gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:10:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE: Bring It On, Fanmixers.  (Read 48002 times)
adam78
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2011, 03:50:03 PM »

i managed to split the wonderful version 2 into seperate parts, and then...wait for it because some of you are gonna hate this.....i managed to autotune just the carl vocal. sorry, it was soooo bad that i could barely listen to what is an interesting take on the song. i then remixed it back together and sounds awesome! i love it.

i've also done a sync with CIFTM. Took the opening from the cd and synched the best take of the first verse backing from the box version 1. kept with the plan of chorus first and starts better for me. i love that too.

oh, i also edited the first verse of DYLW with bicycle rider being sung. I know it's supposed to be ribbon of concrete but i prefer a lead vocal instead of just backing vocals there. at least the melody is exact to what it would've been.

i'm gonna spend some time, thought and effort on this now we have amazing source material. i want to be able to give someone i know the definitive version of everything i love about smile music to try and convert them.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 04:01:36 PM by adam78 » Logged
tygerbug
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2011, 10:47:29 PM »

No 2004-inclusive mixes?

It's a shame that these are usually done by lesser talents. Done properly we'd have a much more complete piece.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 11:22:46 PM by tygerbug » Logged
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2011, 10:53:30 PM »

i like all of em from the box Smiley but the only problem i have that will never be "fixed" is that there are no vocals (verses or choruses) on look,child is the father of the man,holiday,love to say dada :/
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2011, 11:22:21 PM »

*listens to Smiley Smile*

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2011, 03:51:14 AM »

If anyone has made a decent stereo mix of the album, why not send a PM my way  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2011, 03:53:01 AM »

Today I'm going to try to synch the Surf's UP 67 to the original backing track. There's a lot of chance it'll be a mess, but if I succeed there's also a lot of chance it'll sound incredible.
adam78
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2011, 05:07:41 AM »

No 2004-inclusive mixes?

It's a shame that these are usually done by lesser talents. Done properly we'd have a much more complete piece.

i wasn't gonna do this but seeing this post inspired me. I've just isolated the lead vocal from barnyard on BWPS and then synched it to the barnyard master take. it's now the best version of barnyard i've ever heard! If ONLY they'd included the beach boys backing version i could have pretty much done it perfectly with everything we've heard! Darn! I'm gonna try and do a 2004/67 following BWPS as best i can as well as a 67 only version that has all the extras i'll put in myself.

if people are interested, i'll post it when done but not sure on any rules etc here.
adam78
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2011, 05:30:19 AM »

In fact...i've now just done DYLW. Again isolated the vocals from BWPS on the verses and synched to the disc 1 mono version. I'd already re-cut the first "chorus" to be "bicycle rider, just see what you've done" as i want as many original vocals as possible. But without wanting to sound like an idiot, i'm already loving these versions i've done and will definitely carry on to complete this project the best can.

Please let Me know if you're interested in what i'm doing?
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2011, 05:47:50 AM »

I probably might be!

I'm working on a stereo Child as I am writing.

First chorus is stereo vocals over the stereo-to-mono backing Track 17 CD3 (version 2)
Second chorus is mono vocals from Disc 1 over stereo backing track 16 CD3 (version 1)

We'll see. For now the first chorus sounds very good.
adam78
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2011, 06:42:55 AM »

Okay. I'm getting a little excited now! I've just done look and it sounds absolutely amazing to my ears. I'm very happy with the results and here's hoping i can extract the vocals only as well on all the other tracks. Look took quite a bit of work but i'm speeding through. Can anyone point me in the direction of the best version of mixing the new vocals with the old backings out there please, or name it? I'd like to do a comparison because i think Mr Linnett would be proud of what i've done already.

...and sorry, i'm new here, don't mean to be coming across like a show off. Just super psyched by the results...
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2011, 06:51:20 AM »

I've tried to synch the 2nd chorus with new vocals on both versions, they both sound super good (version 1 gave me a little bit of hard time though, because it's much faster but I got though), I've cleaned/eq'd/compressed these new vocals to make them sound a little less distorted.

If anyone want to hear either or both versions (and my recreation of the Whispering Winds fade in the right key), feel free to pm. We're gonna get though this all together!
The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2011, 07:07:20 AM »

*listens to Smiley Smile*

Ditto.  It's the only thing to put on after the box.  I put my vinyl Smiley in my box set, too.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2011, 07:38:09 AM »

Here's my sync of Love To Say Dada / In Blue Hawaii

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0ulMHBzd94
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2011, 07:43:57 AM »

Amazing!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2011, 08:23:01 AM »

Bravo, Bravo

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2011, 09:08:00 AM »

Amazing!

Thanks lads!
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2011, 09:26:48 AM »

Til now I had: 1st verse stereo (remastered from acetate) 2nd verse mono (remastered from the almighty disc 1)

I've just tried to mix them together ("new" vocals center, "old" vocals hard panned), I must say that I'm close to having an eargasm
adam78
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2011, 10:19:44 AM »

my afternoon of synching 2004 BWPS with the new tracks is at an end....

i've managed to get barnyard, DYLW, look, holiday, dada and CIFTM done. i'm pretty darn pleased with them so let me know if you'd like a listen. i've basically only used the vocals i could get that don't end up sounding like its obviously just the 2004 version pasted over it. as with any music made, i'll probably come back to them tomorrow and hear adjustments to be done but these versions may well end up being the ones i listen to now...
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2011, 10:34:26 AM »

Another thing I did today: a re-edit of the Child Is Father Of The Man CD 1 mono mix. The bridge used in that mix was edited, I used the complete version from the sessions disc (folded down to mono). The second chorus seemed to start a bit early, so I used the verse from the sessions (folded down to mono), made it last a little bit longer before the 2nd chorus vocals start.
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2011, 11:45:57 AM »

Just noticed that CIFOTM is in the same key as Surf's Up 67...now that gave me the wildest idea
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2011, 05:04:19 PM »

Serenade

Great Stuff!
tygerbug
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2011, 05:38:38 PM »

Adam, I'd love to hear your 2004 version! The best 2004/1960s mix is what I want to be listening to ....

Bruiteur did a version of Barnyard cleaning up the [60s] lead vocal [removing the piano from it] which really worked.

A little more out there now ... wondering if Little Pad and Cool Cool Water could be incorporated ... that is, making Love to Say Da Da, In Blue Hawaii, and Cool Cool Water one long track.
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2011, 05:45:40 PM »

Oh wow!  And I was rushing to be the first to use the boxset!  LOL:

I posted my reconstruction in it's own thread, but might as well mention it here too.  My SMiLE is complete stereo and uses 95% all SMiLE Sessions boxset as sources... 

SIDE A
1. Our Prayer
Synch of new boxset version and 20/20 version (I believe Mok did this already).  But mine pulls the stereo 20/20 version in the background of the mono boxset version, this making the 20/20 version the stereophonic reverb of the new one! 

2. Heroes and Villains (pt 1)
A recreation of the 3-minute Cantina version of H&V, using the new stereo bits from the boxset.  The verses are unfortunately in mono, but as soon as it hits "In the cantina..." it's stereo, up until "Three score five...".  Also, used the stereo Whistling Bridge, but faded the tape distortion from the mono mix in because, well, you gotta have that! 

3. Heroes and Villains (pt 2)
Recreation of the theoretical b-side, assembling the stereo bits, essentially the first 3 minutes of H&V Sections but with the full Swedish Frog.  Probably the easiest to do! 

4. Do You like Worms?
All of the stereo backing tracks form the box, synched up with the isolated vocal parts...  The "Kini waka poolah" part is the mono mix, with the isolated backing vocals synched up to create a stereo picture.

5. Wonderful
The new remaster of the mono mix with the isolated backing vocals synched up to create a stereo picture.  That's the best that can be done...  Sad

6. Look
From the boxset!  Hard edit from Wonderful, with the ascending bassline fixed to play in time with the first notes of Look.  Ending much like BWPS, chopping off the last 40 seconds or so and right into...

7. Child is Father of the Man
A synch of the stereo backing tracks from the boxset and the mono mix from the boxset, to create a stereo picture.  Oh look, the last two cello/bass notes are the SAME first two cello notes of...

8. Old Master Painter/You Were My Sunshine
Starts overlayed with the last bass/cello note of Child, as the ending perfectly matches with the beginning of OMP!  Again stereo backing track is synched with the mono mix to create a stereo picture. 

9. Cabin Essence
20/20 version.  1989 remaster is better than the GV box master.  Razz

SIDE B
10. Good Vibrations
A new stereo mix I made...  mono and stereo backing tracks synched up...  uses the verses from the early version with the Asher lyrics, but then switches back to the common chorus.  Also includes the full "hum dee dou" middle part.  4 minutes...   Shocked

11. I'm In Great Shape/I Wanna Be Around/Workshop
I rather liked the BWPS version, I feel it's one of the few things that seemed like they recreated what was originally intended in the song!  Starts off with a synch of the piano/vocal demo and the last take of the stereo backing track, hard edit to IWBA/Workshop with the workshop sounds starting left but slowly moving right, so those last 3 hits can become...

12. Vege-Tables
...The percussion on the right channel of Vege-Tables!  Although I kinda disagree how he designed this Vege-Tables (Ryan Guidrey's mix was THE mix if you ask me!) but He still did a fine job, so this is just the stereo mix from the 2LP

13. Wind Chimes
Just used the stereo mix from the 2LP again.  Linnett mixed it perfectly!

14.  The Elements: Fire
Stereo Fire intro with the channels swapped and edited into Mrs O'Leary's Cow, to that the whistles blend into the flutes (now in the right channel).  After three measures, crossfade into the ending edit (to be the fourth!)

15.  The Elements: Water
Starts off with the Unsurpassed Masters 16 Water Chant (best soundquality) and goes into a reconstruction of I Love To Say Dada utilizing the stereo backing track sessions from the boxset...  But instead of using the uninspired backing vocals in the Linnett versions, I instead synched up bits and pieces of the Underwater Chant from the boxset in the little pauses...  Also I took the flute and percussion flourishes from the alternate stereo tracking sessions of I Love To Say Dada.  The end result I think is a much more interesting track, an entirely different beast!  :D

16. Surf's Up
The stereo mix from the 2LP.  Just amazing.  I've seen people complain about it, but I think Linnett did a wonderful job! 

There it is.  You can dl mp3s or flacs of it in it's own thread.  Smiley

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2011, 05:55:01 PM »

Nicely done!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2011, 06:39:48 PM »

I knew this was coming.   5000 different versions of smile.  It was inevitable.  And not a bad thing.  Maybe the beginning of something new in the world of music; bands release modular albums.   Music that was intentionaly recorded to sequence according to the listners creative inclinations.  I've been messing around with this for years on BB mixes but now it seems it could actually become a mainstream band/fan interactive practice in the recording industry.  Give the listner choices in how song to song transitions are recorded; alternative musical chord changes and sequences that would "fit" in terms of key and instrumentation.  Seems perfectly in tune with the times.  Brian WAY ahead of the curve?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx