gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680780 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 07:06:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's favourite music  (Read 20536 times)
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 08, 2014, 07:35:21 PM »

There was an interview during the 70s where Brian said he loved George Harrison's and Ringo's solo stuff.

Man, the 70's really were a dark time for Brian...
I know what you are hinting at but you know, expressing large amount of emotion in singing doesn't equal to being a great performer. Sometimes, it doesn't even work (Joe Cocker, Tom Jones, Engelbert-sth., David Bowie) + you have to keep in mind that not everyone is gifted with such ability. If Ringo's voice is lifeless (not imo), he isn't to blame; there are lots of other criterias for liking (disliking) someone's voice, his being homely-comfy-friendly tone. No other singer, however emotive s/he sounds, will ever top his version of "...Help from My Friends". It's a fact.

Joe Cocker's version of "..Help from My Friends" was used as the theme song for the "Wonder Years" and I hated it  LOL

Agreed. Made me hate Teh Beatles' version even more than Ringo did.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2014, 07:38:41 PM »

What's wrong with Joe Cocker's version of With A Little Help From My Friends? It's IMO the definitive version on the song, and it adds so much life to the song.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2014, 07:41:44 PM »

Please don't say "definitive."
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 07:44:45 PM by MarcellaHasDirtyFeet » Logged
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 08, 2014, 08:19:13 PM »

What's wrong with Joe Cocker's version of With A Little Help From My Friends? It's IMO the definitive version on the song, and it adds so much life to the song.

I just don't care much for him, and I agree with RangeRover about Ringo's version, when I hear the title of that song he's the first one I think of.  it's just like how I prefer Denny's version of YASB to his.  they both have raspy voices but sometimes (for me) Joe goes over the top  Undecided

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #104 on: July 08, 2014, 08:35:22 PM »

I just don't care much for him, and I agree with RangeRover about Ringo's version, when I hear the title of that song he's the first one I think of.  it's just like how I prefer Denny's version of YASB to his.  they both have raspy voices but sometimes (for me) Joe goes over the top  Undecided

I agree with you on You Are So Beautiful.
But it's not just how he sings WALHFMF, it's the arrangement too. There's a reason why it's more popular and why most people think of Cocker when they hear that song.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2014, 08:44:05 PM »

But it's not just how he sings WALHFMF, it's the arrangement too. There's a reason why it's more popular and why most people think of Cocker when they hear that song.
Really? I thought the Ringo version is the most recognizable. Could care less about Joe Cocker, he doesn't have that much interesting voice, I quickly get bored hearing him (circa 20-30 songs grand total).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2014, 10:57:32 PM »

I always liked his version of "She came in through the Bathroom Window" better than "With a Little Help From My Friends". 

There are two ways you can appreciate Joe Cocker.

1. A lot of people appreciate him because of the amount of emotion he puts into a song, it's a similar style to what Janis Joplin popularized (around the same time Cocker first did).  To some people, this adds an incredible amount of beauty to the song and makes it very memorable.

2. To a lot of other people (Me; my brother, a few of my friends)... we appreciate him, because he has the AUDACITY to do what he does to songs.  to take a song like "With a Little Help From My Friends" and turn it into what he did.... just... WOW.  The guy has such balls.  I could never get in front of an audience and just let it all hang out like he does, I'd be so self conscious of how I looked or sounded... but not Cocker.  He has the balls to stand there and sing like THAT, way over the top, completely balls-to-the-wall, and doesn't really care what you think about it.  It's his own style, and it's admirable. 

That part where the hollaback girls go "Do you need, anybody?" and Joe just goes "WHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!"  Is just amazing.  Such balls.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2014, 11:07:38 PM »

1st way is definitely not for me, as Joe's "emotion" doesn't impress me ATT ALL. 2nd - audacity - is right up my alley & I usually admire when artists do sth. unexpected, but in case of Joe, it to me is going overboard & trying hard to be ultra cool.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx