gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:01:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Our Prayer" (Giggle Version)  (Read 3567 times)
P.J.
Smiley Smile Associate

The least you could do is smile.

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2011, 04:59:03 PM »

I have a question about the version of "Our Prayer" that ends with the boys giggling (found as one of the versions on the Vigotone boot). How did this version come about? Is it from the September 19th or October 4th session? Is it just an alternate mix of the version we know and love?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 05:00:13 PM by P.J. » Logged

"I heard the word -- wonderful thing -- a children's song."
The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 05:03:46 PM »

Not sure, but I think Smile should end with the brief "Prayer" reprise WITH giggle.
Jason
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 05:22:57 PM »

I have a question about the version of "Our Prayer" that ends with the boys giggling (found as one of the versions on the Vigotone boot). How did this version come about? Is it from the September 19th or October 4th session? Is it just an alternate mix of the version we know and love?

That's actually from the overdub sessions on 11/17/68.
P.J.
Smiley Smile Associate

The least you could do is smile.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 05:24:25 PM »

That's actually from the overdub sessions on 11/17/68.

Really? Wow. Huh. Did not know that. Thanks!

"I heard the word -- wonderful thing -- a children's song."
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 06:01:08 PM »

I remember the version on Smile #2 (vinyl) being short a few seconds--it cut the "ahhh" section right before the "hmmmm" at the end.

Is there a story behind this? Was this a "real" edit at any point?
Jason
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 06:40:20 PM »

That is an edit of Brian's, from his December 1966 compilation tape. Seven selections on the tape in total.
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 12:23:36 AM »

That is an edit of Brian's, from his December 1966 compilation tape. Seven selections on the tape in total.

I believe DYLW was on that tape as well, and edited just like BWPS and TSS (without the second part of the Bicycle Rider fade) if I remember correctly. Maybe vintage evidence for this structure?
Barnshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 03:59:40 AM »

I believe DYLW was on that tape as well, and edited just like BWPS and TSS (without the second part of the Bicycle Rider fade) if I remember correctly. Maybe vintage evidence for this structure?

Yes it was, but it did have the fade. Otherwise the same, structure wise, but with no "Bicycle Rider" vocals.
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 04:12:44 AM »

Yes it was, but it did have the fade. Otherwise the same, structure wise, but with no "Bicycle Rider" vocals.

It has the fade, but the tracks stops afte the 'pause' within the fade, just like BWPS and TSS CD 1, where the GV Box Setruns longer.
rattfink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 07:48:41 AM »

Did this tape circulate amongst traders ever? It does not appear anywhere that I can see (although neither do the Prokopy's tapes for that matter). It's awesome that it is so easy to find SoT, Vigotone, fan mixes, etc. in the "digital age", but there is a certain nostalgia I find in the old word of mouth/ cassette/ US Mail days that I prefer.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 11:17:17 AM »

Did this tape circulate amongst traders ever? It does not appear anywhere that I can see (although neither do the Prokopy's tapes for that matter). It's awesome that it is so easy to find SoT, Vigotone, fan mixes, etc. in the "digital age", but there is a certain nostalgia I find in the old word of mouth/ cassette/ US Mail days that I prefer.

Isn't this the one that's on Secret Smile?
Jason
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 11:52:50 AM »

It does circulate.
rattfink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 01:13:52 PM »

It does circulate.

If one were to parse this together from available sources, is this how it would look?

Our Prayer Alternate mono mix with cuts (mono) (0:58)- Vigo
Wonderful 1966 mono mix (mono) (2:09)- Vigo
Wind Chimes 1966 mono mix (mono) (2:22)- Vigo
CIFOTM Bridge, unknown take (mono) (0:50) - Secret Smile
CE Verse/chorus/tag vocal overdub (mono) (2:25) – Secret Smile
CIFOTM 2nd acetate mix (mono) (1:41)- Vigo
DYLW Parts 1-4, mono mix, from acetate (mono) (3:36)- Vigo
CE Chorus/tag vocal overdub (mono) (1:46)- Secret Smile
Jason
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 02:40:54 PM »

Yes, on all counts - except that the second version of CIFOTM on the Vigotone 2-CD set is actually the same thing as the two CIFOTM selections on the comp tape, just with dead space edited out and the sections reversed. Wind Chimes is not on the comp tape.

This is the contents of the December 1966 tape -

Our Prayer
Wonderful
Cabin Essence verse/chorus/tag
Cabin Essence chorus/tag
Child Is Father of the Man verse/chorus
Child Is Father of the Man bridge
Do You Like Worms mono assembly - note the different vocals in part 3
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 02:46:29 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx