gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:24:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's favourite music  (Read 20461 times)
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2014, 11:09:28 AM »

There was an interview during the 70s where Brian said he loved George Harrison's and Ringo's solo stuff.

Man, the 70's really were a dark time for Brian...
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2014, 11:15:58 AM »

There was an interview during the 70s where Brian said he loved George Harrison's and Ringo's solo stuff.

Hey! Blast From Your Past is awesome!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2014, 11:23:07 AM »

Ringo (1973) is arguably the best Beatles solo album ever released.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2014, 11:37:11 AM »

Well, that's a great one as well.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2014, 11:50:22 AM »

Hell, I even love Goodnight Vienna!  LOL
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2014, 11:59:07 AM »

Hell, I even love Goodnight Vienna!  LOL
I gotta say, I've probably heard 97,32% of Ringo's solo (studio) output and liked most of it. Smiley He's a great drummer, a mediocre singer (at best) - but the coolest dude.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2014, 05:50:20 PM »

I've seen him say that he likes Pink Floyd's  Dark Side of the Moon.

Really? That is awesome!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Nicko1234
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2014, 06:05:12 PM »

There was an interview in Q magazine about 10 years ago where Brian listed all of his favourite singers.

I do remember there was a letter the following month criticizing him for having a terrible taste in music.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2014, 12:11:44 AM »

Dude, you read Q every month?Huh
Nicko1234
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2014, 12:24:26 AM »

Dude, you read Q every month?Huh

I read it about 10 years ago. Not since.

It`s possible that it was Mojo rather than Q though. Can`t remember.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2014, 10:07:49 AM »

He's a great drummer

You're joking right?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2014, 08:49:18 PM »

He's a great drummer

You're joking right?

I'm assuming you are. Since you know, anybody that knows anything knows Ringo IS in fact a great drummer. A drummer doesn't necessarily need to play like Keith Moon or John Bonham to be great.

Also, seeing as you're on a Beach Boys board, one would think you'd be understanding to the fact that flashy drumming isn't necessarily very important. It's about what fits the song.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2014, 08:59:40 PM »

Ringo's drumming isn't flashy, but is brilliant in the subtleties of his fills. Listen to 'Good Morning' or 'Day in the Life' and focus on the drums - they're incredibly hard to play, even if they don't sound that way.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2014, 11:14:12 PM »

I know what you are hinting at but you know, expressing large amount of emotion in singing doesn't equal to being a great performer. Sometimes, it doesn't even work (Joe Cocker, Tom Jones, Engelbert-sth., David Bowie) + you have to keep in mind that not everyone is gifted with such ability. If Ringo's voice is lifeless (not imo), he isn't to blame; there are lots of other criterias for liking (disliking) someone's voice, his being homely-comfy-friendly tone. No other singer, however emotive s/he sounds, will ever top his version of "...Help from My Friends". It's a fact.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2014, 02:22:43 AM »

Ringo's drumming isn't flashy, but is brilliant in the subtleties of his fills. Listen to 'Good Morning' or 'Day in the Life' and focus on the drums - they're incredibly hard to play, even if they don't sound that way.
Or "Rain". Or so many other tracks.

EDIT: I'm flabbergasted.. how is it even in question that Ringo Starr is a great drummer? Tongue
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 02:28:44 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2014, 08:44:06 PM »

Surfing the archives, I found this:

So tonight I attended a Q&A with Tina Weymouth and Chris Frantz of the Talking Heads, about the Talking Heads concert film Stop Making Sense. I'll try to present the information in the way it was described by Weymouth and Frantz.

They mentioned that during one of the three nights of filming (December 1983 at the Pantages Theater in Hollywood), Byrne had invited Robbie Robertson to see the show from backstage. He came with Peter Gabriel. However, their presence was ignored when Brian walked in, with Dr. Landy. Tina Weymouth was standing the corner, not wanting to talk to anyone, but then Brian said "I want to say hi to Tina," which was apparently an awkward moment.

I wish I could've explained that better, it was really funny when the told they story earlier today. But at least it's cool to note that Brian was a fan of the Talking Heads and that he was present for the filming of Stop Making Sense.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2014, 09:40:45 PM »

Or "Rain". Or so many other tracks.

EDIT: I'm flabbergasted.. how is it even in question that Ringo Starr is a great drummer? Tongue

^This^

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2014, 09:59:16 PM »

I'm opening a thread about Brian's favourite music and all I see is a page full of stuff about Ringo and arguments is he a great drummer or not...

Roll Eyes
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2014, 10:04:27 PM »

2 RiC: start from the 1st page, not the recent replies.

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 06, 2014, 10:12:33 PM »

I'm opening a thread about Brian's favourite music and all I see is a page full of stuff about Ringo and arguments is he a great drummer or not...

Roll Eyes

Discussions do sometimes happen.

RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2014, 12:35:51 AM »

Roll Eyes

Discussions do sometimes happen.
Wow, really? And RangeRover, I did read the first pages. There was some interesting stuff. I'm just a little bit pissed of to the fact that it looks like every other thread turns into a Beatles topic. Seriously.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2014, 03:32:24 AM »

« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 09:34:35 AM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2014, 03:32:41 AM »

« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 09:34:46 AM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2014, 09:06:13 AM »

I wonder how often Brian is listening to Be My Baby nowadays.
Several years ago, I read that he got rid of his Ronettes CDs?? and the only time he can get his fix is when it comes on the oldies TV channel.

Shocked Surely this would be unthinkable for Brian. He's let go so many addictions, at least let him listen to Be My Baby at superhigh volume whenever he feels like it, even if it is 50 times over 7 days a week  LOL .

If this is true, it must be a big moment indeed for Brian when the track does come on the oldies TV station.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 08, 2014, 07:25:22 PM »

I know what you are hinting at but you know, expressing large amount of emotion in singing doesn't equal to being a great performer. Sometimes, it doesn't even work (Joe Cocker, Tom Jones, Engelbert-sth., David Bowie) + you have to keep in mind that not everyone is gifted with such ability. If Ringo's voice is lifeless (not imo), he isn't to blame; there are lots of other criterias for liking (disliking) someone's voice, his being homely-comfy-friendly tone. No other singer, however emotive s/he sounds, will ever top his version of "...Help from My Friends". It's a fact.

Joe Cocker's version of "..Help from My Friends" was used as the theme song for the "Wonder Years" and I hated it  LOL

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx