gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680855 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 05:11:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The SMiLE Sessions Box Set-#27 on U.S. Billboard  (Read 8072 times)
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2011, 06:09:41 AM »

the Beach Boys concurrently arrive with the summery sounds of "Smile."

Unreleased since its inception 45 years ago, the title bows at No. 27. (Brian Wilson's solo interpretation of the album reached No. 13 in 2004).

With the entrance, the Beach Boys have sent three consecutive entries into the Billboard 200's top 40 for the first time since 1975-76. "The Very Best of the Beach Boys: Sounds of Summer" peaked at No. 16 in 2003 and "The Warmth of the Sun" opened at its No. 40 peak in 2007.

http://www.billboard.com/column/chartbeat/weekly-chart-notes-mariah-carey-beach-boys-1005511572.story#/column/chartbeat/weekly-chart-notes-mariah-carey-beach-boys-1005511572.story?page=2

Summery sounds? 

Oh, well.  Interesting about this making three recent Top 40 albums... first such streak since 1975-76. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2011, 06:48:40 AM »

Corrct me if I'm wrong but that makes the Beach Boys having at least one top 30 chartplacing in every decade since they were formed about 50 years ago, right ? That's pretty impressive. Don't know how many other bands can claim that

EDIT:
ok, I'm not sure about the 90s. What did Fun Fun Fun with Status Quo chart at ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2011, 08:33:46 AM »

I'm actually really happy with the sales, worldwide, it's a load off..

That said, I can't quite shake the feeling it could have been ever bigger if The Beach Boys were signed to a label that knows how to promote an album..

I can't get over the fact SMiLE was nowhere to be seen on the front page of itunes during the week of it's release, a friging U2 re-release is plastered all over but SMiLE couldn't even get a slight mention, not even in the new releases section, It's just a shame. Capitol did a great job with the box and getting the album out but they don't have clue when it comes to getting the word out. Even on facebook they spent all their time flogging the ridiculously overpriced special editions as opposed to just giving an amazon or itunes link to pre-order.

You have to understand 750,000 of the 800 or so thousand people on the BB facebook page have no clue what SMiLE is, you should have seen the comments, "I can't afford the album it's 800 bucks". It was shameless

Nirvana, Pink Floyd, U2 all got huge promotional campaigns, shame TBB didn't

Still sold great regardless, and I'm sitting here listening to the album, that's all that matters

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2011, 09:23:44 AM »

The album could have gone even higher if stores actually carried the thing. I couldn't find it in any FYE or Best Buy in my town. Barnes & Noble had 1 copy of the 2 discs version (but at $35 I doubt it will sell!).

No in store display, or even a prominence in the "new releases" rack. Nothing.

My local Walmart had 4 copies of "Key of Disney", though, which was nice.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2011, 09:37:38 AM »

Unreal

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2011, 10:05:31 AM »

Considering the only entity that seems to be promoting SMiLE is Brian himself, I think #27 is a very nice result.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2011, 11:32:50 PM »

With the entrance, the Beach Boys have sent three consecutive entries into the Billboard 200's top 40 for the first time since 1975-76. "The Very Best of the Beach Boys: Sounds of Summer" peaked at No. 16 in 2003 and "The Warmth of the Sun" opened at its No. 40 peak in 2007.

http://www.billboard.com/column/chartbeat/weekly-chart-notes-mariah-carey-beach-boys-1005511572.story#/column/chartbeat/weekly-chart-notes-mariah-carey-beach-boys-1005511572.story?page=2

I think the writer didn't know about Summer Love Songs...that didn't reach the top 40...
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2011, 11:54:38 PM »

The album could have gone even higher if stores actually carried the thing. I couldn't find it in any FYE or Best Buy in my town. Barnes & Noble had 1 copy of the 2 discs version (but at $35 I doubt it will sell!).

No in store display, or even a prominence in the "new releases" rack. Nothing.

My local Walmart had 4 copies of "Key of Disney", though, which was nice.

In this day and age, I really doubt that a lack of presence in stores is as big a problem as you'd think - relative to online merchants, physical stores are overpriced with a pretty limited selection (I still shudder to think of the days when I had to go to some crappy store like FYE to buy music).  Aside from fulfilling an immediate urge to buy a release you just read about, why would anyone choose to buy from a brick and mortar store rather than buying online?  I just don't think a bigger presence in stores would have made much of a difference.

Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2011, 09:56:16 AM »

what did they project
A million units in January.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2011, 09:40:47 PM »

Reminds me of the time, years ago, in a bar.  I told a woman I owned a copy of the Beach Boys Deluxe Set--near mint.  She said, "But is it mono?"  End of attempt.

That would have been the point where I would have asked her to marry me. Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2011, 12:45:39 AM »

I think the writer didn't know about Summer Love Songs...that didn't reach the top 40...

... or even the top 200.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2011, 02:54:23 AM »

Jon:  I'll be at the local watering hole tonight.  I'll try that line on the first babe I encounter.  Wish me luck!
Follow it up with a little "Hey baby...did ya know that Al Jardine was born in Ohio?" That one always works for me.
I usually look them deep in their eyes and say "That's Brian playing the harmonica on 'Susie Cincinnati'".

I show them my bootleg. Never fails.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2011, 06:15:47 AM »

Jon:  I'll be at the local watering hole tonight.  I'll try that line on the first babe I encounter.  Wish me luck!
Follow it up with a little "Hey baby...did ya know that Al Jardine was born in Ohio?" That one always works for me.
I usually look them deep in their eyes and say "That's Brian playing the harmonica on 'Susie Cincinnati'".

I show them my bootleg. Never fails.

My opening line: "Did you know there's a nearly inaudible bum bass note at 1'24" into the Purplechick SMiLE version of IIGS?"

Always got me into their beds.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2011, 11:43:27 AM »

nice placing on these 2 charts....

http://www.thetop22.com/2011/11/indie-record-store-cd-and-vinyl-sales-charts-11-6-11/

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Caroline Yes
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2011, 02:36:04 PM »

At the record store here in Central New York there was a HUGE in store display with multiple Box Sets and 2-CD editions. 

Though I must say, I'm a bit disappointed with the #27 position.  BWPS debuted at #13 for a chart stay of 17 weeks, and in the UK it debuted at #7 and went gold.  What's up with that? Why didn't all the people that bought BWPS buy the actual release?! I suppose it had to do with the pricing perhaps? The two disk edition isn't cheap, and I haven't seen any single disk editions...
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »

it's at #93 this week in billboard

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2011, 08:58:12 AM »

At the record store here in Central New York there was a HUGE in store display with multiple Box Sets and 2-CD editions. 

Though I must say, I'm a bit disappointed with the #27 position.  BWPS debuted at #13 for a chart stay of 17 weeks, and in the UK it debuted at #7 and went gold.  What's up with that? Why didn't all the people that bought BWPS buy the actual release?! I suppose it had to do with the pricing perhaps? The two disk edition isn't cheap, and I haven't seen any single disk editions...

just look at it this way. everyone's waiting for Smile to come out.

2004: It's finally here! YAY!
2011: Just kidding, now it's finally here. yay.

Also, people bought a lot more CDs in 2004 than they do now. You couldn't find full albums on the internet for free anywhere near as easily as you can in 2011.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Caroline Yes
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2011, 09:42:24 AM »

just look at it this way. everyone's waiting for Smile to come out.

2004: It's finally here! YAY!
2011: Just kidding, now it's finally here. yay.

Also, people bought a lot more CDs in 2004 than they do now. You couldn't find full albums on the internet for free anywhere near as easily as you can in 2011.

I suppose that makes sense, but if you're someone who was interested in Brian's project in 2004, I would think you would want to actually purchase at least the 2-disk edition.  Anyone who bought that album in 2004 I would assume would be a pretty die-hard Beach Boys fan.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx