gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681012 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 12:52:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How Many TSS Boxes Do You Need (For The Truly Anal)?  (Read 4359 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2011, 08:53:44 AM »

Just a thought. I finally got hold of the box yesterday (having been ill a couple of days). It's still shrink-wrapped and all virginal, but this weekend I'll open it. Now, I thought: wouldn't it be nice to have another copy for keepsakes? And my next thought: Dear Don, this is a pretty egotistical thought. Even if I could buy a second box (which would be difficult, moneywise), would I do it? Or would it be a much fairer gesture to donate that money to a good cause (of which there are many, as we all know)? What would be the point? To make Capitol richer? To see TSS gain a better spot in the charts?

I sincerely think that having 'another one' is a bit hypocritical. Rationality says that I'd better burn all those treasures onto CD-R, seal the box again myself, and listen to the copies.

Your thoughts?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 09:06:04 AM »

Copy 'em onto your computer, make safety copies on external hard drives, put them back in the box and don't touch them. No need to buy two, unless you're one of those folks who like to invest in records to sell them later.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 09:06:49 AM »

buy it....  Smiley

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 09:16:59 AM »

buy it....  Smiley

LOL well, bro'... to store it on the other side of the big pond, for total safety?

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 09:20:27 AM »

Recession...What recession?  Cheesy

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 09:24:07 AM »

Yes buy another one by all means as long as you post it to poor me who can't afford even one of the 5cd box set. Many thanks in advance Wink
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 09:28:27 AM »

Why stop at 2, buy 5 and put 3 away for future sales on Ebay (as soon as the value increases at least 30% over what was originally paid), keep one sealed up and on the shelf for display, and open one for listening pleasure.

I'm thinking it may be a safer investment than the stock market looking ahead 5 years, actually, and a bit easier to dodge paying tax on the profit earned...

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 09:28:48 AM »

Nah...I say don't buy it.   I completely understand the logic though, being a fellow collector/super fan of many things including The Beach Boys.  But I think once the initial excitement over this release begins to wear off...you'll find that you won't really need that second, unopened box.  Sure it'd be a nice feeling to know there's a backup sitting there...but then what?  You're out $150, and your original copy is doing fine as it is.  The box isn't going out of print any time soon so there's no real urgency to nab an "extra one."  Again, unless you plan on selling it in 50 years and you want a pristine unopened copy, there's really no need to get another one.  My thoughts anyway.  Good luck on your decision!
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 01:55:37 PM »

I bought four deluxe boxes, two 2 cd sets and one stand alone vinyl set.  I have a problem, of which my family is well aware and happy to point out.  I didn't really mean to buy four box sets though, I forgot to cancel the first one I ordered from Amazon.com (forgot I even ordered it actually) and didn't realize my error until I got the notice that it had shipped, and obviously it was too late to cancel at that point.  Tis alright though.  I usually by extras of many neat-o items and manage to trade for other highly desirable items later.  Still have a bunch of extra RSD Good Vibes / Heroes 10", special BWPS Box sets, extra SOT cds etc.   
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 02:18:05 AM »

I bought four deluxe boxes, two 2 cd sets and one stand alone vinyl set.  I have a problem, of which my family is well aware and happy to point out.  I didn't really mean to buy four box sets though, I forgot to cancel the first one I ordered from Amazon.com (forgot I even ordered it actually) and didn't realize my error until I got the notice that it had shipped, and obviously it was too late to cancel at that point.  Tis alright though.  I usually by extras of many neat-o items and manage to trade for other highly desirable items later.  Still have a bunch of extra RSD Good Vibes / Heroes 10", special BWPS Box sets, extra SOT cds etc.  

So your parents were clairvoyant when choosing your Christian name, then.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 02:19:07 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 02:26:20 AM »

I bought four deluxe boxes, two 2 cd sets and one stand alone vinyl set.  I have a problem, of which my family is well aware and happy to point out.  I didn't really mean to buy four box sets though, I forgot to cancel the first one I ordered from Amazon.com (forgot I even ordered it actually) and didn't realize my error until I got the notice that it had shipped, and obviously it was too late to cancel at that point.  Tis alright though.  I usually by extras of many neat-o items and manage to trade for other highly desirable items later.  Still have a bunch of extra RSD Good Vibes / Heroes 10", special BWPS Box sets, extra SOT cds etc.  

lolololololol

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 06:16:05 AM »

buy it....  Smiley

LOL well, bro'... to store it on the other side of the big pond, for total safety?

not a bad idea....but not at my place...  Smiley

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 06:25:01 AM »

buy it....  Smiley

not a bad idea....but not at my place...  Smiley

Mr Mayo, actually I find that wry humour extremely courageous (in that I wouldn't have been able to come up with something as self-deprecating as this). Well done, and I mean that without any irony.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 06:26:35 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 06:40:24 AM »

buy it....  Smiley

Mr Mayo, actually I find that wry humour extremely courageous (in that I wouldn't have been able to come up with something as self-deprecating as this). Well done, and I mean that without any irony.

well done... indeed.......good one don  LOL

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 06:57:16 AM »

buy it....  Smiley

well done... indeed.......good one don  LOL

LOL LOL LOL (hadn't thought of this interpretation, being a Dutchman, at first... (   Embarrassed  slightly so  )

Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2011, 01:02:31 PM »

Sadly No.  Not rich at all, just a regular school teacher with two kids in diapers, a wife that isn't working right now and a car that recently died (twice).  I understand times are hard and that the box is a big purchase for some (me too).  But this was / is important to me.  I've spent years enjoying this music via sometimes less than legal avenues.  I promised Van Dyke (as he signed one of my smile cds and called me a pirate with an amused grin on his face) that when this material was legally released I would purchase several.  Did it with BWPS and now with the Smile Sessions.  I had to sell several rare items, but it was worth it.

Don't be satisfied with just the 2 cd set folks, make the necessary sacrifices and buy the the box.  You won't be sorry you did.  I managed to get several hundred dollars by selling some items that I didn't care much for on Kijiji and that funded my Smile Sessions multiple purchases!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 08:19:48 PM by Rich Panteluk » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 02:12:19 AM »

I bought four deluxe boxes, two 2 cd sets and one stand alone vinyl set.  I have a problem, of which my family is well aware and happy to point out.  I didn't really mean to buy four box sets though, I forgot to cancel the first one I ordered from Amazon.com (forgot I even ordered it actually) and didn't realize my error until I got the notice that it had shipped, and obviously it was too late to cancel at that point.  Tis alright though.  I usually by extras of many neat-o items and manage to trade for other highly desirable items later.  Still have a bunch of extra RSD Good Vibes / Heroes 10", special BWPS Box sets, extra SOT cds etc.   

Sadly No.  Not rich at all, just a regular school teacher with two kids in diapers, a wife that isn't working right now and a car that recently died (twice).  I understand times are hard and that the box is a big purchase for some (me too).  But this was / is important to me.  I've spent years enjoying this music via sometimes less than legal avenues.  I promised Van Dyke (as he signed one of my smile cds and called me a pirate with an amused grin on his face) that when this material was legally released I would purchased several.  Did it with BWPS and now with the Smile Sessions.  I had to sell several rare items, but it was worth it.

Don't be satisfied with just the 2 cd set folks, make the necessary sacrifices and buy the the box.  You won't be sorry you did.  I managed to get several hundred dollars by selling some items that I didn't care much for on Kijiji and that funded my Smile Sessions multiple purchases!

No need to explain yourself this way, Rich. But it makes for a nice story - I can so see VDP saying that...

Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 04:26:38 AM »

Well it looks like I'm actually going to own 2 boxes - not through choice though. Amazon Canada cocked up my order so it quite literally is a buy one get one free scenario - the joys of international ordering...  Grin

I've also got the 2CD set on the way but from UK's Amazon. I get to enjoy opening Smile another 2 times yet ha ha  Cool Guy

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 08:25:08 PM »

Well it looks like I'm actually going to own 2 boxes - not through choice though. Amazon Canada clocked up my order so it quite literally is a buy one get one free scenario - the joys of international ordering...  Grin

I've also got the 2CD set on the way but from UK's Amazon. I get to enjoy opening Smile another 2 times yet ha ha  Cool Guy

What does 'clocked up your order" mean?

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 01:44:22 AM »

Well it looks like I'm actually going to own 2 boxes - not through choice though. Amazon Canada clocked up my order so it quite literally is a buy one get one free scenario - the joys of international ordering...  Grin

What does 'clocked up your order" mean?

Ha ha - that's the swear word filter kicking in...remove the L from clocked...  LOL

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx