gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:33:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tune X and Gee.  (Read 6801 times)
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2011, 09:13:37 AM »

I think this has great potential. It would be quite amazing if there was a bit more work, I don't know, what do you think?

Tune X Instrumental mashed with Little Pad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHAf8zavRG8

I wanted to put the original tracks but someone made a great cover, much better quality (it's not mine)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2011, 09:30:08 AM »

I think this has great potential. It would be quite amazing if there was a bit more work, I don't know, what do you think?

I wanted to put the original tracks but someone made a great cover, much better quality (it's not mine)

Someone did a proper mashup of the original tracks and there was a ton of quite a few in certain spots. This one modifies the chords etc. to make it work, just as someone could do with several other Beach Boys songs that sound similar but are otherwise unrelated. I really don't think this one is a case of Brian re-using old musical elements - "Little Pad" is total Smiley Smile-era, from everything we've heard.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2011, 10:00:38 AM »

But doesn't Carl share a writing credit on Little Pad?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2011, 10:33:06 AM »

Someone did a proper mashup of the original tracks and there was a ton of quite a few in certain spots. This one modifies the chords etc. to make it work, just as someone could do with several other Beach Boys songs that sound similar but are otherwise unrelated. I really don't think this one is a case of Brian re-using old musical elements - "Little Pad" is total Smiley Smile-era, from everything we've heard.
Yeah he modified some chords but the harmony and the melody are all the same, he just transposed the vocal parts to fit the instrumental. When a simple transposition is the only modification to make two different songs blend almost perfectly together, I would be tempted to think it's not only a simple coincidence. The other mash up version had the instrumental pitch-shifted, whereas here the instrumental has not been touched and instead the singer (pretty good singer actually!) changed the vocal part.

My guess (with a little reserve) is that Tune X ma have been Brianized for the SS Sessions...

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 10:34:52 AM by Bleachboy » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 10:33:44 AM »

there was a ton of quite a few in certain spots.

WHAT?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2011, 10:38:41 AM »

But doesn't Carl share a writing credit on Little Pad?

The most damning evidence, really. You can cite Mike getting screwed out of credits, but this came to light later on, as did several other instances of incorrect credits. Never any claims of, "Yeah, Carl wrote the basis of 'Little Pad' but wasn't given credit," though.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2011, 10:40:36 AM »

there was a ton of quite a few in certain spots.

WHAT?

Dissonance! Tons of dissonance. Derp. Not any kind of interesting dissonance, either, just dissonance.

Yeah he modified some chords but the harmony and the melody are all the same, he just transposed the vocal parts to fit the instrumental.

It's more than that.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2012, 12:22:50 AM »

not sure why you're so opposed to the possibility of these two songs being closely related. Tune X was recorded in March of '67, Little Pad in June.

it sounds to me like Brian took the elements of Tune X and embellished them a bit. He gave it a melody and some extra chords but left the basic structure intact. He ended up with a song that was very similar, but unique enough to negate a co-writing credit for Carl.

or perhaps Little Pad was a subconscious reworking by Brian similar to what George Harrison did with My Sweet Lord.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx