gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680839 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 04:48:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ed Carter As The 6th Beach Boy  (Read 9322 times)
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2011, 10:05:17 AM »

I seem to remember Bruce stating that back in the early 60's when he was asked to find a touring replacement for Brian, he asked Ed Carter if he was available to do it.  Ed wasn't able at the time, and of course Bruce ended up being the sixth Beach Boy.  Does anyone know for sure if this is true?  I wonder how Beach Boys history would be different if Ed Carter had become a Beach Boy instead of Bruce.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 10:16:55 AM »

Surfer Suzie would likely have been on KTSA.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 10:52:31 AM »

I thought it was James Griffin.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 04:01:09 PM »

Bruce went to grammar school with Eddie Carter, and I've seen or read him say in more than one interview that he asked Eddie if he wanted the Beach Boys gig, but Eddie was busy studying for college exams and couldn't.  Eddie has also said that he was originally a guitarist, but switched primarily to bass at Bruce's suggestion...Bruce told him he could get more work as a bassist, 'cause there were fewer of them.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 07:46:04 PM »

One thing`s for sure, EC`s bass work was a huge part of why the BBs kicked so much ass live in the 70s!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 07:52:07 PM »

Ed Carter is certainly a great bass player.  Does anyone know what his vocal abilities are?
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 10:04:03 PM »

Bruce went to grammar school with Eddie Carter, and I've seen or read him say in more than one interview that he asked Eddie if he wanted the Beach Boys gig, but Eddie was busy studying for college exams and couldn't.  Eddie has also said that he was originally a guitarist, but switched primarily to bass at Bruce's suggestion...Bruce told him he could get more work as a bassist, 'cause there were fewer of them.

What? Who needs college? Quit and make millions, then you could afford to go back later if you wanted to. Of course, in the end, he did pretty well for himself.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 06:20:52 AM »

Has anybody ever heard Surfer Susie. If so what does it sound like lyrics wise.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 08:16:07 AM »

Has anybody ever heard Surfer Susie. If so what does it sound like lyrics wise.

No lead vocal was recorded, as far as I'm aware - the version SWD played me back in 1985 was track & bvs only. Refrain was "Tokyo Suzie came back a California girl".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 08:31:01 AM »

There was a lead put on there at some point, and I've heard it.  The basic gist is that it follows this Suzy Yamamoto, who apparently has a scholarship at UCLA and has rented an apartment in West LA.  Yes, They rhyme UCLA with LA there.  She meets a guy called "Malibu Dave" who informs her about monster waves, and I guess Suzie ends up pursuing said wave in lieu of her studies.

It's strong Al lead vocal, in any case.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 09:06:53 AM »

Excellent... either SWD forgot about that, or it was added after the main sessions.

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 09:43:57 AM »

Excellent... either SWD forgot about that, or it was added after the main sessions.

I don't quite remember, but I think it must have been a late addition.  Wish I had taken more notes at the time!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 10:33:16 AM »

I don't quite remember, but I think it must have been a late addition.  Wish I had taken more notes at the time!

C+ (must try harder).

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 03:32:35 PM »

Ed Carter is certainly a great bass player.  Does anyone know what his vocal abilities are?
I heard him sing one of the car songs at a David Marks show, around the time of the Landmark Dedication.  I think I remember him singing OK.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 10:59:08 AM »

There was a lead put on there at some point, and I've heard it.  The basic gist is that it follows this Suzy Yamamoto, who apparently has a scholarship at UCLA and has rented an apartment in West LA.  Yes, They rhyme UCLA with LA there.  She meets a guy called "Malibu Dave" who informs her about monster waves, and I guess Suzie ends up pursuing said wave in lieu of her studies.

Wow, those are Summer in Paradise quality lyrics.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 12:57:52 PM »

This rings a bell with me, too.  I remember thinking the lyrics were kind of lame.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 01:11:04 PM »

There was a certain understated majesty about them, I suppose.
MBE
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 10:04:42 PM »

When did Ed join and leave the touring band?
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 10:46:47 PM »

Wasn't it about 1969 or so that he joined? ...and was in and out of the band several times right through the mid-90s?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
MBE
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 11:11:39 PM »

Wasn't it about 1969 or so that he joined? ...and was in and out of the band several times right through the mid-90s?
He was there by 1968 and may have joined in late 1967. Just was curious if someone had dates.
Nicko1234
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 11:43:16 PM »

He sang Sea Cruise quite a few times with Al in concert if I`m not mistaken and didn`t do a bad job at all.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 11:46:43 PM »

X
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 11:48:59 PM by Jukka » Logged

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 11:47:37 PM »

What? Who needs college? Quit and make millions, then you could afford to go back later if you wanted to. Of course, in the end, he did pretty well for himself.

I can't understand. Same thing with Al Jardine and his dental school ambitions... WHAT KIND OF PERSON turns down place in America's number one band just to stay in school?

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2012, 03:23:55 AM »

I can't understand. Same thing with Al Jardine and his dental school ambitions... WHAT KIND OF PERSON turns down place in America's number one band just to stay in school?

Well, with Al it wasn't turning down a place in America's number one band as much as turning down a place in a band that had had one minor local hit with a novelty song.

As for Ed Carter, I don't know if these are his reasons, but when Bruce asked him if he wanted the job, that would have been around the time the draft for the Vietnam war started in earnest. I believe students (or at least some students) were given a deferment for the length of their course, and that alone would have been a *very strong incentive* not to quit.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2012, 07:03:39 AM »

1 = Brian
2 = Dennis
3 = Carl
4 = Mike
5 = Al
6 = David (I'm talking in terms of contribution, not longevity)
7 = Bruce
8 = Ricky
9 = Blondie
10 = I'd be tempted to go for Daryl Dragon - maybe even before Blondie and Ricky.

Should Ed go before or after Billy Hinsche?

Honk! Honk!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx