

it's just a shame they relied so much on older material and didn't really bother with more current stuff.
Brian's change of lyric on Surfer Girl is kind of heartbreaking. ("in my woody, i used to take you...")

Lookit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 02:20:56 AM »

The artwork thing intrigues me: did they discover the actual artwork in 2006 or did they discover that artwork had been produced back in the day, but not any physical proof of it?

I talked your folks out of making you cut off your head.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2011, 05:21:06 AM »

the stripped-down almost "unplugged" renditions are really sweet. i listen to that version of GOK even more than the original and CA Girls is way cool too

it's just a shame they relied so much on older material and didn't really bother with more current stuff.
Brian's change of lyric on Surfer Girl is kind of heartbreaking. ("in my woody, i used to take you...")

The lyric change could imply that Brian knew these shows were the shows ending the era of the Beach Boys being america's top group. I like the organ in the shows, but it would have been awesome if Brian played bass for a full show one last time just like 1964 to remind people of how hard the original 5 members rocked playing together.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 05:27:28 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

pobbard
Smiley Smile Associate

My ultimate guilty pleasure

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 08:20:27 AM »

I love the version of "Surfer Girl" on CD5 of the GV box, and I love the version of "Good Vibrations" on HAWTHORNE.

What's the most complete "collection" of this material -- specifically the rehearsals an the Heider overdub sessions?

Thanks.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 11:02:04 AM »

I too seem to remember some sort of "proof" that Brian wrote the whole thing, but in any case--listening to it shouldn't really cause anybody pain--think of it as Sonny Love v. Cassius Wilson or whatever the heck that skit is called.  Or the Hal Blaine vegetable arguments.

I'm a little surprised that art hasn't surfaced.  Certainly would have been a fun album.

I think the proof may be as threadbare as something heard over a talkback at Heider's, suggesting Brian was there where previously perhaps people assumed it was Mike and the Boys doing this when Brian wasn't involved, just to bash the tune or something. I honestly don't remember the exact details, maybe someone can clarify.

As you mentioned, I do think it falls perfectly into place with earlier Beach Boys attempts at self-deprecating humor, mocking themselves and each other. It seems to have been a part of their scene and from what I've heard and read, a part of Hawthorne from their high school days too, where they'd take the piss like this and make fun of themselves and each other.

When I first read that speech years ago, though, it was upsetting with no context or background - I had the impression Mike was just ripping the song apart, because there was no history or context to go along with the words.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2011, 11:03:51 AM »

There are 2 Leid in Hawaii lp"s..One the actual concert + the other one is the vocal overdubs with the scripted speech..At least thats what i have..And i agree with AGD..The concert they performed was not a good idea to release.. In either form..Awesome its not..And remember SS help kill the BB reputation after the hoopla of SMILE..,Leid in Hawaii would have been a double whammy..Thank GOD they released Wild Honey instead..!!

Keep in mind that parts of the Hawaii live shows were to have been included on Wild Honey, along with other live recordings from the previous year or two. That would have changed the Wild Honey project entirely had that original plan gone through.

?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2011, 03:55:26 PM »

What's the most complete "collection" of this material -- specifically the rehearsals an the Heider overdub sessions?

Vigotone Lei'd in Hawaii Rehearsal and Aloha From Hawaii (And Hollywood).
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2011, 07:40:02 PM »

Both live shows are 'out there' on the net along with the Heider recordings recorded after the event. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx