gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:57:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Vega-Tables the crowned king of the box set?  (Read 3013 times)
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2011, 06:07:21 PM »

Just drinking down the stereo VT for the umpteenillionth time on headphones. Good sodding grief, it sounds matchless.

Is there a finer mix on the box?

Gentlemen, start your opinions please.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 06:10:50 PM »

The first chorus wouldn't have been my first choice - the tempo feels off from the rest of the song. Otherwise, it's pretty good.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 06:15:52 PM »

Sorry to split hairs, RD0, but the MIX -- plug it into your lugholes again and just soak up the sound. Never mind the construction. Isn't the sound just glorious? Remember, these tapes are 45 years old and have been chucked about like second hand furniture.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 06:20:15 PM »

Er, thanks to my lack of vinyl-player, I cannot partake in the listening pleasure of the stereo version Undecided

However, the album mix is friggin' stunning. Probably the pinnacle of the album - the first and second chorus are just killers.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
mistermono
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 07:35:39 PM »

Absolutely the most convincing of the new edits on TSS. This one would've blown 'em away in '67.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 07:55:13 PM »

Gonna have to wait for Christmas when I get a record player to hear it.  :-(

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 07:59:39 PM »

I like love the stereo mixing, but I'm still not too keen on the construction.  the GV box mix is great, I wish he would have recreated that...

Verse / sleep a lot / verse / insert / send us your letter (barbershop) / slower sleep a lot / fade

It's as if they took that logical construction and said "Nah, let's rearrange the second half so its more jarring!" 

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 08:39:50 PM »

Sorry to split hairs, RD0, but the MIX -- plug it into your lugholes again and just soak up the sound. Never mind the construction. Isn't the sound just glorious? Remember, these tapes are 45 years old and have been chucked about like second hand furniture.

I'm saying the sound gets significantly faster there, but then slows back down. The 2nd chorus doesn't do this, as it's a different take of the same section.

I have no lugholes in which I wish to plug up, it sounds... uncomfortable.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 09:06:17 PM »

Love to Say Dada for me...which after listening to all the different versions/sessions, has become my favorite out of all the Smile tracks bar Surf's Up.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 07:23:12 AM »

From audiophile perspective: Yes. The sound is tremendous.

From BW fan perspective: No the editing is strange like runnersdialzero pointed out and they made it too long IMHO.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:28:28 AM by cablegeddon » Logged

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 07:26:39 AM »

I absolutely love the new construction of V-T.  They took what I formerly considered to be rather a lesser Smile track and transformed it into a full fledged cornucopia.  Where the GV box version felt half baked to me, this new construction is fully formed.  (Unfortunately, I don't have a record player, so I haven't yet heard the stereo mix or the single mix--I'm actually half considering getting a turntable now just for this.)  Between the new mix, the cleaner demo and the sessions (which are a lot of fun--listening to that stuff, it's almost hard to believe that the project was in trouble by that point), I'd say V-T has emerged as one of the high points of TSS.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 08:05:24 AM »

Completely agree

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 08:22:22 AM »

The stereo Vega-Tables is definitely one of my favs on the box.  The first time I heard the initial mono version it felt a little jarring the way it was edited but only because of what I was used to.  But it's not anymore.  It's perfect.  Longer doesn't always mean better, but in this case it definitely is better.

Best thing on the entire box?  Can't really pick one, but right now these 3 are my choices:
Surf's Up (stereo mix)
Vega-Tables (stereo mix)
Surf's Up 1967

UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 01:52:22 AM »

Yep, from a song/mix perspective, VT is the real triumph. The stereo mix on the vinyl is sublime. In fact, all of Side 4 is, for me, the highlight of the whole set. It's an exquisite blend of session material and stereo mixes that distills all that's best about TSS into a short, cohesive experience

The SU mix aside (it's not a bad job, but the Anne Wallace mix remains definitive for me - wish that wasn't the case, but it is) the side 4 experience is really worth checking out. The stereo WC - wow!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx