gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 08:46:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's favourite music  (Read 20539 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2011, 08:40:23 AM »

About "that Lovin' Feeling"

There's an old tape somebody posted up on this board (it's a link to youtube) from the early 90's of Brian meeting Bruce Johnston and somebody else (possibly Al, or Jeff Foskett?) in a hotel lobby, and all of them a little inebriated playing songs on the piano.  When they start playing "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" Brian goes crazy, I would certainly think that's probably one of his favorites. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2011, 11:57:35 AM »

I wonder what Brian was listening to in the Smile era. What often gets overlooked (in the name of the Beach Boys vs. The Beatles debate) is the place that The Beach Boys had in the LA scene. How did Brian see himself in relation to, say, The Byrds, Love, Buffalo Springfield, The Yellow Balloon, The Association, Harper's Bizarre or even obscure groups like, say, The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band or The Peanut Butter Conspiracy. I mention this because just from listening to the material it seems that Brian took on very seriously the role of the artist in representing his place - whether that be the local surf scene or his place in the grander, American narrative.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2011, 01:38:38 PM »

I know that one of the bands he namechecks in an interview reprinted in LLVS is The Lovin' Spoonful. Also obvious, but I think it's around this time he actually learned to play Rhapsody in Blue, possibly off the Bernstein recording, so that had to have been an influence.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2011, 08:19:17 AM »

From "There's a Lot of Love in It",  Paul Williams' interview with Brian on December 4, 1995. In PW, How Deep Is The Ocean?, pp. 164-165.

BRIAN: I have a Kenny G album, his Christmas song album----have you heard it?
PAUL: No.
BRIAN: It's great. Really good. And then it starts skipping on this song, so my wife's gonna fix it tonight.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2011, 09:24:07 AM »

lol.  Brian doesn't know how CD's work.  That's cute. 
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2011, 09:38:14 AM »

In an interview he said his favorite rolling stones song is "my obsession" which threw me off.

My Obsession was a big influence on Fire and Fall Breaks and all the associated stuff, as far as I'm aware. Just listen how similar it is. It was quite a revelation when a poster pointed this out recently and I listened again to the Stones track. I think it was a huge influence on some of the Smile music, Dada included!

The My Bloody Valentine quote is brilliant. Great to think Brian is (or was at least) into stuff that cool.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2011, 09:58:12 AM »

Burt Bacharach - Not sure which songs

probably all of them. huge influence

Walk On By and Little Red Book were covered. and a half-assed attempt at Are You There.
any others?
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2011, 10:35:07 AM »

I wonder what Brian was listening to in the Smile era. What often gets overlooked (in the name of the Beach Boys vs. The Beatles debate) is the place that The Beach Boys had in the LA scene. How did Brian see himself in relation to, say, The Byrds, Love, Buffalo Springfield, The Yellow Balloon, The Association, Harper's Bizarre or even obscure groups like, say, The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band or The Peanut Butter Conspiracy. I mention this because just from listening to the material it seems that Brian took on very seriously the role of the artist in representing his place - whether that be the local surf scene or his place in the grander, American narrative.

Isn't there a period interview in LLVS where Brian's talking about a lot of other contemporary acts?  I seem to recall him coming across as pretty plugged-in.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2012, 01:32:46 AM »

Quote from Brian Grin
"WOW! I LOVE Kevin Shields! Loveless just blew me away. Knocked me clean outta my keds!"
Qmagazine
October 1996
I absolutely need a scan of this
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2012, 02:50:32 AM »

no one has mentioned The Drifters yet?

Ruby Baby and On Broadway were covered, but I'll bet Bri liked Under The Boardwalk, Save The Last Dance For Me and There Goes My Baby as well...
Has he ever commented on them?
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2012, 04:51:13 AM »

In an interview he said his favorite rolling stones song is "my obsession" which threw me off.

My Obsession was a big influence on Fire and Fall Breaks and all the associated stuff, as far as I'm aware. Just listen how similar it is. It was quite a revelation when a poster pointed this out recently and I listened again to the Stones track. I think it was a huge influence on some of the Smile music, Dada included!

The My Bloody Valentine quote is brilliant. Great to think Brian is (or was at least) into stuff that cool.

That's interesting.  On the very brief liner notes that he wrote for Classics Selected by Brian Wilson, he said that "Marcella" was the first song he wrote that was influenced by the Rolling Stones.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2012, 09:07:58 AM »

"ISTR Brian saying he liked Carole King's Tapestry album somewhere."

Listen to Natural Born Woman then to Pacific Coast Highway.

I'm sure I've read that he was a big fan of the incidental music for Laurel and Hardy.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2012, 11:25:48 AM »

Some of Brian's favorite albums:

Four Freshmen and Five Trombones by The Four Freshmen
Freshmen Favorites by The Four Freshmen
A Christmas Gift For You From Phil Spector by various
Rubber Soul by The Beatles
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles
Sail Away by Randy Newman

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »

Some of Brian's favorite albums:

Four Freshmen and Five Trombones by The Four Freshmen
Freshmen Favorites by The Four Freshmen
A Christmas Gift For You From Phil Spector by various
Rubber Soul by The Beatles
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles
Sail Away by Randy Newman

I'll add "Between the Buttons" by the Rolling Stones.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7cGd-2C_gQ

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2012, 12:57:55 PM »

Did Brian really like Sgt. Pepper's? He never seemed that thrilled about it, except when he was in the bean bag chair.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2012, 01:01:41 PM »

I know he loved 'She's Leaving Home' and was blown out by 'A Day In The Life' and beams proudly about Pet Sounds influencing Sgt. Pepper, so...i dunno, I just assumed he dug the album.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2012, 01:07:29 PM »

OF COURSE Brian loves Sgt. Pepper. We know that from 2:30 into this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5taTzrv400

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2012, 01:13:55 PM »

OF COURSE Brian loves Sgt. Pepper. We know that from 2:30 into this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5taTzrv400

LOL

Yeah, that's what I was incorrectly trying to allude to when I mentioned the bean bag chair. I just didn't want to actually watch that clip again to confirm whether I was right or wrong.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2012, 01:53:19 PM »

Did Brian really like Sgt. Pepper's? He never seemed that thrilled about it, except when he was in the bean bag chair.

He wrote the introduction to a book about The Beatles a few years back and cited that as his favorite album.  Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the book.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2012, 02:00:24 PM »

Found it!  It's The Beatles: Ten Years That Shook the World.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2012, 10:08:21 PM »

Curse you, Spaceman. You got me into watching a few clips of Summer Dreams, which I had heretofore never watched. UGH, makes An American Band look like the gospel truth.

ANYWAY. Brian must've like 'Gimme Some Lovin'' by the Spencer Davis Group and 'Baby I Need Your Lovin'' by the Four Tops since he smashed the two together back in the early '70s. Turns out he started the whole mashup craze long before Danger Mouse was even in diapers. :D

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2012, 01:50:25 PM »

Re: "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling". After listening to Brian's unreleased version of it, tend to think it's better than the original by The Righteous Bros. And better done than "Just Once In My Life" - another song by those Brothers imo. Your mileage can be varied, of course.

Don't know if it's better than the original, but it's certainly a wonderful version and let's hope that it might yet see an official release on that "career-spanning box set" that's due in the next couple of months.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2014, 03:46:05 AM »

he mentions Rosemary Clooney all the time.  He likes Nat King Cole a lot too.  

Do you know of any specific songs?

Brian actually attended Rosemary Clooney's funeral if you can believe that.  Brian liked her version of "When You Wish Upon a Star". 
Didn't Audree own some Rosemary Clooney records? I seem to remember reading somewhere that Brian's singing along with them had some effect on the lack of a break in his voice through to the falsetto range. And maybe it was Ms. Clooney's version of "WYWUAS" that was on Brian's mind when he wrote "Surfer Girl"...   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2014, 06:59:48 AM »

Quote from Brian Grin
"WOW! I LOVE Kevin Shields! Loveless just blew me away. Knocked me clean outta my keds!"
Qmagazine
October 1996

Is this a joke? I want to believe it, though.

I read that and thought "WHAT???". And then I realised that I had that actual issue of Q on a bookshelf behind my head as I was reading the thread. I wanted to believe it too... but I'm sorry to say that I can't find *any* quotes from Brian anywhere in that issue of the mag, much less one about MBV.

On the other hand, perhaps I just missed it. Anyone remember what kind of article it was in?

On the other other hand, perhaps it's an urban myth. It does sound a *bit* too good to be true...
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2014, 10:39:16 AM »

There was an interview during the 70s where Brian said he loved George Harrison's and Ringo's solo stuff.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx