gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:11:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What are your favorite moments from The SMiLE Sessions?  (Read 3705 times)
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2011, 11:09:35 PM »

1. Isolated "Do You Like Worms" vocals on "Backing Vocals Montage"
2. "Columnated ruins domino" from "Surf's Up 67"
3. The end of "Vegetables Ballad Insert" where it's clear that Brian just did a beautiful multi-part harmony via overdubs.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 10:51:34 PM by doinnothin » Logged

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 11:26:58 PM »

Vega-Tables Chorus 1(master take) has become my version of what I call "The Be My Baby syndrome". I could literally listen to it all day and be happy.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 12:14:24 AM »

- I'm In Great Shape sessions. Amazing sound
- Heroes And Villains piano theme. 0:41. A beautiful chord sequence with the Bicycle Rider bass riff. It's a shame Van messes it up.
- Child Is Father Version 1. Groovy, hard and crystal clear.
- Barnyard backing track. Lovin' the kazoo
- Wonderful Version 1. Can listen to this forever.
- Surf's Up Talking Horns. Some incredibly psychedelic sounds here.
- Vega-tables Fade. Sweet melodies
- Da Da.
- Cool Cool Water version 1 and 2. Perhaps the coolest thing on this box
- Good Vibrations Inspiration. Love the fuzz bass here
- BACKING VOCALS MONTAGE. Obviously
- Surf's Up 67. Obvious too.. almost cried the first time I heard this one.
- Children Were Raised. With the organ. Aaaaa-rrumm  angel
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 03:12:48 AM »

Surf's Up '67 - Amazing.  Totally lived up to the hype.

Heroes And Villains: Early Version Outtake Sections - Love the edits here.  I think it's the best H&V track on the set.

The second chorus of Child is Father of the Man with the new vocals.

I Don't Know

Teeter Totter Love - I don't care what anyone says, this track is great.  Cheesy

I STILL haven't played the Good Vibrations disc...
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 03:33:15 AM »

1. Isolated "Love to Say Dada" vocals on "Backing Vocals Montage"

huh

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 04:43:25 AM »

- Heroes And Villains piano theme. 0:41. A beautiful chord sequence with the Bicycle Rider bass riff. It's a shame Van messes it up.
- Da Da.

Yeah that bit of the piano theme is one of my favourite bits too. I wonder if it's possible to edit a complete run through from the various stops and starts?

The Fender Rhodes Dada is my other top piece from the sessions. I could listen to that cyclical chord sequence forever and not get bored.

Also the Part 2 section that sounds a bit like Western Theme, The Holidays Session, the 'new bridge' session from GV, Windchimes version 2 sessions, The Veg fade and ballad insert sessions - there's just so much incredible stuff on here.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 05:26:01 AM »

1)Vegetables:Ballad Insert. Brian at his best.
2)Wind Chimes(Version 1),Well edited and presented from Mark & Alan:).
3)Holidays(Session), Never thought I hear this sessions so clearly.
sidewinder572
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 06:08:18 AM »

Chuck?: Give me a loud count

Brian: ONE, TWO
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 06:21:35 AM »

- Da Da.

Yeah that bit of the piano theme is one of my favourite bits too. I wonder if it's possible to edit a complete run through from the various stops and starts?

I thought about that too. Brian shows this little dreamy piece of music that's supposed to come right after the theme, very sophisticated and touching, and ofcourse mr Parks decides to interrupt.  Evil  Then Van's playing too loud to hear what Brian's playing. Maybe Mark and Alan have more of this?
I wonder what Brian could have done with that following the H&V theme, cause it's different chords from the Bicycle Rider chorus.

homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 06:29:08 AM »

1)Vegetables:Ballad Insert. Brian at his best.

Only listened a few seconds to this. It sounded too good so I'm saving it for later  Smiley
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 10:15:29 AM »

Maybe this is what you were talking about earlier, but I love that H&V piano bit that sounds very 1890s/Randy Newman--followed by the BBs doing a vocal harmony version of the same that could fit right over it.
Jason
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 10:22:24 AM »

huh

Just what I was thinking...where are they? Oh, right. They're NOT there.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 10:27:12 AM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 10:45:04 AM »

Just like I'm listening to the StackOVocals from Pet Sounds sessions, I find myself listening to the backing vocals montage over and over again.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 10:58:32 AM »

huh

Just what I was thinking...where are they? Oh, right. They're NOT there.

Bah! That's embarassing. I meant the end of "Do You Like Worms" I always mix that up with "Love to Say Dada" cause of the Hawaiian thing.

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 12:33:13 PM »

For me - Look. Tune X. Cool, Cool Water version 2, backing vocals montage and Wind Chimes. There's quite a lot that I'm amazed by and I haven't listened to it all yet!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 12:40:14 PM »

Maybe this is what you were talking about earlier, but I love that H&V piano bit that sounds very 1890s/Randy Newman--followed by the BBs doing a vocal harmony version of the same that could fit right over it.

We're talking about the track that precedes that I think, where Brian is playing a beautiful variation on the bicycle rider theme where he's backing it up with some amazing chords. That piece you mention is also one of my favourites on the set. It sounds like a variation of Prelude to Fade to me.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 02:01:06 PM »

i wish there was vocals to child is the father of the man, look, holidays & i love to say dada Smiley
but hey one can only dream.
prefect319
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 06:59:48 AM »

-the album mix because it just shines.  Played that a hundred times by now probably
-surfs up 67
-the  "disney" vocal section of heroes part 2 that never got finished. Man, imagine that finished. Beautiful
- "i knew if i searched i'd find it" during worms sessions. I love how determined brian seems.
-"thats our baby" from the second child session.
-brians sarcasm on dada sessions. It proves in my mind that he didn't really care anymore  and remember he canceled sessions around it
-teter toter love. Its absurd but its the sort of thing you get stuck in your head.
There are more but i can't think of them now.
thevigilanteoflove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 07:18:50 AM »

The Heroes and Villains album mix. The song has always been on that I just sort of ignored, but this mix blows me away.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 07:33:35 AM »

My absolute favorite songs thus far are:

Vega-Tables
Look!
CIFOTM
Do You Like Worms - sounds great in mono.
Teeter Totter Love - that backing track is killer, and Jasper's voice is perfect for it.
Tune X - not necessarily a profound song, but the strings sound spectacular on that track.
Surf's Up '67 - "columnated ruins domino" - just jaw-dropping. I felt like I was in a cathedral when listening to this song.

My favorite moments:

Heroes and Villains: Children Were Raised (mastertake overdubs mix 1)
Da Da (taped piano strings)
Good Vibrations: Western 6/18/66 (Part 1)
Vegetables: Ballad Insert
Surf's Up: Talking Horns
Backing vocals montage at the 6:32 mark. "Row Row Row" just sounds amazing.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 07:47:01 AM »

Highlights for me:

1. Surf's Up, both the 1966 and 1967 renditions. I guess I've heard sync ups of Brian with the track before, but having the 1971 elements sound so clear and proper is just really cool.

2. Vega-Tables. I already liked the 2004 version and Purple Chick's reconstruction, but hearing both "Sleep a Lot" choruses was a ton of fun, and the track itself has never sound better.

3. Pretty much everything in the Backing Vocals Montage. I had the dumbest grin on my face when the Cabinessence "over and over" vocals showed up. Spine-tingling.

4. Wind Chimes. Wow. This was my favorite track on BWPS, because of the structure and the way the drums sounded. Mark and Alan did a really great job of opening this version up and channeling that same power.

5. And for that matter, the entire last movement of CD1. Fire has never sounded creepier, Dada is crisp and the fly-ins work great, and Good Vibrations really sounds like it could've always been an album closer.

Edit: And an honorable mention to Child is Father of the Man. Even though I still prefer the BWPS version, there's something really special about hearing those verse sections sound so pristine, and the new backing vocals are fascinating.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 07:51:03 AM by Austin » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 08:37:09 AM »

My favorite moments are the stuff that I haven't heard before.  Which isn't a lot......

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 09:03:20 AM »

Tones IS really cool--to me, it sounds like Penguin Cafe Orchestra, waayyyyyy before they ever existed...
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx