gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:59:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ed Carter As The 6th Beach Boy  (Read 9261 times)
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 07:44:47 AM »

I respect and like Dave more than Bruce, but I think it would be historically more accurate to place Bruce before Dave. He's on Pet Sounds. He's on Good Vibrations. He's on Smile. He wrote songs for the band, something Dave never did (or didn't get them on albums).

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2012, 07:55:28 AM »

Bruce had some nice vocals back in the days, but letting him rejoin in 1979 was a big bummer for the band. I guess it came down to Carl giving up on being progressive and Dennis was falling apart at that stage. Brian prob didnt notice even.

Result was bad mixing of LA and after that Bruce never did anything for anyone again apart from wearing short shorts and going for the full armswing clap on California Girls in concerts. Baddie Bruce. Also the entire 5 songs he provided the band with were all subpar in context with what the others were writing at the time. Take Sunflower/SU as an example.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2012, 09:05:56 AM »

I always thought that the Beach Boys should have done the following. Let Carl and Al produce the last Warner's LP. During that time, Brian should have been placed in an in-patient setting for at least 6 months to really try and understand his illness. Someplace good, like UCLA (which is where Melinda finally took him for a complete workup). Once that was over with, Brian could have continued working with the group thru their CBS deal and then gone off on his own or remained. The problem was Carl was doing hard drugs with Brian and Dennis, Mike wanted to fire them all and Alan was asked to produce as a last resort. Alan tried to record a Beach Boys sounding LP, but as he himself said, the material wasn't there and the location recording sucked. SO you have what you have.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2012, 09:50:07 AM »

Bruce had some nice vocals back in the days, but letting him rejoin in 1979 was a big bummer for the band. I guess it came down to Carl giving up on being progressive and Dennis was falling apart at that stage. Brian prob didnt notice even.

Result was bad mixing of LA and after that Bruce never did anything for anyone again apart from wearing short shorts and going for the full armswing clap on California Girls in concerts. Baddie Bruce. Also the entire 5 songs he provided the band with were all subpar in context with what the others were writing at the time. Take Sunflower/SU as an example.

Bruce was crucial for the Love-Melcher partnership. Without Bruce, Melcher would not have entered, I think. Some may think that was bad, I don't. And we probably would not have a celcebration today if the likes of Melcher had not helped keeping the BBs alive.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2012, 11:18:31 AM »

Melcher, unfortunately, was way past it when this happened.

Honk! Honk!
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2012, 11:21:46 AM »

Nope.  David made a greater contribution to the nascent BB sound than Bruce did - and i'm saying this as someone who thinks Disney Girls is one of the best BB tracks and as someone who (shudder) likes Tears in the Morning...

Honk! Honk!
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2012, 11:30:17 AM »

Nope.  David made a greater contribution to the nascent BB sound than Bruce did - and i'm saying this as someone who thinks Disney Girls is one of the best BB tracks and as someone who (shudder) likes Tears in the Morning...

You know what, I agree! My mind still says Bruce's contributions are greater (in size, not necessarily better), but my heart's with Dave. Dave was their friend. Dave was from Hawthorne. Dave seems genuinely nice. He's the sixth Beach Boy. Heck, on a weak moment I might place him fifth!

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2012, 02:29:44 PM »

1 = Brian
2 = Dennis
3 = Carl
4 = Mike
5 = Al
6 = David (I'm talking in terms of contribution, not longevity)
7 = Bruce
8 = Ricky
9 = Blondie
10 = I'd be tempted to go for Daryl Dragon - maybe even before Blondie and Ricky.

Should Ed go before or after Billy Hinsche?

I think it's nuts to put Mike anywhere but 2nd.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2012, 05:03:22 PM »

1 = Brian
2 = Dennis
3 = Carl
4 = Mike
5 = Al
6 = David (I'm talking in terms of contribution, not longevity)
7 = Bruce
8 = Ricky
9 = Blondie
10 = I'd be tempted to go for Daryl Dragon - maybe even before Blondie and Ricky.

Should Ed go before or after Billy Hinsche?

I think it's nuts to put Mike anywhere but 2nd.

With all due respect and admiration for the younger Wilson brothers, I agree. And with all respect to the Dennis Wilson fans, I'd put Carl above Dennis in that list.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx