gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680715 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 02:07:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Barnyard / I'm In Great Shape - Stereo Mix  (Read 11419 times)
JCarson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2011, 05:16:41 AM »

This, of course, is to revisit one of the great debates of the ancient Church Fathers: open country / agriculture / something else. Orthodox tradition allows a range of opinions on the matter.  Smiley
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2011, 05:29:16 AM »

What is the song that you hear right at the beginning of I'm In Great Shape? The piano melody. I can't for the life of me place it. I know I'm going to feel like a gigantic dumbass once somebody says what it is. Ever have one of those brainfarts? Roll Eyes  Grin

Yeah same question over here as well!

The start of that sequence really works man going into the siren vocals Smiley.

--

The isolation is very good although of course things become very difficult when the vocal becomes significantly lower in level.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
TheManchesterMan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2011, 06:28:31 AM »

What is the song that you hear right at the beginning of I'm In Great Shape? The piano melody. I can't for the life of me place it. I know I'm going to feel like a gigantic dumbass once somebody says what it is. Ever have one of those brainfarts? Roll Eyes  Grin

Yeah same question over here as well!

The start of that sequence really works man going into the siren vocals Smiley.

--

The isolation is very good although of course things become very difficult when the vocal becomes significantly lower in level.

It's part of the track "Heroes and Villains Part 2", 21 on the second disc of the box set. And it does work very well as an intro to this (although the woo-woos are among my least favourite Smile vocals, they do not offend me used here to bridge the two parts)
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2011, 09:59:55 AM »

Right now I'm working on trying to extract the lead vocal on Wonderful - for some reason the instrumental & final versions of the track don't sync up, even when placed in the same key. Anyone else notice this? Very strange...

Tape decks will never play back at exactly the same speed twice.  Because of the lack of any real stereo mixes of that version of Wonderful, leads me to believe it only exists as a monophonic mix or acetate (like Barnshine and YWMS, etc.)...  But in contrast, they seem to have the multitracks for the backing vocals.

So what you have is a modern ProTools isolation and remix of the backing vocals, but then a vintage tape-source of that mix.  So the two will not fall together exactly.  On the otherhand, there was another track that synchs perfectly because both seem to be from a ProTools reconstruction that Linnett/Boyd did (Was it Child?  I can't remember).  Does that make sence?  Could be talking out of my rear-end here... 

jonjameshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2011, 10:02:37 AM »

lovin both mixes - congrats dude great work!

is it possible to get barnyard without the phazed ending? just fits so nice in the boxset without that!

much love!

J
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2011, 10:11:43 AM »

Right now I'm working on trying to extract the lead vocal on Wonderful - for some reason the instrumental & final versions of the track don't sync up, even when placed in the same key. Anyone else notice this? Very strange...

Tape decks will never play back at exactly the same speed twice.  Because of the lack of any real stereo mixes of that version of Wonderful, leads me to believe it only exists as a monophonic mix or acetate (like Barnshine and YWMS, etc.)...  But in contrast, they seem to have the multitracks for the backing vocals.

So what you have is a modern ProTools isolation and remix of the backing vocals, but then a vintage tape-source of that mix.  So the two will not fall together exactly.  On the otherhand, there was another track that synchs perfectly because both seem to be from a ProTools reconstruction that Linnett/Boyd did (Was it Child?  I can't remember).  Does that make sence?  Could be talking out of my rear-end here... 

What you're saying makes perfect sense.
It's odd because, even lined up at exactly the same pitch, the tempos are WAY off.
You'd expect a little phasing action, but this almost sounds like two different takes, it's so off.
I don't hear any signs of time-stretching on either version. I'm officially thrown for a loop.

lovin both mixes - congrats dude great work!

is it possible to get barnyard without the phazed ending? just fits so nice in the boxset without that!

much love!

J

Thanks man. I'll see if I can do that! If not.. "Roll Your Own"  Grin
tygerbug
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2011, 10:42:09 AM »

He appears to be singing "open country" in the demo, to go with the title "Open Country Song."
Barnshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2011, 11:53:20 AM »

It's odd because, even lined up at exactly the same pitch, the tempos are WAY off.
You'd expect a little phasing action, but this almost sounds like two different takes, it's so off.
I don't hear any signs of time-stretching on either version. I'm officially thrown for a loop.

Having listened carefully to both versions, I believe that these are two diffetent takes. Actually, for a lot of the sessions the master take is not represented, but usually it's not that diffetent from the take that is included.
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2011, 12:04:43 PM »

You mean Wonderful or Child? 

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2011, 12:43:49 PM »

I think this version of "Barnyard" is just awesome. Can't believe you got it to sound that good.

"I'm In Great Shape" though, I prefer the official version. I think it really works that way.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2011, 08:50:32 PM »

Would it be possible to get a version of IIGS that is just Brian's voice, without the piano or any of the IIGS studio backing track?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2011, 10:28:30 PM »

Hey, I posted this in another thread, but since you seem so good at this I think you should be the person to give it a shot at making a "fall 1966" "Heroes And Villains" version that includes the following:

• First Verse (ending w/ fluttertone)
  • "I'm In Great Shape"
  • "Heroes And Villains: Intro (early version)": which is called "part 3" if you listen to the track, which I guess what make "part 3" then, haha
  • "??": not sure what you could use here, maybe the "three score and five" part?
  • "Barnyard"

Or at least use the usual first verse up to the fluttertone and then "Great Shape", and then go crazy with the rest. I bed you'd do an awesome job!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2011, 07:38:50 AM »

Hey, I posted this in another thread, but since you seem so good at this I think you should be the person to give it a shot at making a "fall 1966" "Heroes And Villains" version that includes the following:

• "I'm In Great Shape"
  • "Heroes And Villains: Intro (early version)": which is called "part 3" if you listen to the track, which I guess what make "part 3" then, haha
  • "??": not sure what you could use here, maybe the "three score and five" part?
  • "Barnyard"

Or at least use the usual first verse up to the fluttertone and then "Great Shape", and then go crazy with the rest. I bed you'd do an awesome job!

I'll tell u what man, it's been on my mind to tackle a stereo mix of H&V with Brian's original vocal. How cool would it be to hear the "3 score and 5" section in true stereo??
Right now I'm working on a true stereo mix of Cabinessence with the stereo track, stereo background vocals + lead vocal panned center.
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2011, 07:51:56 AM »

• "I'm In Great Shape"
  • "Barnyard"

I'll tell u what man, it's been on my mind to tackle a stereo mix of H&V with Brian's original vocal. How cool would it be to hear the "3 score and 5" section in true stereo??
Right now I'm working on a true stereo mix of Cabinessence with the stereo track, stereo background vocals + lead vocal panned center.
Cheesy
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2011, 08:33:57 AM »

Have another Stereo SMiLE Mini-Mix.   Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OB3FmZcG7w

Songs included are Child Is The Father Of The Man / The Old Master Painter / You Were My Sunshine
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2011, 10:28:13 AM »

can we please have the isolated child vocals?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2011, 11:26:11 AM »

Songs included are Child Is The Father Of The Man / The Old Master Painter / You Were My Sunshine

OH MY GOD. That's the best Child version I've ever heard. INCREDIBLE!!!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2011, 11:38:15 AM »

I actually miss the pounding piano in these...

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2011, 03:01:33 PM »

Having listened carefully to both versions, I believe that these are two diffetent takes. Actually, for a lot of the sessions the master take is not represented, but usually it's not that diffetent from the take that is included.

It was slowed down before the vocals were added. What are you trying to do, pitch shift the track? That's not going to work. You need to slow it down as well.

Deary me!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2011, 05:05:12 PM »

OH MY GOD. That's the best Child version I've ever heard. INCREDIBLE!!!

:D  I AM FU*KING CRYING. THAT IS INCREDIBLE!!! PLEASE RELEASE ALL YOUR ISOLATIONS AND BITS SO I CAN BORROW SOME FOR MY MIX! I PROMISE I'LL CREDIT YOU!

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2011, 05:13:48 PM »

Alright, i've calmed down... I'm ready to do my own mix now Haha :D Anyway, congrats on the incredible achievement! please share your incredible "bits"!

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2011, 05:27:06 PM »

It was slowed down before the vocals were added. What are you trying to do, pitch shift the track? That's not going to work. You need to slow it down as well.

Deary me!

Have u tried it?

Sounds like the same take, but maybe it's not.  The tracks are not in time, even when properly slowed down to the same key. (Not just pitch shifted...)
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2011, 05:46:48 PM »

Alright, i've calmed down... I'm ready to do my own mix now Haha :D Anyway, congrats on the incredible achievement!

Thanks bro, glad you liked the mix.

please share your incredible "bits"!

Haha, why would I do that?

That's the fun of doing this! Being your own little mad scientist Brian Wilson, trying to find ways to make the music work together.

On another note, this stuff takes forever. (After a few hours of tedious work I'm halfway thru verse 1 of Cabinessence, for example. and it's sounding amazing btw..)
I'd feel weird putting out the isolations before I make my "official" fan mix of the album, which is inevitable at this point. Not to mention, I'd consider where they're at right now "works in progress".

Here's to hoping I'm not coming off like a douche, and I truly hope you'll continue to check out my mixes!

SMiLE people.  3D
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2011, 06:27:19 PM »

I want my official stereo mixes.  Their excuses were pretty weak with the things that can be done digitally nowadays.  No hurry i suppose, i'd like if they did an isolated barnyard too.  in five years or whatever just have a smile mono/stereo thing like pet sounds.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2011, 03:07:29 AM »

Deary me!

Have u tried it?

Sounds like the same take, but maybe it's not.  The tracks are not in time, even when properly slowed down to the same key. (Not just pitch shifted...)

I think I read somewhere here that the master take was snipped off the reel - so what the box presents is the take before.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx