gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:11:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE: Bring It On, Fanmixers.  (Read 47995 times)
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2011, 09:11:15 AM »

Here's a mono mix of CIFOTM, exactly like the instrumental mono from '66:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RLUD0ZD1

The chorus is from the CD 1 mono mix, the verse from the sessions (it was crossfaded/edited with the 2nd chorus on disc 1, so I coulnd't replicate a good edit into the 1st chorus), and the bridge from the sessions (the CD 1 mono mix was edited). The instrumental mono mix uses onyl half the chorus the last time, so I did that as well, using a small fade in because that sounded much better than a hard edit.

Enjoy, and if you think iI could improve some things, please tell me!

Really nice work Paul - I'd never actually heard the '66 mono edit, but this flows really well.  It finally feels like a complete song and not just random bits tied together by the chorus. 

What was the 66 mono edit?  I'm confuzzled as well  Huh

Hi Chris Brown, thanks for the nice words. JohnMill, on Secret Smile and Archaeology (lesser quality) there is an instrumental edit with this song structure. Sounds really nice in my opinion, and it is a vintage Brian Wilson mono mix.
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2011, 09:30:37 AM »

Does anyone know if there is a better quality stereo version of CIFOTM than the one on Alternate BWPS?
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2011, 12:25:37 PM »

Almost finished my Child mix with Can't Wait Too Long fly in's (blasphemy?) and segued into Surf's up 67
tygerbug
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2011, 03:21:13 PM »

I've heard what Adam78 is working on, which adds some isolated 2004 Brian vocals to the tracks. Some get a little buried, probably due to not being clean enough in the isolated versions.

Which begs the question of what the best ways are to get isolated 2004 vocals.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 03:42:40 PM by tygerbug » Logged
The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2011, 03:42:12 PM »

Almost finished my Child mix with Can't Wait Too Long fly in's (blasphemy?) and segued into Surf's up 67

Awesome idea!
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2011, 01:39:32 PM »

Two other mixes for my Basic Smile collection. Do You Like Worms - Like the CD 1 mix I only used the first part of the Bicycle Rider fade, but I used the sessions disc for the fade to avoid the earlier fade (of the 1st part of the fade). So I also didn't use the Cantina vocals at the end.

CIFOTM - Like CD 1 mono mix, but: without the piano part intro, since it was recorded months after the rest of track; I used the unedited bridge from the sessions disc (fold down); I used the verse from the sessions disc (it was edited and slightly crossfaded with the 2nd chorus on the CD 1 mono mix) and the first chorus for consistent sound and sound quality (but I still really like those new vocals from the 2nd chorus!). I edited the last note of the track from the 2nd chorus to the last chorus in my new mix (a copy of the first chorus).
So actually, a basic edit with all the parts in the same order as the CD 1 mono mix, but without one section and some other sources.

The link for CIFOTM: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B5R4LWK1 (the link doesn't work for me now, I hope it will work soon)
I'll upload DYWL to megaupload tomorrow.

Enjoy,
Paul
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2011, 03:26:57 AM »

I was trying to edit a basic stereo Fire, but I noticed that unfortunately take 2 (one of the three used takes, along with 9 and 18) was not included with the Fire sessions track on the box. It is included on bootlegs but take 9 wasn't...so the only thing that could be done was to make an edit of take 1 and take 9 and 18. This is the closest we can get to a complete stereo The Elements: Fire. If anyone's interested, PM me and I will send you a download link.

I used the structure of the '66 mono mix, not the new one. The new one includes one more verse before take 9 starts.
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2011, 09:06:02 AM »

Another track: Wind Chimes, basic stereo version. I downloaded a lossless vinyl rip (I can't transfer the vinyl to my computer) and after the chorus I used the stereo tag from the sessions disc, faded out at the end. If you're interested to hear it, PM me. Somewhere in the next few days I'll make one download of all the tracks I mixed untill now.
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2011, 11:20:58 AM »

OK, I'm ready to collect all the mixes I've made into one Basic Smile cd, but I need some small advice. Do you think I should insert 2 seconds (or something like that) of silence after each song in Audacity? I'm not presenting the tracks in a sort of album way (I might do that with some other projects!) but maybe maybe in chronological order. I could insert the 2 s. silence, to not let some tracks start right after the fade out of the previous track. But maybe some people might want to use some of the mixes in a fan mix and than they have to delete the 2 s silence after each track because they want to start the next track right after the other!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2011, 08:28:49 AM »

OK, I just rearranged the order of the tracks to what I feel provides a better flow- I do not have any of the editing software needed to breakdown individual parts and what-not. I have ideas in my head for when the time comes to make a great mix in that vein, but for now, this is the best I can do-

1. Our Prayer (20/20 stereo)

(skip gee- don't like it as a track, and I feel it is a turn off for anyone who have heard the hype and are listening to SMiLE for the first time. After a spiritual invocation, ready, wait, we get, Gee!!) No, let's just cut right to the chase and into...

2. H&V (Box Set stereo)

3. Cabinessence (20/20 stereo)... The Listener is now hooked, and it continues the Western theme. Besides, isn't the third track to any album supposed to be the best?!

4. IIGS (Box Set)

5. Barnyard (Box Set)

6. TOMS/YAMS/BS (Box Set)... Flows better into the Boy-Girl part of the album than Cabinessence.

7. CWTL (a capella form Hawthorne)

8. Wonderful (Box Set)

9. Look (Box Set)

9. CIFOTM (Box Set)

10. Surf's Up (Box Set)

Side 2

1. Vega-Tables (Box Set stereo)... Great way to start off side 2 of any record.

2. DYLW (Box Set)... would only take out the voices at the end and replace it with the BR theme fade out.

3. Holidays (Booted version)... I have no idea where this version came from but it sounds way better than the mono box version. It is in stereo sans voices at the end. I actually dig the voices but do not have a version with them in a clarity I like.

4. Wind Chimes (Box set stereo)

5. Fire (Box Set )

6. IWBA/ Workshop (Box Set)... I wasn't sure where to put his song other than anywhere's except after Surf's Up. So I did what others have done and put it after the Great Fire- Wow...I should've done this a long time ago. Also it segues perfectly into Fall Breaks- Give it a shot!

7. Fall Breaks (Smiley Smile)... I know it's been discussed ad infinitum, but I put it in my mix because it sounds "earthy" to me.  Razz

8. ILTSDD (Box Set)

9. GV (Box Set)

10. You're Welcome (Box Set stereo)

.....bonus

1. Surf's Up (67 vox)

2. With Me Tonight (Smiley Smile)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 08:37:22 AM by noname » Logged
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2011, 03:16:41 PM »

my afternoon of synching 2004 BWPS with the new tracks is at an end....

i've managed to get barnyard, DYLW, look, holiday, dada and CIFTM done. i'm pretty darn pleased with them so let me know if you'd like a listen. i've basically only used the vocals i could get that don't end up sounding like its obviously just the 2004 version pasted over it. as with any music made, i'll probably come back to them tomorrow and hear adjustments to be done but these versions may well end up being the ones i listen to now...

Where or when can we hear these!?

This is exactly what I was hoping someone would do!  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 03:12:00 PM by Tricycle Rider » Logged

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2011, 04:56:41 PM »

Would anyone be interested in a version of my stereo SMiLE, but in the BWPS 2004 sequencing?  Someone I think requested that... 

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2011, 05:04:14 PM »

Moi, si vous plait.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2011, 09:20:48 AM »

Uuuuuuuuuuuuhhhh OK

http://www.mediafire.com/?ln795f8mq41b4tg

There's my stereo mix rearranged and put back together again as the sequence from BWPS.  Not may favorite, but there's some really cool ideas of how it should go together.  Includes artwork and notes. 

Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2011, 07:22:33 AM »

I'm still working on my own disc of Smile Basic Mixes, but in the meantime I was wondering if someone already made a 'basic' Surf's Up from the new stereo version  of the '66 demo with the backing track? So basically like the stereo vinyl version but than without the bygones and some other backing vocals. (And possibly without the CIFOTM coda, but there can be a version with and one without that part)

I'll try to mix a version like this, but I'm not very experienced in this sort of synching in Audacity, so other people will do a better job undoubtedly.
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2011, 08:15:50 AM »

I'm still working on my own disc of Smile Basic Mixes, but in the meantime I was wondering if someone already made a 'basic' Surf's Up from the new stereo version  of the '66 demo with the backing track? So basically like the stereo vinyl version but than without the bygones and some other backing vocals. (And possibly without the CIFOTM coda, but there can be a version with and one without that part)

I'll try to mix a version like this, but I'm not very experienced in this sort of synching in Audacity, so other people will do a better job undoubtedly.
You mean the newly found alternate version or the usual piano/vocal demo?  That new one wouldn't work at all, the tempo and rhythm is way off.  

But if you mean the piano/vocal demo and the instrumental tracks, yeah I could make you one.  
oh my god so much work, just use the one I made a few years ago on the Authentic Mix  Razz
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 08:34:39 AM by soniclovenoize » Logged

UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2011, 08:26:36 AM »

I'm still working on my own disc of Smile Basic Mixes, but in the meantime I was wondering if someone already made a 'basic' Surf's Up from the new stereo version  of the '66 demo with the backing track? So basically like the stereo vinyl version but than without the bygones and some other backing vocals. (And possibly without the CIFOTM coda, but there can be a version with and one without that part)

You mean the newly found alternate version or the usual piano/vocal demo?  That new one wouldn't work at all, the tempo and rhythm is way off.  

But if you mean the piano/vocal demo and the instrumental tracks, yeah I could make you one. 

That would be absolutely ace. The Annie Wallace mix is my all-time favourite - using the newly available material, almost bringing that mix up to date, would be great. Much as I dig the new version, you can't beat the Wallace mix for its sync.
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2011, 10:00:47 AM »

Another mix/edit I did is The Elements: Fire, taken from UM 17, edited and amplified. I think this is how the track would have sounded in 1966/67 and might be the finished mix for the track (it was edited and overdubbed). I edited out the count in, amplified the track by a few decibels, and I think this might be my new favourite The Elements: Fire mix!
NOLA SMiLE
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2011, 10:36:34 AM »

Here's my sync of Love To Say Dada / In Blue Hawaii

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0ulMHBzd94

Fantastic !

i'm starting to get excited about the various fanmixes that some of you very talented folks are creating.  Such work is totally appropriate for a work like SMiLE, because on such a work, the composer/author must at some point abandon valid alternative versions and settle on a "finished" product.  Unfortunately, some of the abandoned work or parts are going to be outstanding alternatives that some will find to be superior to the "finished" product.

Sometime after BWPS, I downloaded a fanmix from someone calling himself "Grooveblaster".  There were three files, one for each movement.  I found myself listening to this fanmix as much or more than BWPS, because I liked hearing the BB vocals, which were mixed in where possible.  The content of Grooveblaster's piece mirrored BWPS with regard to song sequence and length.  Does Grooveblaster post here?   His work is a great example for me with regard to how much a fanmix can be enjoyed by fellow fans.

I don't have the capability to make fanmixes.  I certainly enjoy the work of those who do.  I encourage you in your work, fanmixers.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2011, 10:49:47 AM »

Thanks!
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2011, 03:07:23 PM »

Has anyone heard the recent audio interview with Linnett?  He pretty much straight out states that they knew people were still not going to accept their construction of SMiLE on disc 1, so they intentionally left enough material on that and the other discs so that we all can continue to make our own SMiLE mixes. 

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2011, 03:59:44 PM »

Has anyone heard the recent audio interview with Linnett?  He pretty much straight out states that they knew people were still not going to accept their construction of SMiLE on disc 1, so they intentionally left enough material on that and the other discs so that we all can continue to make our own SMiLE mixes. 

Well Linett is smart enough to realize that there is a portion of the fanbase that doesn't consider BWPS to equal The Beach Boys: SMiLE. 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2011, 08:13:43 AM »

Is the maker of this great Truck Drivin' Man isolation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dje0M5b_9M) a member of this board? I sure would love to have a lossless version, as I'm working on a alternate stereo Cabin Essence right now and I want to highlight this part. Any help is appreciated!
Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2011, 08:28:34 AM »

Right, the "roll your own" credo, though he kind of undercuts that when he says something like "You could paint a mustache on the Mona Lisa..."  And they didn't always make it easy to do with the cross fades on Disc 1 or by not always breaking out the clean master take (or in some cases not including them at all, though I know that some have gone missing over the years).

FWIW, though I might quibble with this or that decision, I do accept disc one as "the official version" and think it's pretty damn successful for what it is.  But is it my own ideal SMiLE?  No, I'm still workin' on that one. . .
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2011, 09:46:40 AM »

Does anyone know if it is in any way possible to isolate the clarinet line in the chorus of "Song for Children" aka Look (the 2004 recording)? Can it be OOPsed or something?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx