gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:11:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE: Bring It On, Fanmixers.  (Read 48019 times)
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: December 09, 2011, 08:39:19 AM »

Here is a new CIFOTM mix inspired by seltaeb's SMILE AD Stereo Mix. It's not intended to be faithful but I think it sounds pretty cool. Please have a  listen if you like this sort of thing.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52684612/12_CIFTM_120211.mp3

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 09, 2011, 09:20:12 AM »

Looking forward to it!
Thank you! It will include a 6 mn Wind Chimes so watch out!
TerryWogan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 09, 2011, 12:06:23 PM »

Here is a new CIFOTM mix inspired by seltaeb's SMILE AD Stereo Mix. It's not intended to be faithful but I think it sounds pretty cool. Please have a  listen if you like this sort of thing.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52684612/12_CIFTM_120211.mp3

Liking the 'flown-in' extra vocals (and a bit of CWTL?) I'd really love to know what software and processes people use to extract such clean vocals. Can you let us in on your secrets? Razz
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 09, 2011, 03:46:52 PM »

I use the "Extraboy" VST

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 09, 2011, 07:56:55 PM »

How is anybody's 'Complete SMiLE sessions' coming along? I am really interested in either hearing someones or getting a walkthrough to it....
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 07:57:48 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 09, 2011, 08:19:47 PM »

I don't think I'd ever want to blend BWPS vocals with "real" Beach Boys vocals, but to me, the instrumental tracks are OK -- just like '66, it's music written and arranged by Brian Wilson, played by pros. So for "Child," I took the "tag" from the BWPS version (starting with the piano reprise/cello note) and just pasted right over the ending cello note of the BB "Child."

The tag on Child wasn't exactly written by Brian. Sure it quotes the "Surf's Up" melody but didn't Paul Mertens come up with the BWPS interludes?

HERE'S how I crossfade Child with Surf's Up... it works for me!
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 09, 2011, 11:18:22 PM »

Looking forward to it!
It sounds like it's going to be rather long-winded. Grin

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 10, 2011, 01:42:27 AM »

Looking forward to it!
It sounds like it's going to be rather long-winded. Grin
I'm actually working on a Smiley SMiLE blend of both songs! And I just realized that my only chance of having a stereo Wonderful is with using SOT 18 (stereo smiley smile version), so I guess that'll be a blend of both versions. I tried to slow down the speed of the SMile version backing track to adapt to the stereo SS version, sounds like it's gonna be difficult but possible.
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 10, 2011, 10:06:10 AM »

I don't think I'd ever want to blend BWPS vocals with "real" Beach Boys vocals, but to me, the instrumental tracks are OK -- just like '66, it's music written and arranged by Brian Wilson, played by pros. So for "Child," I took the "tag" from the BWPS version (starting with the piano reprise/cello note) and just pasted right over the ending cello note of the BB "Child."

The tag on Child wasn't exactly written by Brian. Sure it quotes the "Surf's Up" melody but didn't Paul Mertens come up with the BWPS interludes?

Interesting ... I think you made that edit one note too early, personally, and it's a little too abrupt a transition for me. I thought about trying to simulate the BWPS tag to "Child" using the TSS pieces for "Child" and "Surf's Up" 1st movement, but it would have been tricky, and the truth is, I was perfectly happy to use the BWPS recording of that tag. It fits very nicely to me, and I like the way it swells and fades (kinda like a wave) before "Surf's Up."

Also, as to the "authorship" of that tag -- it was music derived from Brian's compositions, so regardless of who actually put the notes on paper (I thought it was Darian, working with Brian), it's close enough for me!  Grin
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 10:08:41 AM by seanmurd » Logged

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
Barnshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 10, 2011, 10:36:55 AM »

How is anybody's 'Complete SMiLE sessions' coming along? I am really interested in either hearing someones or getting a walkthrough to it....

Currently working on final touches and edits, and hoping to post in a few days.
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 15, 2011, 04:37:45 PM »

Sorry my heads gone alittle

erm, has there been a fanmix of TSS with flown in isolated vocals/bv's from BWPS done?
if there is i'd love to hear it, is there one in stereo too?

thanking all the good work on here!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 15, 2011, 06:43:29 PM »

erm, has there been a fanmix of TSS with flown in isolated vocals/bv's from BWPS done?

http://icreateification.blogspot.com/2011/11/smile-ad-stereo-mix.html
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 15, 2011, 09:03:40 PM »

http://icreateification.blogspot.com/2011/11/smile-ad-stereo-mix.html

No Holidays? Sad
great effort tho!
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 21, 2011, 04:09:12 PM »

Has anybody else attempted flying in BBs "rock, rock roll" vox on Holidays?  JMZ did that, as I recall, but it was pre-TSS and of overall low fidelity (though the fly-ins themselves sounded great).
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 21, 2011, 04:28:56 PM »

Has anybody else attempted flying in BBs "rock, rock roll" vox on Holidays?  JMZ did that, as I recall, but it was pre-TSS and of overall low fidelity (though the fly-ins themselves sounded great).
I recently tried out this Worms/Holiday edit and used some of  the BWPS vocals over the '66 track. This was my first trip to the dark side of using BWPS vocals, but they blend in OK and I think it turned out pretty good. The BB vocals just don't have the same spirit as the BWPS vocals unfortunately. It's here if you want to have a listen:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52684612/Do%20You%20Like%20Worms.mp3

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 21, 2011, 09:07:33 PM »

Interesting ... I think you made that edit one note too early, personally, and it's a little too abrupt a transition for me.

try THIS ONE
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 22, 2011, 12:08:23 AM »

I was going over and over the acapella "rock, rock roll" vox from the Backing Vocals montage from TSS tonight, seeing if they could be fit to Holidays, but you have to transpose them down about 5 steps to where they sound ridiculous.  The weird thing is that in JMZ's mix, it's like he's got them singing a different interval and they aren't as "slowed down" sounding as a result.  Like rather than the root and the major third (as on TSS, DYLW itself) it's the third and the fifth of the same major chord, transposed accordingly (I'm getting beyond the limits of my theory vocabulary here).  I don't even know where or how he got his isolated vox pre-TSS, or whether he ran them through some really heavy manual re-pitching, rather than just transposing the whole thing up or down.  I wish he posted more and could explain what he did...
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 22, 2011, 07:38:44 AM »

Interesting ... I think you made that edit one note too early, personally, and it's a little too abrupt a transition for me.

try THIS ONE

I like it!

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 31, 2011, 04:43:44 AM »

The basic mixes/reconstructions I made so far:

Gee - mono/stereo mixes without horn part, just a fade out
Heroes And Villains Part 2 - structure from new Part 2 mono mix, but using stereo sections from TSS
Heroes And Villains Stereo mix - 2nd chorus error fixed using the 1st chorus
Do You Like Worms - Complete fade restored
I'm In Great Shape - Mono/stereo mixes of the master take without the fly ins
Barnyard - edit using the sections with backing vocals and non of the fly ins, and a small part from the instrumental take
The Old Master Painter - Instrumental first part replaced by the same take (as TSS mono mix) from the sessions, to avoid the cross fade. I made the edit to the vocal a bit earlier, more like the original mono mix with vocal from '66.
Look - stereo mix
Child Is Father Of The Man - stereo and mono backing track like '66 mono backing track, 3-minute mono mix using TSS edited like '66 backing track
I Wanna Be Around - mono mix faded out.
Holidays - stereo mix, mono mix with original fade from the stereo master take
Wind Chimes - TSS sources edited like GV Box Set and the structure of all '66 mixes. THe extra instrumental bars edited out, and the fade is from the sessions disc, which is the same fade as the GV Box.
Water Chant - mono mix faded out.

I still want to make a few more basic mixes, Vega-Tables for example. I want to avoid the cross-fade and the extra instrumental bars if possible, are there any ideas on what the best way is to achieve that? I already tried to edit the first bars out, and it only seems to sound OK when I use a small fade in, which I actually try to avoid...
mrralan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 31, 2011, 03:21:55 PM »

What 2nd chorus error?
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: December 31, 2011, 08:16:29 PM »

I still want to make a few more basic mixes, Vega-Tables for example. I want to avoid the cross-fade and the extra instrumental bars if possible, are there any ideas on what the best way is to achieve that? I already tried to edit the first bars out, and it only seems to sound OK when I use a small fade in, which I actually try to avoid...

What parts specifically?  I was able to edit out some things and insert a second of the tracking sections to replace were the residue of the crossfade would have been.  Does that even make sense?  :/

Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 01, 2012, 12:33:02 AM »

What 2nd chorus error?

There is a strange edit/click noise just a little moment after the 2nd chorus has started, and the first one doesn't have that.
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 01, 2012, 12:36:32 AM »

What parts specifically?  I was able to edit out some things and insert a second of the tracking sections to replace were the residue of the crossfade would have been.  Does that even make sense?  :/

Hi soniclovenoize, first of all thanks for your fan mix!

Yeah, I also did that but Vega-Tables originally started with the vocal straightaway originally. I'm afraid that edit is only possible using a small fade in, but for just a clean start it is indeed an option to use a bit of the tracking sessions.
mrralan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 01, 2012, 10:48:25 AM »

There is a strange edit/click noise just a little moment after the 2nd chorus has started, and the first one doesn't have that.

I don't hear it.
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 01, 2012, 11:22:40 AM »

I don't hear it.

It might be possible to hear it on headphones only, listen for it in the right channel at around 3:32/3:33.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx