gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:49:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE - stereo mix by Barnshine  (Read 6466 times)
Barnshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2011, 04:38:42 AM »

Hi everyone,
First - if you want an "authentic" stereo Smile reconstruction in a great quality, I refer you to soniclovenoize's excellent remix.
My mix is an attempt to re-creat the Disc 1 version in stereo, but:
1. No cross-fades (you can shuffle my mix and creat your preferred runnning order)
2. No pitch corrected fly-ins (I don't like the sound of these, sorry... however, they will be presented in the extended Smile project)
3. All songs have proper fades restored.
4. In a couple of places I put some surprises of my own, just to make you SMiLE...

This is the first part of a larger project which will include *every* Smile master take, in mono and stereo, for all fanmixers to use  Smiley.
This version is 320kps mp3, the extended Smile project will be flac.

http://www.mediafire.com/?hwexk3pniol7ngd

(I don't know how legitimate it is to share it here, if there are problems I'll try to find some other way to share it).
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 04:49:49 AM »

Thanks! I'm downloading it right now, I look forward to listening to it.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 05:00:45 AM »

Excellent! - Me too.

Many thanks, Barnshine.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Jimmie_R
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 06:56:04 AM »

Gonna listen to this later! Cool!
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 07:26:42 AM »

Neat!  I'll give it a try!  Interested how you got the stereo Barnyard... 

tygerbug
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 03:06:37 PM »

How bout a Flac of this edit?
Barnshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 04:18:46 PM »

I'm now working on an "Alternate Smile Sessions" set as a sort of a companion to the official one.
It will be in flac and include:
1. This stereo edit of Disc 1 (including cross fades and fly-ins)
2. A mono re-construction of an "historical" Smile (12 tracks, no cross-fades or fly-ins).
3. More "clean" stereo/mono mixes of other songs.
4. "Fanmixers toolkit" - Smile bits and pieces in stereo/mono.
5. Vintage BW mixes of songs/sections.

How does it sound?  Grin
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 04:44:47 PM »

Hey, it's pretty good Barnshine!  Smiley  What you did with Barnyard, yeah that's the only thing your could possibly do, and it's not so bad at all.

Also, you could maybe even add the animal noises from Swedish frog?  Just as idea!  Smiley  

Also, As for your suggestion of a Historical SMiLE (which you know I'm a sucker for), I'd still think many of the songs would still be crossfaded, you know? 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 04:46:10 PM by soniclovenoize » Logged

Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 05:15:52 AM »

I'm now working on an "Alternate Smile Sessions" set as a sort of a companion to the official one.
2. A mono re-construction of an "historical" Smile (12 tracks, no cross-fades or fly-ins).

How does it sound?  Grin

Sounds very good, for me especially 2, 3 and 5. These are actually some of the projects of which I thought I might try to do sometime. I already started doing some basic mono and stereo mixes of some tracks. I'm looking forward to hearing your versions!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 08:31:09 AM »

The end of "Surf's Up" drops in quality....is that from vinyl??

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 07:53:35 AM »

How does it sound?  Grin

Long time lurker, new member here.  I just wanted to say that I think this is a capital notion.  Like most fans, I'm over the moon about TSS, but this sounds like an ideal compliment to that set.  I'd love to get clean stereo mixes wherever possible, as well as some of Brian's vintage edits in the best quality.  I've done a few mixes in my day, but I'm a bit of a luddite when comes to the editing tools, so this toolkit sounds like just the ticket for rolling your own.    Cool Guy
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 08:09:23 AM »

Downloading now, loving the Stereo mix's being made

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 08:07:51 PM »

if Capitol went the pet sounds route and released a stereo version i'd be pleased.  i sorta expect it eventually.  I know not all the multitracks are available, but you can get around that in some ways right?  some of this stuff just sounds better in stereo, and certainly more modern
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 01:12:08 AM »

I too would love a Capitol Mark/Alan stereo version.

If a track or two in has to be in mono then so be it.

(Also VDP often deliberately used the odd 'low-res' track on his albums to good effect.)

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 01:19:19 AM »

I know not all the multitracks are available, but you can get around that in some ways right?

There's stereo for the sake of stereo with insufficient sources and then there's actual quality stereo mixing from multitracks. The two aren't always mutually exclusive, but often are in one way or another.

Also, can't really say I care about "modern" or not. I'm sure you weren't stressing that point or anything, but yeah, just sayin'.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
JCarson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 04:53:08 AM »

A bit late.. but thanks Barnshine for sharing.

I've got a huge sentimental commitment to the BWPS sequence (saw the SMiLE concerts twice in London) even though I know some of the songs probably wouldn't have appeared in the hypothetical 1967 album. Holidays (one of my favourite tracks... not sure why) is better without the Whispering Winds section flown in. I seem to remember PurpleChick doing a reasonable job on this... but that could be rose-tinted memory! Those post-BWPS fan mixes seemed great at the time (with the resources available), but will sound increasingly creaky in the post-TSS world!
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 02:37:49 PM »

wouldn't it make more sense to stay true to the actual brian-approved smile for disc 1
Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 12:11:56 AM »

Whatever became of this set? I was really looking forward to it!
Barnshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 02:57:24 AM »

I've been a bit busy for a while, plus I know P.J. is working on a similar set... but I'm pretty close to finish mine, so if you people are interested I'll take the time to complete and upload it.
Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 05:05:11 AM »

I'm definitely still interested in this project.  I've been holding off on trying to 'roll my own' and in some respects, TSS doesn't make it as easy as it could have.  I'm not really an expert when it comes to the technical details, so I'd appreciate the assist.  That Fanmixer's Toolkit sounded like just the ticket for me.

What do people consider to be the best editing software for a PC, particularly for a relative novice like myself?
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 05:42:47 AM »

Hi, I'm also still interested in this project, especially the vintage BW mixes compilation.

Tristero: I agree there's some tracks that I still can't edit myself easily from TSS. I'm also trying to do a complete overview of Smile, a bit like this project:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,850.0.html

The problem with the sources is that we now have more complete versions from bootlegs, or better sounding but edited/incomplete versions from TSS. Which to include? Maybe I should just go for a compilation of everything essential not including anything from TSS, that leaves out that problem.
About simple editing software: I use Audacity, but I only do simple editing and fades, and sometimes a mono mix down. It works fine for that.
Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 06:29:36 AM »

I'm pretty close to finish mine, so if you people are interested I'll take the time to complete and upload it.

Absolutely! Bring it on! (Please)
P.J.
Smiley Smile Associate

The least you could do is smile.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 07:18:05 AM »

I've been a bit busy for a while, plus I know P.J. is working on a similar set... but I'm pretty close to finish mine, so if you people are interested I'll take the time to complete and upload it.

Yeah, I haven't worked on any editing in over a week. The end of the semester is up and running so I am very busy.

"I heard the word -- wonderful thing -- a children's song."
TribinThatch
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 02:15:49 AM »

I'm really liking the feel of your mixes with longer instrumental sections such as the intro to Wind Chimes and Da Da. In fact longer versions the better for me because I think the backing tracks are soo beautiful.

Also, I'm only interested in stereo and I can't help thinking that next year, they'll release stereo and 5.1 versions (as they did with Pet Sounds). It's probably already in the can.

I also love your idea of a toolkit, so mere mortals such as myself can fool around with the sequencing of a playlist or simple edit. I think the Boxset missed out on this trick… or maybe not, perhaps that's another release for another day along with more unreleased sessions…
Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 04:15:09 AM »

Also, I'm only interested in stereo and I can't help thinking that next year, they'll release stereo and 5.1 versions (as they did with Pet Sounds). It's probably already in the can.
Man, I hope you're right about this, but I doubt it.  Part of this comes down to some of the rough sources they needed to turn to for some of these tracks.  Hell, we can't even get a stereo version of GV at this point, so it's hard to imagine tracks like Child or IIGS sounding right in surround.  Beyond that, I just don't think that 5.1 market ever took off in a big way, unfortunately, so I'm not sure it would be worth the investment in these lean economic times.

I had heard that they actually prepared a 5.1 version of Surf's Up at one point, but it's still in the can.  What are you waiting for, guys?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx