gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:14:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smile songs that wouldn't have been out of place on Pet Sounds, and vice versa  (Read 1430 times)
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2011, 01:02:03 PM »

Besides 'Good Vibrations', obviously.

It probably doesn't happen very often that a band changes it's style so drastically between two albums that almost none of the songs on those albums would have worked on the other album.

The only 'Smile' songs that I think could work on 'Pet Sounds' are 'Wonderful' (musically, not lyrically) and 'Our Prayer'. Vice versa, probably just the song 'Pet Sounds'.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 02:28:52 PM by shelter » Logged
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 01:07:21 PM »

The ones that don't feel to out of place imo are the ones recorded at the beginning so Good Vibrations early Wonderful, Windchimes and Look. Conversely could any Pet Sounds songs exist within Smile? Maybe the I Just Wasn't Made For These Times track? Trombone Dixie?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Weezer12
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 01:17:45 PM »

The ones that don't feel to out of place imo are the ones recorded at the beginning so Good Vibrations early Wonderful, Windchimes and Look. Conversely could any Pet Sounds songs exist within Smile? Maybe the I Just Wasn't Made For These Times track? Trombone Dixie?
There's something whimsical about "Trombone Dixie" that would probably make it fit right in on "Pet Sounds".

On the other hand, I can't hear any "SMiLE" songs, with the exception of "Good Vibrations"--and that's just a big maybe--fitting in on "Pet Sounds". Musically, "Wonderful" is a nice link between the two records, but lyrically it would have felt very out of place.
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 01:37:26 PM »

I can't see any Smile songs being a good fit on Pet Sounds, except maybe "Wonderful". That's kind of why I like the album, though. But I always thought "Trombone Dixie" and "Let's Go Away For A While" were kind of proto-Smile in style.
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 01:42:50 PM »

Pet Sounds - 'Good Vibrations' - SMiLE ......... what a sequence, simply couldn't be better* Cool

*unless you add on Smiley Smile

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 03:51:15 PM »

The two albums are just too different.  I think any swapped songs between them would stick out.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 04:01:39 PM »

I think "Child Is Father Of The Man" has a Pet Sounds like sound to it. It doesn't have as much of the colorful "psychedelic" sound as most of the rest of SMiLE does, and it strikes me as "serious" music, like nearly all of Pet Sounds does. I'd also say that musically "Surf's Up" also seems somewhat in line with the Pet Sounds aesthetic, although I think the lyrics don't so much. But yeah, I think "Child..." could definitely fit snugly on Pet Sounds.

As far as songs from Pet Sounds fitting in on SMiLE, I think maybe "Here Today" with different lyrics could. Maybe "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times". And the title track, too.
armona
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 04:16:18 PM »

Wind Chimes (an early version) could possibly work. The sad lyric is there, in a sort of "I just wasn't made for these times" vein.  The August 3 WC session has some of the Pet Sounds plushness to it.
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 04:34:33 PM »

Sloop John B might fit in the Roll Plymouth Rock section, or after H&V . The other Pet Sounds material is too personal, although Caroline No and Wonderful were both on the Don Was/IJWMFTT album.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 04:37:19 PM by harrisonjon » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx