gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 07:14:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Moody Blues  (Read 16479 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2005, 04:42:55 PM »

I kinda dislike Tull, too. At least the prof version. When they were a blooze/folk band, This Was-Benefit-era, they were all right.

I guess Can counts too, if so, they're probably the best Prog band.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2005, 04:45:45 PM »

Well, being an aspiring flautist, I find the incredible virtuosity of Ians playing something to behold.
Jason
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2005, 04:46:39 PM »

Ian Anderson is a fine flautist. He's a very talented musician. I just don't dig his band.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2005, 04:47:21 PM »

being an aspiring flautist

Ummm, I'm trying not to giggle.

Jason
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2005, 04:48:24 PM »

:D
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2005, 04:55:24 PM »

Haha, you bastards Smiley
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2005, 05:52:24 PM »

Wink

Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2005, 06:22:05 AM »

Yes are freaking great, and "Close To The Edge" is one of the best, tightest, most focused prog records ever made. There's no "soloing" to speak of, the arrangements go intriguing places, the songs are terrific and the vocal harmonies are transcendent.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2005, 07:20:14 AM »

Tull. Benefit.  I think this was their peak.  Go back and have a listen.  Not a dull moment. 

Someone mentioned Emerson solos....as having no soul.  I agree.  I once went to a midnight movie featuring ELP.  The keyboard turned upside down and it was STILL boring.  And I felt the same way about the Wakeman stuff.  Pretentious, self indulgent noodling.

OK.  Now the Yes fans can feel free to rip my ass.  Its ok.  I understand. Grin
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2005, 08:54:21 AM »

Nah, I don't like Wakeman much either. Luckily, on the albums, there isn't much "wanky soloing" from him.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2005, 11:13:06 AM »

"wanky soloing"   lol lol lol!!!!

This could be a thread in itself...the greatest wanking solo of all time..
PapaNez22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2005, 07:58:24 PM »

Well I'm late to the conversation and will now bring it back to the Moodies.

I LOVE,  LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Moody Blues. In fact I'm listening to 'To Our Children's Children's Children' right now.

There's not another band out there puts my soul at ease like the Moody Blues. From the moment when that c minor chord strikes on Dawn is a Feeling, to that final sweeping string section of Nights In White Satin, I am in a state of complete bliss. 'Days of Future Passed' has quickly worked it's way into my all time top five records. I really can't say enough about the damn record. And Twilght Time! TWILIGHT TIME fodaING KICKS THE ASS OF MOST EVERYTHING. Alright, that might be a bit much, but it's just such a groovy track.

And I agree with Jon on 'In Search of the Lost Chord.' I remember a thread about the greatest opening tracks a while back, and 'Ride My See-Saw' should've been mentioned somewhere in that thread (I don't think I read much of it). Few records deliver such an exhilarting start to a journey. One of those being SMiLE with Heroes & Villians.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2005, 08:03:42 PM »

Aren't See-Saw and Heroes the second tracks on their respective albums?  Wink

I was wondering when you were going to show up on this thread.

I've gotta try this band again.

PapaNez22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2005, 08:26:34 PM »

Aren't See-Saw and Heroes the second tracks on their respective albums?  Wink

lol! I knew someone was going to point that out.

I really don't see what's so pretentious about the Moodies. They're all about evoking imagery and peacefulness. I think that opening to 'Days' is a perfect tablesetter for the album ahead.

If your talking pretentious, you must be talking about Yes  :D
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2005, 08:29:28 PM »

They're all about evoking imagery and peacefulness.

So is Mannheim Steamroller.

I will definitely break out my Moodies collection. I feel a change of heart coming on.

If your talking pretentious, you must be talking about Yes 

Grin

PapaNez22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2005, 08:38:24 PM »

They're all about evoking imagery and peacefulness.

So is Mannheim Steamroller.

Sweet Jesus, I can't believe you just made that comparison. lol
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2005, 09:32:14 PM »

Hey man, I wasn't comparing the two bands, just saying they have a similar aim according to your classification!

Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2005, 09:50:05 PM »

ENUFF with the Yes dissing. Yes, I *get* it, they're not as hip as your GENESIS WITH PETER GABRIEL or whatever, but lord god, "Close To The Edge," people!! Just the first two minutes of Siberian Khatru ALONE!

TWILIGHT TIME fodaING KICKS THE ASS OF MOST EVERYTHING.

It kinda does. Yeah. Days of Future Passed -- underrated album in every way. Fallen out of favor, unfairly.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2005, 09:53:47 PM »

ENUFF with the Yes dissing. Yes, I *get* it, they're not as hip as your GENESIS WITH PETER GABRIEL or whatever, but lord god, "Close To The Edge," people!! Just the first two minutes of Siberian Khatru ALONE!

TWILIGHT TIME fodaING KICKS THE ASS OF MOST EVERYTHING.

It kinda does. Yeah. Days of Future Passed -- underrated album in every way. Fallen out of favor, unfairly.

That's hilarious, because every time I see a Yes dis, I can picture your eyes bugging out of your head!  Grin

cta
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2005, 09:59:42 PM »

Justin Hayward, I consider, as one of the best music writers the pop world has ever seen.  His songs just grab me and keep me interested because of how they flow and build up, come back down, build back up, etc.  I've seen people who don't even know who the Moodies are hear a Hayward song and say, "Hey, play that back - that was a pretty good song".  Hayward's songs have such a warm and inviting feel to them and I'm sure there are many who feel the same way, but can't describe it as such, let alone know who Hayward is.

Days is a very great album.  Chord/Childrens/Threshold...yeah, they have their moments (Intro to Seesaw, Its Up To You, Have You Heard I & II, Gypsy, etc) are very good songs.  But those three albums, to me, are mediocre.  They don't have the feel of Days or Sojourn.   Sojourn, I really like a lot.  It seems as if it was a rather "Abbey Road" kind of thing because from what's been written from the band member's mouths today, they do admit they thought that album was going to be their last and they seemed to, as George Harrison stated when referring to Abbey Road is, "Make it neat, leave it good and tidy". 

The stuff after that has some nice moments, but the rest is almost of a velveeta type of consistency. 

EGBDF is a sheer bore to listen to.  "Story" and the intro section of Moog work from Pinder are the only things on that one worth a crap.

As far as Yes goes, they're pretty good.  Sure Jon Anderson's an egomaniac, so is Wakeman...and yes, I do like Topographic Oceans!   Yessongs is one of the best live albums I've ever heard, even though the sound could use a good mix, polishing and be immersed to sit in Windex for about a week because it is almost in mono.  Yes is not a group for mono...save that for Spector and Wilson.

ELP...great inspiration if you want to be a drummer.  Yeah, Emerson's a tool, but I really like Moogs - so who else is their to listen to for a barrage of Moogatry? 

As for Genesis...I'm SLOWLY getting into the Supper's Ready era after being raised on Genesis Cheese-Album all the way up to "Dance".  Collins is a kick ass drummer and I like Bank's keyboard work.  Sure a lot of the lyrics from their later period is pure schmutz, but their musicianship still remains to be top notch and intact.  "Blood On The Rooftops" is probalby my fav of theirs right now and has been for the past few years. 

I do feel if it weren't for things like Pet Sounds, Pepper, the drive for Smile, The Beatles and poppy British psychedelia, groups like Yes, Genesis and ELP wouldn't have had musicians push their limits past what at the time seem to be country-rock and dong-swinging-bang-all-the-chicks rock which was and is purely predictable, thus boring in a sense.

By the way, Mr. Hunt...DRAMA S-S-S-S-S-SUUUUUUUUCKS!!! Smiley
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 10:08:30 PM by cta » Logged

Feh.
Lester Byrd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2005, 10:18:19 PM »

By the way, Mr. Hunt...DRAMA S-S-S-S-S-SUUUUUUUUCKS!!! Smiley

I love Drama.

There! I said it! I LOVE DRAMA!!
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2005, 05:58:12 AM »

You ain't alone, Lester Byrd.

That's hilarious, because every time I see a Yes dis, I can picture your eyes bugging out of your head!

It's my pet project, getting people to stop automatically dismissing them anytime prog rock gets mentioned!

But then, I'm a prog junkie!
Jason
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2005, 06:27:54 AM »

But then, I'm a prog junkie!

Poor, poor soul.  Wink
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx