gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:15:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smile Back Cover Photo  (Read 2491 times)
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2011, 05:58:08 PM »

The commonly shown photo that was to be the back cover of Smile includes Bruce Johnston. I think I remember reading somewhere that he was unable to be photographed with the band due to a contract with another label. Is this true, and if so, how would that photograph have been able to be used?
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 06:02:24 PM »

The commonly shown photo that was to be the back cover of Smile includes Bruce Johnston. I think I remember reading somewhere that he was unable to be photographed with the band due to a contract with another label. Is this true, and if so, how would that photograph have been able to be used?

The contract issues I believe only extended through "Pet Sounds".  The legal problems that prevented him from appearing on the cover of PS didn't exist by the time the "SMiLE" back slick was put together.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 06:14:36 PM »

I think that contract issue is a real shame.  I think had Bruce been on the cover of Summer Days and especially on the iconic cover of Pet Sounds, he would never be thought of as a "second class" member the way he sometimes seems to be.
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 06:18:07 PM »

The contract issues I believe only extended through "Pet Sounds".  The legal problems that prevented him from appearing on the cover of PS didn't exist by the time the "SMiLE" back slick was put together.

Alright. Thanks for the info!! I remember seeing outtakes from the Pet Sounds photo sessions (and, I think the Summer Days shot as well) with Bruce in them), but remembered reading that his first appearance on a Beach Boys' record cover was Friends. While this is true, its somewhat misleading, as his picture was on the back cover of Wild Honey.

At any rate, I also find it interesting that the Smile rear photo didn't feature Brian.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 06:26:59 PM »

I think that contract issue is a real shame.  I think had Bruce been on the cover of Summer Days and especially on the iconic cover of Pet Sounds, he would never be thought of as a "second class" member the way he sometimes seems to be.

Well I would hope to the vast majority of us, there will always be six Beach Boys.  I love that shot that they used for the inlay of the SMiLE LP with all six of them and Mike in his huge cowboy hat.  That would've made a really nice sleeve for a 45 or something back in the sixties.

Come to think of it I seem to remember reading in one of my books on "Pet Sounds" (I think the Kingsley Abbott one) that Bruce was only blocked from appearing on the cover of Beach Boys albums.  Contracts like this can be very weirdly worded.

Point In Case: The Partridge Family in 1971 shot a commercial for Kellogg's Rice Krispies and it featured close ups of all of the cast with the exception of Susan Dey.  For years I wondered why Susan Dey arguably the second most popular member of the cast wasn't prominently featured in the commercial.  It turned out that Dey (a professional model before she joined the show) was under contract to a rival advertising agency and they would not allow her to be featured in close ups or seen endorsing a Kellogg's product.   

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 06:29:56 AM »

Wasn't that just for front covers ? Remember he appeared on the backcover of Pet Sounds

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 12:13:50 PM »

Alright. Thanks for the info!! I remember seeing outtakes from the Pet Sounds photo sessions (and, I think the Summer Days shot as well) with Bruce in them)
Yeah, he was there on the boat and there are some pictures of everyone that would have made a better album cover (although I can't believe that Al didn't go or they didn't cancel the photoshoot because he was sick).
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 02:41:01 PM »

Alright. Thanks for the info!! I remember seeing outtakes from the Pet Sounds photo sessions (and, I think the Summer Days shot as well) with Bruce in them)
Yeah, he was there on the boat and there are some pictures of everyone that would have made a better album cover (although I can't believe that Al didn't go or they didn't cancel the photoshoot because he was sick).

"F**k it, it's only Al, lets just do the shoot"
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 06:48:38 PM »

Wasn't that just for front covers ? Remember he appeared on the backcover of Pet Sounds
I remember Carl stating in an interview that they sneaked him on back cover since he was made up in Japanese garb and makeup.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 07:02:42 PM »

i've never thought as bruce as a second class beach boy.  That spread shot of all of them in that stable or whatever is how i picture the beach boys
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 07:18:13 PM »

That shot of all of them spread in that stable or whatever is how i picture the beach boys

D =

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 05:05:44 AM »

That shot of all of them spread in that stable or whatever is how i picture the beach boys

D =

And how many Kleenex do you get through?
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 10:16:16 AM »

Has anybody seen the "raw" version of this photo anywhere? I've only seen the high-contrast one on the album...
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 11:06:58 AM »

Has anybody seen the "raw" version of this photo anywhere? I've only seen the high-contrast one on the album...

I'd like to see that too..it's funny it hasn't turned up anywhere.

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 11:11:14 AM »

I remember Carl stating in an interview that they sneaked him on back cover since he was made up in Japanese garb and makeup.

He was also seen with Dennis at the piano. No makeup etc.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 11:54:27 AM »

"F**k it, it's only Al, lets just do the shoot"
Al wasn't there for the All Summer Long photo session either. They added his photos later.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx