gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680777 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 04:09:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The HV Single  (Read 2349 times)
groganb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2011, 03:07:27 PM »

So, I just got the box, but I have no turntable.
I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what HV Parts 1 and 2 on the single are. Are they something I have on the CDs? I know there's unique content on the LPs, but can someone fill me in on the HV 45 content?
Thanks.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 03:11:24 PM »

the first part is the one that has been released on cd with the 'three score and five" section and the strange flutterning sound effect..part two is basically the same as the H&V highlights starting with 'how i love my girl" going into the swedish frogs ect..the main differece is there are a couple of sections that are added to it and a differrent ending,,but it's 95% the same as the H&V sections fron the Good Vibrations box set......
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 03:13:32 PM by joshferrell » Logged
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 03:12:36 PM »

What Josh said. Part of the "Swedish frog" section is edited out (INCLUDING the words that sound like "Swedish frog"), and it ends with "Tag to Part 1."

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 03:13:11 PM »

If you have the 2-CD box set, the songs from the vinyl single appear on the second disc as H&V parts 1 and 2.

Those edits do not appear on the 5-CD set. (Some of them are part of larger assemblages of fragments, though.)

Part one is basically the "cantina mix" as originally featured on the SS/WH twofer and the GV boxed set. And part 2 is an edit of the H&V "also-ran" sections that have appeared in various forms.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 03:19:41 PM »

Yeah, every fragment that's on "part 2" is definitely on the CDs in the deluxe set; you can pretty easily "roll your own" Part 2...personally, I think the "part 2" mix is very pointless; I'm sure it's all speculation and influenced by Priore...not saying it's a BAD thing, but..I'll bet you it was only there to satisfy people who insist up and down that there MUST be a part 2.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 03:22:38 PM »

I'm sure it's all speculation and influenced by Priore...not saying it's a BAD thing, but..I'll bet you it was only there to satisfy people who insist up and down that there MUST be a part 2.

Man, I hope that's not the case. It would make me think a bit less of set's historical accuracy (first disc, as always, excepted).
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 03:38:37 PM »

moved
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 04:01:51 PM by tansen » Logged

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
groganb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 03:41:37 PM »

Thanks.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 03:56:08 PM »

Yeah, every fragment that's on "part 2" is definitely on the CDs in the deluxe set; you can pretty easily "roll your own" Part 2...personally, I think the "part 2" mix is very pointless; I'm sure it's all speculation and influenced by Priore...not saying it's a BAD thing, but..I'll bet you it was only there to satisfy people who insist up and down that there MUST be a part 2.

I'm convinced there was a part 2, but I'm not 100% convinced that what's on the b side of this single represents Brian's plans in early 67 (if he had finalised those plans). I believe Gee through to the dum dum dum section probably was the bulk of part 2 at one point, but after that I'm not sure. Tag to Part 1 for instance - why is that at the end of Part 2? I read somewhere a claim by Priore that Linett and Boyd followed Brian's original notes in putting Part 2 together but I haven't seen anything about it since. I suspect that the ending of Part 2 was just sequenced based on what sounded good, but I'd love to be proven wrong about this.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 05:11:41 PM »

I don't have the box yet, I'm interested to see the excellent documentation by Craig and Alanand how many H&V tracks are identified with the documentation.

My belief is the master numbers for H&V [A side] and H&V Part 2 [B side] are the key. Tracks that could be identified as part 2 but they would be part 2 of the H&V A-side master and weren't intended for the master for the B side H&V Part 2. Clear? Crazy?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
trismegistus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 05:33:35 PM »

I have to say my biggest disappointment with the set is "Part 2" since it really is just a handful of sections, and mostly the same handful of sections in the same order that we've had for years. Though of course, I'm still of the mindset that there never was a 'Part 2' back in the 60s and the idea of a separate song has simply come from confusion with how the tapes are named.

That being said, Part 1 remains my favourite Beach Boys song, so it's not all bad. And I love how the 7" looks.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 05:48:00 PM »

I'm convinced there was a part 2, but I'm not 100% convinced that what's on the b side of this single represents Brian's plans in early 67 (if he had finalised those plans). I believe Gee through to the dum dum dum section probably was the bulk of part 2 at one point, but after that I'm not sure. Tag to Part 1 for instance - why is that at the end of Part 2? I read somewhere a claim by Priore that Linett and Boyd followed Brian's original notes in putting Part 2 together but I haven't seen anything about it since. I suspect that the ending of Part 2 was just sequenced based on what sounded good, but I'd love to be proven wrong about this.

Going on memory: There was a comp reel that Brian put together of various H&V segments in December of 1966 (?) which was never listed as being "H&V Part Two" but was used by Mark Linett as early as 1988 in assembling the "Heroes And Villains (Sections)" piece that we've all come to know.  The only edit I believe that Linett himself made was to attach the ending of the 45 version of the song to the end of what was on Brian's comp reel so that the piece actually had some type of an ending.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx