gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:32:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has anyone ever come across a Reason patch that resembles Brian's late 60s piano  (Read 1416 times)
PaulTMA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2011, 06:08:09 AM »

?

In one's wet dreams could a Beach Boys equivalent of the Abbey Road Keyboards package be made available (or even possible), but I wondered if anyone ever found a sample that is fairly close to the piano heard on the late 60s home studios recordings?  Wouldn't it be good, as Nik Kershaw famously said.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 06:09:05 AM by PaulTMA » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 09:03:22 AM »

An email to Kurzweil might be worth a shot.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
TheManchesterMan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 02:37:13 PM »

I don't use Reason but have found that the "saloon upright" on my Nord replicates the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey era BBs sound pretty well. The HonkyTonk Upright is a good tack piano sound and the Chamberlain Harpsichord does a great impersonation of the Wonderful type of sound. Not much use if you don't have a Nord keyboard though, but they are well worth it if you can stretch to one (I did have to sell a Farfisa Compact and a Vox Continental as well as take out a loan to afford one but I don't regret it).
PaulTMA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 05:13:44 AM »

I don't use Reason but have found that the "saloon upright" on my Nord replicates the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey era BBs sound pretty well. The HonkyTonk Upright is a good tack piano sound and the Chamberlain Harpsichord does a great impersonation of the Wonderful type of sound. Not much use if you don't have a Nord keyboard though, but they are well worth it if you can stretch to one (I did have to sell a Farfisa Compact and a Vox Continental as well as take out a loan to afford one but I don't regret it).

I have the Abbey Road Keyboards for Reason - absolutely great, only a small range of keyboards but you'd have to be a bit demanding to expect much more in one package.  A Nord was twice as expensive as I could have afforded when I bought a stage keyboard.

Either way, I'm still yet to come close to finding something that sounds close to the SS/WH piano, which I'm sure I'd use all the time.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 09:33:44 AM »

I'm not a great expert on programming such things, but in theory it wouldn't be that hard to make a sample; just make two copies of some already existing bright grand piano sample, and start detuning them to taste, combine the original with the detuned one, and you'd basically be doing what Brian's tuner did acoustically.
TheManchesterMan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 02:47:58 AM »

This has probably been covered many times here so I apologise if I'm retreading old ground, but was the detuned Wild Honey piano a grand or an upright? It sounds more like an upright to me.

Also, what exactly was the harpsichord used on Smile? Was it an electric Baldwin? It sounds like one but the photos of Brian and Van seem to show what appears to be an acoustic instrument.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 03:26:19 AM by TheManchesterMan » Logged
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 04:15:28 AM »

This has probably been covered many times here so I apologise if I'm retreading old ground, but was the detuned Wild Honey piano a grand or an upright? It sounds more like an upright to me.

Also, what exactly was the harpsichord used on Smile? Was it an electric Baldwin? It sounds like one but the photos of Brian and Van seem to show what appears to be an acoustic instrument.

Mostly on Wild Honey, it was Brian's Chickering Grand, which was a gift from his Dad.

It seems that the harpsichord they were using was some double-manual job, certainly with a buff-stop.  I haven't seen enough of it to determine much else--though I guess at that time the harpsichord-maker market was probably less widespread than it is now, when you can order pretty much any kind of harpsichord you want.
TheManchesterMan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 04:20:41 AM »

Thanks, I did not know anything about the Chickering. Was this instrument confined to use in Brian's home studio only?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 04:24:13 AM »

Somebody needs to make a book about the instruments of the band because this topic is so interesting and detailed. The stuff used during pet sounds or smile would be amazing to read about,

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx