gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:53:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Melvoin  (Read 4477 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 17, 2006, 04:54:22 AM »

I did not know until today that Mike Melvoin, who played in BB sessions in the 1960's, was the father of Wendy Melvoin, who was Wendy in Prince's band in the 1980's.

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/features/article351675.ece

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 05:37:05 AM »

Jonathan Melvoin, too.

Watch out for snakes!
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 05:40:59 AM »

I love his album, "The Plastic Cow Goes Mooog".  I might post a link with MP3s if anyone is interested.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 06:12:47 AM »

Was Joathon Melvoin the guy who played keys for Smashing Pumpkins, and died of a heroin OD?  That was a real tragedy.  Their drummer served time for getting him hooked on it. 

CMan
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 06:21:32 AM »

Yeah, he's the one.

That Cow Goes Moog thing looks amazing!

Watch out for snakes!
rb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 07:40:31 AM »

I love his album, "The Plastic Cow Goes Mooog".  I might post a link with MP3s if anyone is interested.

I, for one, would be well interested in hearing these mp3's. Please do post a link if you wish to share.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 09:02:10 AM »

Wendy Melvoin also played guitar on Sheryl Crow's "My Favorite Mistake".  Great record of a great song.

C-Man
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 12:15:59 PM »

Mike didn't work with Brian a whole lot, but when he did, his contributions were wonderful.  In particular I love his masterful, nuanced touch on IJWMFTT, on harpsichord.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 12:40:33 PM »

Do you know if he played on You've Lost that Lovin' Feeling? Those two songs have a similar feel.

Watch out for snakes!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 12:50:10 PM »

It's possible.  Apparently Mike arranged that song for Denny Doherty's (of Mamas and Papas fame) solo album?
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 01:11:21 PM »

Mike didn't work with Brian a whole lot, but when he did, his contributions were wonderful.  In particular I love his masterful, nuanced touch on IJWMFTT, on harpsichord.

He played piano bridge on Good Vibrations, no? You know, the part that they can never recreate live on stage. The piano builds up and then they sing "I don't know where but she sends me there..." It begins at 1 minute; 42 seconds into the song - "Tations....." I dig that part.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 07:05:23 PM by Heywood Floyd » Logged

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2006, 01:30:58 PM »

I like how you said that, and have to agree across the board, no matter what song it is: I love the parts on the record that can never be recreated onstage, ever.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2006, 10:15:47 PM »

That is....one of the....COOLEST album covers I've seen. I dunno why, I just like it.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2006, 07:44:16 AM »

Okay, without furthur ado, The Plastic Cow Goes Moooooog:

http://www.speedshare.org/cgi-bin/upload.cgi?a=show&file=54686520506c617374696320436f7720476f6573204d6f6f6f6f6f672e7a6970&big=1

(There is one pop up, but it's all good after that.)

Tracks:

Medicine Man
Spinning Wheel
Lady Jane
The Ballad of John and Yoko
Tomorrow Tomorrow
The Plastic Cow
Born to be Wild
One Man, One Volt
Brown Arms in Houston
Lay Lady Lay
One
Sunshine of Your Love

Liner notes:

"Hey, man, I'd like to hear a little more of that phased rubber band."

That's just one of the comments that went down at the time this album was recorded. Because "The Plastic Cow Goes MOOOOOOg" is a pioneer effort in many ways, an entirely new language had to be created for its production. According to composer/arranger/performer Mike Melvoin, "The public misconception of the Moog synthesizer, in my opinion, is that it's a bloodless, body-less sound-producing machine. This came to be the case because so many Moog albums, in the past, have relied on Moog effects rather than communicative musicianship for their foundations. This album is based on musicianship, performances, and repertoire more than effects. I think it's the first pop electronic album with a soul. It's a very human electronic album."

Just what is a Moog synthesizer? It's an electronic device that can create the four different basic sound waves with their characteristic tambours. After the initial production of the basic sound wave, a variety of different modulation devices enable the player to create innumerable different sounds and effects. The sounds of "old" standard musical instruments can be simulated, but more importantly, as in this album, entirely new musical instruments can be created.

The first recording session for this album produced the rhythm tracks for all the cuts.

Guitarist Dennis Budimir, drummers Paul Humphrey, Earl Palmer, and Colin Bailey, and Melvoin playing the bass register on the Moog laid down the rhythmic base for all the tunes. Future sessions involved Melvoin playing only the Moog as a composer/conductor "plays" an orchestra. The sounds in this album are within the ranges of all the standard musical instruments, but were not designed to duplicate their sounds.

Technical assistance was provided by Bernie Krause and Paul Beaver, electronic masters of the Moog synthesizer. They, along with producer Tom Mack, and Melvoin are the men responsible for the creation of the new Moog language needed to put together this album. Listen, if you will, for such onomatopoetic sounds as a "phased rubber band," a "glass shower," "damped bells," and a "soprano with a gurgle." They're there. You've never heard them before, but you will hear them again!

Mike Melvoin, originally from the jazz world, was the Musical Director of the nationally syndicated Woody Woodbury television show, and in the last several years has recorded with and for every major West Coast recording artist as a keyboard performer. One of America's most talented young musicians, he here makes great inroads in the electronic music field. The trail has been blazed, the sound has been phased. Sopranos with a gurgle . . . and listeners with an ear . . . may never be the same!
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2006, 09:40:38 AM »

All that came up was a page offering to sign up for their service.

SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2006, 11:03:31 AM »

That's a pop-up. Get rid of it and the download window will be underneath.

I got'em. Nice!! Thanks!!!  Grin

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2006, 12:02:03 PM »

I've got it now. Thank you.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2006, 12:40:25 PM »

This is really brilliant stuff.

Brian's Trip

b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2006, 07:24:31 PM »

I know!  This record totally rocks my socks.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx