gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:44:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike's Best Lyrics  (Read 4396 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2011, 07:09:47 PM »

I'd say, paying less attention to whatever backing track or melody the lyrics are married to: what are Mike's best lyrics?

My top 5:

1. Kiss Me Baby
2. California Girls
3. Please Let Me Wonder
4. Pacific Ocean Blues
5. Big Sur
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 07:23:07 PM »

1. Let The Wind Blow

Are there even anymore? haha jk

?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 07:37:12 PM »

The Warmth of the Sun!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 07:38:54 PM »

Sound Of Free
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 07:48:55 PM »

Good Vibrations
I'm Waiting For The Day

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 08:03:52 PM »

Continually, the ones he has yet to write

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 08:15:01 PM »

Good Vibrations
I'm Waiting For The Day

Yes. Exactly my favorites too.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 10:07:17 PM »

I think Mike Love has one last ass whoopin left in him.  He's going to write one more great song, that just kicks ass.  Some will notice it's greatness, most will ignore it because it's Mike Love.  
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 11:01:48 PM »

When Mike Love is inspired he is by far the best lyricist on the Beach Boys. When he's nostalgic, he is about the worst lyricist. Although, Brian had some bad ones, as did Al.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 11:22:55 PM »

I'd have to say Big Sur. Mike can be cheesy at times, but you have to admit that he's very good at describing certain things in his lyrics. Belles Of Paris is another example.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 11:36:35 PM »

The original version of Big Sur made me cry.  Then it remained in my head for a month.  I sang it to myself while walking alone on a Northern California beach.  Great tune, great lyrics.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 07:42:47 AM »

The original big sur is amazing with the classic production and great lyrics. How did Mike's bad habit of referencing old songs in lyrics begin?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 10:42:20 AM »

Do It Again mentions "California girls and a beautiful coastline".

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 11:28:46 AM »

Pacific Ocean Blues? With the cold hearted slaughter of otter? Hmmm...I'll go with Good Vibrations.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 11:50:37 AM »

I still don't know the truth about what lyrics Mike wrote. It's still questionable. It's his word against everybody elses - Brian doesn't remember exactly what Mike wrote and Murry and Carl and Dennis and Audree are not around to corroborate. So the 36 or whatever it was credits that Mike won in court in 1992? Who really knows? If he says he contributed a few lyrics to songs on Pet Sounds (other than the title) and Good Vibrations, may God bless him.

All I know is that "Beach Boys Today" and "Wild Honey" and "Holland" are in my top 5 favorite Beach Boys albums. Mike Love wrote quite a few lyrics to songs on those albums, and I really like those songs.  And Mike's lyrics to all those early 60's songs ain't that bad either, eh?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 11:56:37 AM »

I still don't know the truth about what lyrics Mike wrote. It's still questionable. It's his word against everybody elses - Brian doesn't remember exactly what Mike wrote and Murry and Carl and Dennis and Audree are not around to corroborate. So the 36 or whatever it was credits that Mike won in court in 1992? Who really knows? If he says he contributed a few lyrics to songs on Pet Sounds (other than the title) and Good Vibrations, may God bless him.

I remember both of us a few weeks ago were questioning how much of Good Vibes Mike wrote because he only ever talked about the chorus. With that in mind, though, one of the recent Beach Boys youtube videos shows him talking about writing other parts. I'm convinced that he wrote basically the full lyric with possibly a few things by Brian thrown in (certainly the title).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 11:59:01 AM by rockandroll » Logged
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 12:01:44 PM »

kiss me baby and i'm waiting for the day i'd say
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 12:24:12 PM »

I remember both of us a few weeks ago were questioning how much of Good Vibes Mike wrote because he only ever talked about the chorus. With that in mind, though, one of the recent Beach Boys youtube videos shows him talking about writing other parts. I'm convinced that he wrote basically the full lyric with possibly a few things by Brian thrown in (certainly the title).

Don't remember seeing that interview, but I'll search it down.  Thanks, Rock&Roll.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 12:32:17 PM »

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

No mas, por favor.
Been Too Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2011, 01:42:49 PM »

Don't remember seeing that interview, but I'll search it down.  Thanks, Rock&Roll.

Here's the clip. That part starts at about 1:45.

http://youtu.be/GfFb8jgmLD8
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2011, 04:25:08 PM »

If Mike wrote the "I know there's answer" tweak to "Hang On To Your Ego" [I don't know for certain if he did] but if not, whoever did, turned that song from middlin' soon dated downer lecture to a universal song of trancedent hope. imo.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2011, 04:46:53 PM »

I was looking at the Pet Sounds credits earlier today. I saw Mike credited to Hang On To Your Ego! I put my reading glasses on to make sure I was seeing correctly. My memory is vague here, but didn't Mike OBJECT to the lyrics to Hang Onto Your Ego? And that's why it was changed to "I Know There's An Answer" and went unreleased for 24 years until that Japanese Pet Sounds CD came out in 1990?

I'm confused. Seems to me he objected to it, but he still sang on it and now he gets lyrical credit for it? Or am I wrong on one or two counts?

Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2011, 07:03:08 PM »

Here's the clip. That part starts at about 1:45.

http://youtu.be/GfFb8jgmLD8

That was very interesting. I always wondered why Mike wrote the non-rhyming lyric "She goes with me to a blossom room." It's interesting it was originally "She goes with me to a blossom room we find (to whyme with "kind") but Brian decided to cut off the end of the line.

It shows Mike did write the lyrics, with Brian editing as he saw fit.

Back to the original topic of Mike's best lyrics, I'd go with "Good Vibrations," "Warmth of the Sun," "Let the Wind Blow" and "Kiss Me Baby."
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2011, 01:03:22 AM »

I was looking at the Pet Sounds credits earlier today. I saw Mike credited to Hang On To Your Ego! I put my reading glasses on to make sure I was seeing correctly. My memory is vague here, but didn't Mike OBJECT to the lyrics to Hang Onto Your Ego? And that's why it was changed to "I Know There's An Answer" and went unreleased for 24 years until that Japanese Pet Sounds CD came out in 1990?

I'm confused. Seems to me he objected to it, but he still sang on it and now he gets lyrical credit for it? Or am I wrong on one or two counts?

He claims he wasn't cool with what he thought Brian and Sachen were using "ego" as a druggy reference. Although the way he took the reference it would be a sort of anti-druggy message as used in the song so that doesn't make sense. If you consider that Mike is on tape enthusiastically singing the lyric and even offering to sing the whole song when Al's futzing around bogs down the recording. I got a feeling Brian was the one who didn't like the lyric [cuz it is clunky as sung and stick's out like a sore thumb imo and I think you can hear Brian say he didn't like it on the SOTs in the conversations at the re-record, can someone else put ears on that] and turned to Mike to tweak it.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2011, 01:09:24 AM »

I always thought the verse was "blossom world".

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx